Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new telescope just saw jupiter and its 3 moons!

Options
  • 28-07-2008 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

just got a new Celestron nexstar 102 SLt, nice telescope, set it up pointing out south, ( inside room window closed) saw planet with what looked like moons round it, one on one side and two on the other... i assume its jupiter?
    i was viewing with a 2x barlow and 25 mm optic.

any idea what size optic would be best? i tried also a 4mm one along with the barlow, but couldnt see anything..

it moved accross the scope viewer quite quickly... was very clear and crisp picture.

also tracked the iss. between 2240-2255 approx,( duration of viewing 1min approx) star like, got the scope on it and tracked it, looked like a barrel shaped object through scope with 25mm optic on..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Gosh! I always wanted to have my own telescope... Is that possible to take some picture of what you see somehow? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Leave out the Barlow and just use the 25mm. You'll still see the moons (it was Jupiter btw). You have to remember the higher the magnification the quicker you'll lose sight of what you're looking at. With your 660mm scope you have a magnification of 26 without the Barlow and 52 with it. With the 4mm you won't even see the moons without the Barlow - the mag is too high.

You're gaining very little with the Barlow as you lose sight too quickly. For planetary viewing you're better off with a lower mag and use the hand controls to follow your target. I assume the 25 and the 4 and the Barlow are what came with scope. The Barlow you got is probably low quality tbh. You'd be better off getting a 16mm or a 12mm eyepiece to fill the gap between the two eyepieces.

@WooPeeA: keep an eye out in Lidl - it's coming towards their scope season. About October they usually do a good Meade computerised refractor telescope and Skylux manual refractor scope quite cheaply. I have one of the Meade ones myself bought there. Don't bother watching Aldi though - the ones they do are generally crap.

Advertisement