Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sonny Bill Williams quits League for Union?

• 27-07-2008 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

According to reports from Down Under, NRL superstar Sonny Bill Williams left Sydney on Saturday and headed for France where he is rumoured to be on the verge of signing a contract with Toulon. This also follows the announcement that another marquee player in the NRL, Mark Gasnier, is joining Stade Francais in October.

I'm not a big league fan, but when living in Sydney a couple of years ago it was impossible to avoid. This guy has been one of the league's posterboys for the past couple of seasons, and from the few games I saw him in, he's a fine player. He's a New Zealander, made his debut for the Canterbury Bulldogs at 18 and won a NRL Premiership in his first season and also was selected for New Zealand against Australia in the 2004 ANZAC Test. He was also named on the BBC's World XIII.

He signed a new five-year contract with the Bulldogs in March 2007 reportedly worth AU$2.5 million (€1.55 million). Apparently he's been at loggerheads with them lately over money, and he's also had issues with some press he's received for his off-the-field activities. Reports are that he's going to sign a two-year, AU$3 million (€1.9 million) with Toulon, which is a massive jump in coin from his current contract.

He was picked to play for the Bulldogs in tomorrow night's game against St George Illawarra Dragons, and with the NRL season halfway through, the Bulldogs are now considering what action to take against Williams. The CEO of the Bulldogs has said that legal action is a possibility, and the head of the NRL boss David Gallop has called on the IRB to block the move saying that: "This can't be good for either of the codes. Contractual stability is important to both, and if they don't get involved then they're condoning a form of international piracy."

I can empathise with the NRL and the Bulldogs, but also with the players in question, as they only have a limited shelf life to make the most of their talents and get the financial rewards on offer. It appears that some of the Union NH clubs, like Toulon and Clermont, are intent on buying up the best available talent á la Chelsea. This can only be detrimental to the smaller clubs, especially in the SH, where the markets of both codes are nowhere near as big as Europe.

Hopefully intelligent restrictions on overseas players can be enforced for the good of both codes worldwide, and that it won't turn into a farce like soccer where the highest bidder rules no matter what the effect on the sport as a whole. An international dimension in clubs is beneficial to develop different styles of play, but if the SH sees a drain of talent to the money-spinning clubs in the north, then it's only going to ruin the game there.

Here's some footage of him

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Hopefully he won't find it too difficult to adapt to tackling people properly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

He just needs to be told to that your not supposed to go into the women's toilets especially when there's a certain someone inside them :p

Stev_o wrote: »
    He just needs to be told to that your not supposed to go into the women's toilets especially when there's a certain someone inside them :p
    Munster supporters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Amz wrote: »
    Hopefully he won't find it too difficult to adapt to tackling people properly :)

:D

Personally I don't get the attraction of hits like that. Sure, it's obviously painful on the victim, but IMO there's not much skill in body checking or shoulder charging someone, especially if you blindside them.

Munster supporters?

He got caught in a comprimsing position with a female ironwoman in a toilet......

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know, it was a joke at the expense of the Munster supporters who hid in the ladies toilets the night before their HEC match earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

juvenal wrote: »
    According to reports from Down Under, NRL superstar Sonny Bill Williams left Sydney on Saturday and headed for France where he is rumoured to be on the verge of signing a contract with Toulon. This also follows the announcement that another marquee player in the NRL, Mark Gasnier, is joining Stade Francais in October.

I'm not a big league fan, but when living in Sydney a couple of years ago it was impossible to avoid. This guy has been one of the league's posterboys for the past couple of seasons, and from the few games I saw him in, he's a fine player. He's a New Zealander, made his debut for the Canterbury Bulldogs at 18 and won a NRL Premiership in his first season and also was selected for New Zealand against Australia in the 2004 ANZAC Test. He was also named on the BBC's World XIII.

He signed a new five-year contract with the Bulldogs in March 2007 reportedly worth AU$2.5 million (€1.55 million). Apparently he's been at loggerheads with them lately over money, and he's also had issues with some press he's received for his off-the-field activities. Reports are that he's going to sign a two-year, AU$3 million (€1.9 million) with Toulon, which is a massive jump in coin from his current contract.

