Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signal boost+re-broadcast

Options
  • 27-07-2008 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all, I'm lucky enough to live near a free internet hotspot with open public access - but the signal is quite patchy at times. How would I boost the signal to my laptop/house and how could I re-broadcast it around the house to make a wireless network in the house? What would I need to buy? Thanks, from a hapless tech-less hopeful

PS Mean to say laptop has an inbuilt wireless card no external aerial or thingy to connect to (I read the other posts - as much as I could understand)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

My best guess is can't be done. Apart from anything on the technical side bear in mind that you would nearly always be sharing the signal with other users thus weakening the quality available to you.

Also to me this would go against the free hot spot 'philosophy' (unless you are talking about the Eircom phonebox type thing) They are not meant to provide free internet service to those living nearby they are meant as an add on for customers of the establishment providing the service. And there is always the possibility of a password system being introduced to exclude people like yourself who otherwise would be worsening the service for customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A range extender may be what you're after. This is a Hawking unit I've used for just this purpose recently.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pogrom2008

Thanks Zen for your useful and helpful suggestion. Dub sorry but your post was of no use to me but thank you for taking the time to offer an opinion. I know little about this area so I'm grateful to find an expert in Zen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Some Linksys Routers can do that I believe. WRTG54 I think its called.

Advertisement