Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value of a couple of old racers.

Options
  • 27-07-2008 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

<p>Hey, I was looking at a couple of racers that are being stored by some friends and I really like the look of them as a sort of restoration project, but I'd want to pay a fair price for them if I were to take any. There are 3 bikes that look interesting:</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>1: A peugeot Triathlon with a 501 Chrome Alloy Frame. The frame is in good nick with a a few blemishes on the paint job on the rame, the wheels are in bad condition, and the breaks and gears are still working but they need a good bit of work</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>2: A raleigh flyer racer with what seems to be a steel frame (it says carbon on the label though, but its rusting on the cross bar!) The drivetrain and breaks look to be working well and just need some adjustment, but the frame and forks need a lot of work done with rust and paint. </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>3: A Raleigh Riva Womens racer, very similar condition to the flyer.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Normally I would google and do a bit more research but I dont have very good internet here, its so slow that I have to post this using the mobile skin! Anyone have any experience with bikes like these or ideas on how much they might generally be worth? It's important I pay a fair price because the person I might be buying it off wouldn't really know the market.</p>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Truckle- they are worth very little, they sounds like entry-level machines from a fair few years ago. 501 is bottom-of-the-line steel. And if they aren't generally working too good either, €50 maybe?

Having said that they might well be interesting projects for restoration. To be honest you would not be cheating one of your friends if they gave you the bike for free, saves them disposing of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Yeah, they don't sound exactly like junk but they don't sound exactly very far off. The Carbon thing is probably Carbolite which is plumping pipe, basically. Could be fine commuters though, with a bit of love.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

Carbon steel is basic run of the mill tubing, hence the rust, the frame is most likely to be assembled using brazed socket joints, 501 steel is Cro-moly (iron alloy with 1% chromium, 0.25% molybdenium, carbon , silicone etc), much stronger than the plain steel and easier to weld, it is likely to be welded frame. Both are heavier than modern bikes, should be more comfortable to ride than the aluminium frames of that or later era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

What size are they id be interested in either the peugeot or the raleigh flyer whichever you dont want

Advertisement