He was picked to play for the Bulldogs in tomorrow night's game against St George Illawarra Dragons, and with the NRL season halfway through, the Bulldogs are now considering what action to take against Williams. The CEO of the Bulldogs has said that legal action is a possibility, and the head of the NRL boss David Gallop has called on the IRB to block the move saying that: "This can't be good for either of the codes. Contractual stability is important to both, and if they don't get involved then they're condoning a form of international piracy."

I can empathise with the NRL and the Bulldogs, but also with the players in question, as they only have a limited shelf life to make the most of their talents and get the financial rewards on offer. It appears that some of the Union NH clubs, like Toulon and Clermont, are intent on buying up the best available talent á la Chelsea. This can only be detrimental to the smaller clubs, especially in the SH, where the markets of both codes are nowhere near as big as Europe.

Hopefully intelligent restrictions on overseas players can be enforced for the good of both codes worldwide, and that it won't turn into a farce like soccer where the highest bidder rules no matter what the effect on the sport as a whole. An international dimension in clubs is beneficial to develop different styles of play, but if the SH sees a drain of talent to the money-spinning clubs in the north, then it's only going to ruin the game there.

Football's not a farce. ;)

Moreover, the increasing revenue in rugby means it will have to follow football. It will never be as rich obviously, but the exact same conditions exist.

Besides, if you restrict player movement, you'll just have a Bosman moment eventually. Then the floodgates open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Absolutely massive news over here and their are a lot of very unhappy NRL officials and fans, indeed the NRL are threatening to impose a lifetime ban from the game in Australia on him should he not return. After losing Gasnier and possibly now Williams, it's safe to say that the NRL is shitting it. If they keep losing players of this stature then the game is going to go downhill very rapidly here imo, especially with Super 14 looking at expansion plans due to its increasing popularity.

Football's not a farce. ;)

Moreover, the increasing revenue in rugby means it will have to follow football. It will never be as rich obviously, but the exact same conditions exist.

Besides, if you restrict player movement, you'll just have a Bosman moment eventually. Then the floodgates open.

Meh, from a sporting perspective it's more of a business, but I still follow it, not like the diehards over in the soccer forum though! ;)

Unfortunately it seems that it may be heading that way; there's no distinction between the 'employee' and the 'player', and considering they're professional, why should there be?

It's difficult, as I'd personally like to see restrictions, but that would go against the well documented EU employment laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Absolutely massive news over here and their are a lot of very unhappy NRL officials and fans, indeed the NRL are threatening to impose a lifetime ban from the game in Australia on him should he not return. After losing Gasnier and possibly now Williams, it's safe to say that the NRL is shitting it. If they keep losing players of this stature then the game is going to go downhill very rapidly here imo, especially with Super 14 looking at expansion plans due to its increasing popularity.

+1 here is a Link.

and with AFL extension plans for west sydney, who knows where NRL will go.

• Advertisement

Yeah I saw on my feeds from the SMH and The Age it's headline news both front and back! I was away for the weekend here and was actually surprised it hadn't come up for discussion here.

Looking at the reports it appears that the NRL and the Bulldogs are going to be backing each other 100% in making this an issue. I don't blame them, as Gasnier was a blow, but this is a near disaster both in sporting and marketing terms.

As you said, with Super 14 looking at expansion, and also the AFL going from strength to strength, League has a battle on its hands to keep it's market share. Obviously it's core support is around Sydney and rural NSW and in Queensland, but for now it would appear prudent to be more focused on retaining it's support rather than thinking about future plans.

As a sport I personally had zero time for it, and while I'm still not a fan, I'd no choice to watch it in Sydney and it kinda half-grew on me. It's such a massive game in Australia and played at a different level than the GB superleague it opened my eyes a bit. It would be a shame for it to die away professionally because of the lure of the bucks from Union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

According to reports from Down Under, NRL superstar Sonny Bill Williams left Sydney on Saturday and headed for France where he is rumoured to be on the verge of signing a contract with Toulon.
    Another huge blow for the doggies, in the less than a year they have lost both of their marquee players. They gotta be the prime candidates for being moved outta Sydney now.

So Toulon has Collins and Williams. Are gregan and Oliver still hanging around?
    If they keep losing players of this stature then the game is going to go downhill very rapidly here imo, especially with Super 14 looking at expansion plans due to its increasing popularity.

