Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffith's Evaluation - new site

Options
  • 27-07-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_start.php

It was in last Saturday's Irish Times. I have to say it does infuriate me... It's very difficult to find ancestors using the Griffith evaluation because of the limited information, especially in comparison to the census... but it's interesting non-the-less and includes original pages from the evaluation. Not a penny to pay.

I've been working on my Family Tree intensely and I thought I might add some useful (free) sites:
    http://www.failteromhat.com/index.php (useful for the directories e.g. Slater's, Pettigrew, Pigot's and Griffith's)
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (1911 census of Dublin; Kerry, Antrim and Down will be available online in October 2008)
    http://interment.net/ireland/index.htm (cemetery records, partial, from various submitters)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

My sister has been looking for that,thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

Wow they're taking a long time with the 1911 census. I also hated the order they were put in.
    Looked up the griffiths valuation but it was no help to me, barr my one ancestor with a very uncommon surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

You are lucky to have that uncommon surname. I'm stuck searching Hughes, Hackett, McCarr, Murphy, Kavanagh. Ugh!

I went down to my local library (Dun Laoghaire) today after noticing that they had 1901 census down in their catalogue. I had thought I would have to go into the National Archives to see anything (something I've been putting off). Turned out the library only had reels for Dun Laoghaire and Glasthule, but it is something I suppose. So, check out your local library if you are curious ;) I think they had other census too, but didn't ask about them. Supposedly their Heritage guy was off today... but tomorrow I shall find out!

Oh, I know about the library thing, I keep meaning to go but I'd have to go to a westmeath one. I was also at the National Archives but it was all too confusing to my mother and me.

oh, I have to also recommed http://www.irish-roots.ie/pay-per-view.asp. They get you to sign up and pay to view the records, BUT you can get an awful lot of records by just signing up and searching the site. It has births, marriages and deaths from 1700 to 1900 or so. Again, it's more helpful if you have an unusual name, or if you already know some names from the 1911 census or family records. I have been able to find birthdates (year) and info on the children who had died before the 1911 census using it, but mainly because they had Mc Carr in as Mac Carr, which isn't common :D It doesn't include all counties (yet) and I wonder if all records are present.

I haven't paid to view yet, but I sure would like to find out details! Perhaps there is another way to ask the local church... whichever it is... ugh!

Munya: I have been putting off going to the National Archives for the fear of being confused. Even a little bit of info from my local library will hold be for a while. And honestly I'd be tempted to try other libraries. Does anyone know which libraries provide such a service with the microfilm?

I have yet to return to my local today...

• Advertisement

€5 a record?!! It's so wrong that they can charge that.
    I did ask at church.Got a flat out no at one, I couldn't believe it having known the priest so long, and at another church which I had never been to before the priest let us in to look and couldn't have been nicer.
    Maybe I'm reading you wrong but I'm almost certain every library only has the records for the locality.

Omg I just found a record that would probably give me the name of my great2 grandmother but I just couldn't bring myself to pay for it.

He he he! It is great how you see names travel in families :)

I asked a guy involved in my local church and he was very certain that unless the person was your mother/father, you couldn't see the records. I guess it does depend on the church. Odd though, cause I presume you must be able to see the certificates somehow...

You might be right that every (main) library has the info for their locality but I can't imagine they can all afford a microfilm reader or have space to put it.

I spent 4 hours looking through films yesterday and had no luck. They were organised by street, but different rolls would overlap on the letter (depending East/West perhaps?). I read every surname and every street name but couldn't find my ancestor's street/surname.

Anyhow, Dun Laoghaire library have about 7 rolls of film (that I was shown) and in case ayone is interested;
    1)Dun Laoghaire (Patrick St -> York Rd),
    2)Dun Laoghaire (Abbey Road -> Gannon's Court and George's Place -> Mounttown Avenue),
    3) Killiney (Ballinclea -> Shanganagh) and Dun Laoghaire (Clarence St -> Carraigbrennan Road),
    4) Glasthule (Glenegary Hill -> Windsor Terrace),
    5)Blackrock,
    6)Blackrock,
    7) Dun Laoghaire (Haddington, East -> Victoria Terrace) and Glasthule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com site has some good links to it, not least to the Griffith's Evaluation and the 1901, though it is limited. Anyone with Roscommon relations, as I have, will find some good information there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Just looked a Griffith Valuation,

my GG Grandfather( mothers side lived 2 doors away from my fathers family.

One hundred years before my parents married :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement