Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trans Siberian Solo?

• 27-07-2008 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm looking for general opinions here. Would it be wise for a woman to do this trip solo or should I be looking to take the more staid ( as far as I'm concerned ) option and go with a group. I want to take the train to a friend in Bejing by myself through Mongolia, hopefully stopping ( if I'm brave enough), along the way:p. A friend has expressed an interest in accompanying me but whether that falls through or not I really want to go to Beijing this way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I think you'll be fine. Know a few people who have done it without encountering any hassle at all. Doing it myself in October, can't bloody wait, getting all visas etc is bit of pain but should be well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rfahey

that's when I was thinking of going myself, Beijing shouldn't be too hot or cold! Can't decide whether to go direct or get off the train. The visa's seem to be a minefield allright, was pricing getting an agency to save me the hassle, doesn't seem to work out that much dearer that doing all the paperwork yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Am looking at doing it myself in late Feb/early March - will be doing it on my own - going to do the Trans Mongolian.

Looking at going through these depending on price etc,if not will go on my own:

http://www.vodkatrain.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rfahey

I looked at that site, seemed and bit restrictive for me, I'm on a budget too! If I can't do October, will be going Feb/March too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

rfahey wrote: »
    Can't decide whether to go direct or get off the train. The visa's seem to be a minefield allright, was pricing getting an agency to save me the hassle, doesn't seem to work out that much dearer that doing all the paperwork yourself.

I'd say it'd be a shame to pass through that whole area without stopping at least once; jumping off at Irkutsk for Lake Baikal and Ulan Bator for Gobi desert ourselves.

If you do decide to get agency to sort visas realrussia.co.uk seem really good, I used them to get invitation for Russia and their customer service and turn around times were really excellent. Thinking of using them to get Belarussian and mongolian visas as have to send them serperatly to London otherwise. Chinese is proving biggest pain for us as we are getting train out of the country (told them exiting through vietnam but hopefully Tibet/nepal), they wont give us visa until we get mongolian and vietnamese which prove we plan to enter/leave through these countries, gotta love that red tape....

• Advertisement
Advertisement