While SANZAR are looking at launching another super-14 team in Australia(as well as another in SA) I wouldn’t say its popularity that’s driving it. The 4 existing teams are struggling to get over 20,000 to most games, the waratahs numbers only picked up at the tail end of last season due to their run to the final.
    Even the last game of the season against the sharks(which was 2nd versus 3rd from memory) only just broke 20K.
    If they do launch another team(gotta be Melbourne) there will be a hell of a lot more leagies being poached as Australia doesn’t have enough players to support 4 competitive s-14 teams at the moment, never mind 5.

pucan wrote: »
    Another huge blow for the doggies, in the less than a year they have lost both of their marquee players. They gotta be the prime candidates for being moved outta Sydney now.

So Toulon has Collins and Williams. Are gregan and Oliver still hanging around?

AFAIK Oliver just retired and is now going to be studying at Oxford :eek: Gregan was on a one-year contract, and I believe he's on his way to Japan for another payday. Andrew Mehrtens and Victor Matfield are also leaving apparently, so look out for another couple of superstars to be signed before the new season in Top 14
    While SANZAR are looking at launching another super-14 team in Australia(as well as another in SA) I wouldn’t say its popularity that’s driving it. The 4 existing teams are struggling to get over 20,000 to most games, the waratahs numbers only picked up at the tail end of last season due to their run to the final.
    Even the last game of the season against the sharks(which was 2nd versus 3rd from memory) only just broke 20K.
    If they do launch another team(gotta be Melbourne) there will be a hell of a lot more leagies being poached as Australia doesn’t have enough players to support 4 competitive s-14 teams at the moment, never mind 5.

I'd be surprised if they pushed for a new franchise now. I went to a few Waratahs games, and I was shocked at the attendances. Granted, they were decent in comparison to Guinness Prem or Magners League, I guess I just expected them to be bigger! Obviously they garnered a bit more support with their run last season.

Melbourne is the only option, and although IMO there's very little interest in Union there, Melbournians are sports mad so they might embrace the team. There's just so much competitiveness between the AFL teams for fans that it's a wonder that the Storm and Victory get such a good following!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

I wouldn't get too carried away. League is a massive game in Oz and can manage fine without Williams, Gasnier et al. Thus always has it been. We're well used to having our top players poached by Union...Here in the UK the Super League goes from strength to strength, its never been richer or more popular than it is now and the recent SL expansion bodes well for the games future..Granted there's an overdependence on Aussie players but teams like Quins and Leeds are increasingly focusing on developing their own players. The work Quins RL are doing in London is absolutely unbelievable, and the game is literally exploding in Blighty at he moment.

Also the recent record of big name players transferring to union has been extremely patchy. Wings/FB's even SH's tend to do well but guys like williams, i.e loosies or second rows tend to find the transition extremely difficult...one need only look at Andy Farrell, a player V. similar to Sonny who was about half the player in union he was in League...Williams will have to play in the centre and I don't reckon thats a natural position for him, its a very different kettle of fish in union...

Perhaps someone should look at the ease with which players can currently transfer between codes, but frankly re: the Wiliams thing, thus always has it been....

And on a point of information, I don't see the Bosman ruling as being relevant to many of these transfers as they largely involve players from the SH. The Bosman ruling concerns itself largely with the free movement of EU born players within the EU. The SH rugby powers (both league and union) are pooing themselves because of the sheer amount of cash which NH teams can chuck about. With professional rugby careers becoming increasingly nasty, brutish and short, who can blame players who's shelf life is shorter and shorter these days, voting with their wallets?

The only sanction unions can implement is denying people the prospect of international selection should they choose to play their rugby outside their native country, but frankly that has proven to be massively counter productive almost everywhere it's been tried...witness Matt Williams disastrous 'Fortress Scotland' policy.And if you're a young player with a ten year window, max...you're going to make the best of it...

And on a final note teams like Toulon, can be jam packed with brilliant star studded individuals brought in on the whim of a rich sugar daddy but it doesn't guarantee success on the field.(Saracens anyone)..still if Gasnier, Williams et al don't make it big in Toulon/S. Francais they can always head down the road to the Catalans Dragons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

They can still only pick 15 players :)

I have to admit, I've caught myself actually watching RL a few times recently, It's not a bad game, although I don't know the rules at all.

Regarding the attendances at S14 games, It always struck me how low they are.

At Leinster we've had a packed house of 17/18k last season, and if LR was avaiulable, I'm sure we'd have filled it 2 to 3 times.

I've heard the atmosphere can be a little lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Realistically I think Leinster would begin peaking around 23 to 25k. For ML games at least. Towards the latter half of the Heineken Cup you might start seeing 50 or 60k crowds but that's about it really. Still one of the best supported teams in rugby though. Compare 'em to the Currie Cup crowds. :P

The Bosman rule applies to all footballers irregardless of nationality as far as I'm aware and despite being a ruling based on the EU's regualtions.. Certainly in Europe.

Economics dictates that for the foreseeable future, the players will all head to England and France. At least the SH lads. Wales, Ireland and Scotland can all just about hold onto their players. No-one else has that luxury, but then, what sports do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

toomevara wrote: »
    I wouldn't get too carried away. League is a massive game in Oz and can manage fine without Williams, Gasnier et al. Thus always has it been. We're well used to having our top players poached by Union...
    Well, I would be worried if I was in RL administration. The English quid and French franc are going to lure a lot more players over. There is already talk of two more players (Thurston, Inglis) being signed up. If these players were players who had full careers already this wouldnt be too much of a worry, as they could treat it like many players outside the fringes or about to retire treat the Super League or Guinnes Premiership ie. as a cash-in.
    Here in the UK the Super League goes from strength to strength, its never been richer or more popular than it is now and the recent SL expansion bodes well for the games future..Granted there's an overdependence on Aussie players but teams like Quins and Leeds are increasingly focusing on developing their own players. The work Quins RL are doing in London is absolutely unbelievable, and the game is literally exploding in Blighty at he moment
    The SL has been swamped by Pac Islanders, Aussies and Kiwis. It will take a good bit longer to undo this though the RFL are definitely going about it the right way.
    Also the recent record of big name players transferring to union has been extremely patchy. Wings/FB's even SH's tend to do well but guys like williams, i.e loosies or second rows tend to find the transition extremely difficult...one need only look at Andy Farrell, a player V. similar to Sonny who was about half the player in union he was in League...Williams will have to play in the centre and I don't reckon thats a natural position for him, its a very different kettle of fish in union...
    Faz was 32 and had a full career behind him as well as being highly injury prone in his latter years. Sanny Bull Wulliums is how old? Early 20s?
    Perhaps someone should look at the ease with which players can currently transfer between codes, but frankly re: the Wiliams thing, thus always has it been....
    It has taken Brad Thorn this long to be this good at rugby union. How many transitions have done well in a rugby union pack so far? The disastrous signings (in any position) outweigh the successes, in my opinion. The best cross-code signing I've ever seen was Andrew Walker. In 2001, that fella was in crash-hot form but alas, his own personal problems prevented this. Now he's back, its too late. Tuquiri is excellent too. Robinson was a great signing as well. Sailor was not up to it and his signing wrongfully edged a better player in Scott Staniforth to head to the NH in order to further his career thus knocking him out of international contention. Sailor was a 'political' signing. Rogers wanted the 10 shirt and buggered off sook-style when he couldn't get it. Remember Mundine? Trindall?
    I would say you might find plenty players struggling to see any ease in a cross-code transition to rugby union.
    Would like to see Willie Mason or Petero Civoniceva give it a whirl meself. Think they'd be excellent blindsiders. Joey Johns would have been a great pivot. Jas Taylor would have been a superb halfback. Thought Menzies would have made a good lock in rugby union in his heyday.
    Then again, there are rugby union players out there who would have made great rugby league players.
    And on a point of information, I don't see the Bosman ruling as being relevant to many of these transfers as they largely involve players from the SH. The Bosman ruling concerns itself largely with the free movement of EU born players within the EU. The SH rugby powers (both league and union) are pooing themselves because of the sheer amount of cash which NH teams can chuck about. With professional rugby careers becoming increasingly nasty, brutish and short, who can blame players who's shelf life is shorter and shorter these days, voting with their wallets?
    The Kolpak ruling and its likes are more relevant than the Bosman ruling. Agree though. Nobody can blame a player for making their living in the short space of time usually afforded to them to do so.
    The only sanction unions can implement is denying people the prospect of international selection should they choose to play their rugby outside their native country, but frankly that has proven to be massively counter productive almost everywhere it's been tried...witness Matt Williams disastrous 'Fortress Scotland' policy.And if you're a young player with a ten year window, max...you're going to make the best of it...
    To maintain the correct pecking order (International > Provincial > Club), there has to be some effort made in keeping players home. Otherwise, the game will go like soccer in this respect thanks to the likes of Cardiff, Leicester, London Irish, Northampton, Clermont-Auvergne, Stade F al signing craploads of non-home qualified players. Cardiff play SIX on-field ffs.
    And on a final note teams like Toulon, can be jam packed with brilliant star studded individuals brought in on the whim of a rich sugar daddy but it doesn't guarantee success on the field.(Saracens anyone)..still if Gasnier, Williams et al don't make it big in Toulon/S. Francais they can always head down the road to the Catalans Dragons...
    Not a bad place to start though.

I dont know where SBW is going to play but one thing is for sure: He's going to have to learn to use his arms in a tackle before he takes any rugby union field.

zAbbo wrote: »

I have to admit, I've caught myself actually watching RL a few times recently, It's not a bad game, although I don't know the rules at all.

*Back...Back..... to Mordor we will take you*.......;)

The more you watch the better it gets....incredibly subtle game in a way that most, but not all, union fans fail to recognise....Keep watching!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mc23

Any ideas what Sonny bills best position would be in union. From what Ive seen of him I think outside centre.

mc23 wrote: »
    Any ideas what Sonny bills best position would be in union. From what Ive seen of him I think outside centre.

See posts above...centre initially, but he'd make a good no.7 if he can make the conversion successfully, big if though....

• Advertisement

Just watching the sports news here at the moment and the NRL and the Bulldogs are ready to take legal action against Williams who is currently stranded in London. There's no way he can ever go back to the NRL after this and there are some very irate Dogs fans being interviewed here tonight. Apparently the deal has been done in a very underhanded way with Williams having planned it weeks in advance, his gf has even been getting French lessons lately.

Willie Mason is now being tipped to make the move across the water as well.

Just watching the sports news here at the moment and the NRL and the Bulldogs are ready to take legal action against Williams who is currently stranded in London. There's no way he can ever go back to the NRL after this and there are some very irate Dogs fans being interviewed here tonight. Apparently the deal has been done in a very underhanded way with Williams having planned it weeks in advance, his gf has even been getting French lessons lately.

Willie Mason is now being tipped to make the move across the water as well.

French lessons! :D

It sounds like it's wall-to-wall coverage there Xavi, and that's just gauging the internet chatter.

To add insult to injury, the Dragons thumped the Bulldogs 30-0 tonight in Sydney. And according to the NRL, SBW has been issued with a subpoena to appear in court in NSW next Tuesday. Further reports suggest that Toulon have denied they've signed him, and that he may be on his way to Toulouse!? Weird. . .

Breaking news now that Williams is going to challenge the validity of salary caps in the NRL which could have a knock on affect for AFL, Union and soccer. The plot thickens.

Breaking news now that Williams is going to challenge the validity of salary caps in the NRL which could have a knock on affect for AFL, Union and soccer. The plot thickens.

Now that really is a pandora's box...curiouser and curiouser...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Sonny Bill could end up doing some time potentially. The Doggys CEO was seething and intends, with NRL support, to unleash the full weight of the law on him.
    An injunction had been sought form supreme court and if SBW break the injunction the only remedy is jail.

Its a crazy situation but he deserves all the ire he gets for the manner in which he left. The guy may end up on the books of the Doggies but unplayable in the Toulon squad for a long time, while some legal wrangle unfolds. Reports say he did not even mention the move to close friends.

He is highly rated here but perhaps will be only a one trick pony centre at Union and Im sure he lacks the technical nouse to play back row, he is still young though - only time will tell....

This is the chick from the toliet rendezvous !

I'd be surprised if they pushed for a new franchise now. I went to a few Waratahs games, and I was shocked at the attendances. Granted, they were decent in comparison to Guinness Prem or Magners League,

Melbourne is the only option, and although IMO there's very little interest in Union there, Melbournians are sports mad so they might embrace the team.

Sydneysiders are **** at supporting their teams in general.

Appartently its the large english and kiwi expat communities in Melbourne they woul be targeting as the primary support for a new -s14 team. Although i think SANZAR have decided that expanding the finals series to 6 teams if enough change for the moment.
    zAbbo wrote: »
    Regarding the attendances at S14 games, It always struck me how low they are.

At Leinster we've had a packed house of 17/18k last season, and if LR was avaiulable, I'm sure we'd have filled it 2 to 3 times.

I've heard the atmosphere can be a little lacking.

Attendances average between 20 & 25K last season. And that was a season the waratahs finished 2nd.
    Union supporters sit quietly and politely applaud.

Attendances average between 20 & 25K last season. And that was a season the waratahs finished 2nd.
    Union supporters sit quietly and politely applaud.

Indeed they do. I've been to a fair few Western Force games and the atmosphere is generally woeful, even though there's over 25,000 in the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Am I the only person who read the title of this thread and thought: "Who the truck is Sonny Bill Williams?"?

Am I the only person who read the title of this thread and thought: "Who the truck is Sonny Bill Williams?"?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Poster boy ehm the big hard man of League down under

Stev_o wrote: »
    Poster boy ehm the big hard man of League down under
    0,5001,5319152,00.jpg

Rarr!

Be glad that's the picture I chose :)

OK enough ogling and drooling, but just to put things in context for folks who've never heard of dear old SBW, he's regarded by many in league as the finest player of his generation who had the capacity to become an all time great...

But back to the matter in hand, what's the latest sit-rep? Where is Sonny, still cooling his heels in heathrow? Is it Toulon or Toulouse? What's the latest on the legal machinations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

0,5001,5319152,00.jpg

Rarr!

Be glad that's the picture I chose :)
    i may google him:D:D:D

I'm glad i did came(maybe i should not use that term!!) accross a another dish called Ben Ross!!

For the benefit of the boys, that was the least revealing one I felt the need to post.

Well it appears that it's after opening up a whole can or worms in the NRL, and to a lesser extent Australian professional sports, regarding the salary cap.

NRL players can expect to earn at most AU$500,000 per year, compared to the AU$1.5 million on offer to SBW.

According to the legal eagles down in Oz, any challenge to the salary cap is likely to fail, as courts are more concerned with how reasonable the rules are rather than whether they are technically illegal.

SBW is in London awaiting clearance to travel to France. He travelled to the UK on his Samoan passport, and therefore needs a visa to go to France. He's now waiting on his New Zealand passport, with which he can go to France without a visa.

L'Equipe's website have reported that he's due to meet with Umaga later this week. After saying at the weekend the SBW was not set to join the club, Toulon president Mourad Boudjellal said, "Williams wishes to meet Tana and speak with him, this will happen this week."

To add further fuel, new Toulon backrower Jerry Collins says SBW is welcome to the club, saying "We're very glad to have him." :D

• Advertisement

For the benefit of the boys, that was the least revealing one I felt the need to post.

Yes, a certain hastily snapped toilet cubicle shot of SBW in-flagrante, led to my other half asking the immortal question, in breathless tone..."is that his arm or.....", ahem *apologises profusely for shamelessly lowering tone of the rugby forum*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

Well it appears that it's after opening up a whole can or worms in the NRL, and to a lesser extent Australian professional sports, regarding the salary cap
    There are in fact far greater implications if this all goes ahead.

If 'Sanny Bull' is permitted to jump contract like this then any contract in any sport will not be worth the paper they're written on.
    This does not bode well for professional sport if it happens. It is not a rugby league v rugby union matter. It will affect every sport you can imagine.

JWAD wrote: »
    There are in fact far greater implications if this all goes ahead.

If 'Sanny Bull' is permitted to jump contract like this then any contract in any sport will not be worth the paper they're written on.
    This does not bode well for professional sport if it happens. It is not a rugby league v rugby union matter. It will affect every sport you can imagine.

Agreed, the legal implications are absolutely huge and indeed virtually limitless/unpredictable, should SBW be allowed to break his contract with the Broncos.

Given that Australia is a country whose legal system is based on the common law as in Ireland and the UK, this move will definitely have relevance here....sports lawyers, agents, players and managers will be watching this one with great interest....

Agreed, the legal implications are absolutely huge and indeed virtually limitless/unpredictable, should SBW be allowed to break his contract with the Broncos.

Bulldogs btw.

Another twist:
    'No pay rise for Sonny Bill'

July 31, 2008 - 10:19AM

Sonny Bill Williams will only earn the same money he is paid in the NRL by the Bulldogs if he signs to play rugby union with Toulon, according to the French club's millionaire owner.
    http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/toulon-chief-rubbishes-3m-deal/2008/07/31/1217097386325.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

That might be so that they can claim he wasn't lured by money to avoid some conflict. He'll probably be on win bonus/appearance bonus type thing.

Pure speculation on my part

• Advertisement

Bulldogs btw.

Doh! For some reason, in my daft brain, the word Bulldogs and Broncos have become interchangeable!

Old Boudjellal really stirring the pot, his assertion that other French clubs are looking to NRL unlikely to calm folk down any....

Further news from Australia indicates that the Bulldogs and the NRL are extending an olive branch to Williams, and that they'd welcome him back to the NRL "if he offers a legitimate excuse for his departure."

It appears that they've accepted his departure for now, but are hoping he may reconsider.

There's no word from Toulon yet, although the NZ RL coach said that he became aware of SBW's plans last month after Tana Umaga met him in Melbourne and told him he'd met with William's management team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Hes a great rl player but I think he could find ru tougher

(I'd like to see him at the bottom of a ruck):p:pac:

Just a final update on this. . .

He's signed for Toulon for one year, with an option on a second year. Obviously the confirmation has not gone down well in Oz, and the legal action against him looks like it will continue.

He may make his debut tomorrow evening at inside centre against Carque-Hyeres in a challenge match. He also said that Umaga was one of the main factors in his decision, saying "Everything added up - ex-rugby league player, rugby union convert, All Blacks captain, Samoan heritage, icon of the game. It sums it up, really."

Personally I don't really buy his argument that he is a pioneer renegade giving two-fingers to the businessmen and going to look after himself where he'll get more money. It's a tough argument, as I feel in most professional sports there's little room for loyalty and it's all down to the figure at the bottom of the balance sheet for the suits. But where does this leave the sport, if everyone is a mercenary, always looking for the deal.

The money that players earn comes from one source, the general public. Without the fans, there'd be no gate receipts, no TV subscriptions and no sponsorships. Then there'd be no fat paycheque and no Ferraris and no private jets. If any average joe was earning €5 million a year, in two years they'd have earned more than enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their days and to ensure their families were also taken care of. Is more money really the motivator, and has greed like this overshadowed the titles and the accolades that go with success?

I don't expect anyone to sell themselves short, but salary caps are necessary to ensure that professional sports don't become a mirror of world economies, where 10% have 90% of the wealth and vice-versa. What's the point if two or three teams always have the success and the money, like the Premier League, and the rest of the peloton never have the means to achieve the financial wealth to progress in the sport.

While salary caps have their flaws, there hasn't been any better system that will ensure competitiveness and the progress and evolution of sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Hmmm. I don't think he was ever a front row man, Amz. I think you know what I'm saying. ;)

I'm sure I do not :)

The clown couldn't help but unleash his patented shoulder tackle into the head routine in his first game of union. Binned for 10, the muppet.

The clown couldn't help but unleash his patented shoulder tackle into the head routine in his first game of union. Binned for 10, the muppet.

What a thick. . . no place in the game for that sort of shíte.:mad:

Here's footage:

Another clip and different angle on hit:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

Its his first bloody game! Give him a chance, eh? :rolleyes:
    Shoulder charges aren't illegal in rugby league. This guy has the potential to be a NZ great. Has it all and is still only 23 yrs old. NZ aren't exactly flush with class centres at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Worrytahs wrote: »
    Its his first bloody game! Give him a chance, eh? :rolleyes:
    Shoulder charges aren't illegal in rugby league. This guy has the potential to be a NZ great. Has it all and is still only 23 yrs old. NZ aren't exactly flush with class centres at the moment.

Do you think he's in a with a shout at an AB jersey?, wouldn't he have to return back to NZ and sign a capped wage contract there?

I've not really been following the story, maybe I've missed something

• Advertisement
Advertisement