Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you SATISFIED with your Mac??? Yes or No... and WHY??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

You could say i'm satisfied alright!! :p

PowerMac G5 dual 2.5Ghz
    Cinema Display 20"
    Powerbook G4 12" 1.33Ghz
    iPods .... Gen 1,2 & 4
    iPod nano .... Gen 1
    iPod Shuffle .... Gen 1 & 2
    iPhone 8Gb
    Bluetooth Keyboard (aluminium)

also in the house are:

iBook G4 1.33Ghz
    MacBook (black) C2D 2.2Ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

from my frist use of a mac as a child, starting with the IIe, i've been pretty happy over the years, sure several issues now and again but most were fixed with (generally) no stress

latest macbook though, from plastic fracturing and cracking off the case (and i take good care of my belongings) to melting power adaptors and mooing noises etc... not overly impressed, especially with the (lack of) back-up support on the phone

apple is getting bigger and i'm not sure it is keeping quality in step with its growth...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

The one button mouse problem is also a red herring since if that is an issue just buy a two button one.
    No one here actually thinks my post was serious do they? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Have a Macbook since Christmas and am still amazed every day as to how they arn't the leading computers. Everything about them is just so perfect. My only two problems with Macs are:

Gaming (but only because developers develop for PCs as they are more popular)
    and Finders lack of organising icons in folders (:mad:)

besides that it's just a perfect computer :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Got a Macbook in Sept and it's been great, developed the crack in the usual spot and it seems a little slow to shut down compared to previously but other than that it's great. It's just so easy to use.

Got 24" iMac in June and love it. I think Windows things are slowly slipping out of my brain. I rarely use my desktop now but when I do I automatically go to use Mac shortcuts which of course don't work. Go away Windows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Finders lack of organising icons in folders (:mad:)

Check out iconography

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Trev M wrote: »
    Check out iconography

Tried googling that but no hits for an application, do you have a link ?

ZEN

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bought a MacBook last year in Las Vegas along with a Mighty Mouse, I've hardly ever used the Mighty mouse but well impressed with the MacBook and when it comes to replacing my desktop (running WinXP) I'll be getting a iMac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have a macbook nearly 18 months now.
    Asked loads of noob questions here, everyone was helpful particurly Sad Professor.
    Got a good price too as I claimed the 21% VAT back, I’m using this macbook for “home accounts”. It’s all legal (kind of), don’t flame me. :pac:

The battery and the battery cable failed after 11 months but 3G sorted me out and Apple couriered the replacements to me the very next day. Good customer service!

Still learning stuff, I was using it 6 months before I figured out to right click and how to scroll with the trackpad. :o
    That 80gb is very full of music and stuff now and it’s a struggle to fit everything in. And the 1gb of Ram realy struggled as it took aaaaaages to convert a few quicktime videos to a format to upload onto my ipod.

I reckon I’ll get a macbook pro soon, I’ve very behind on the latest news but I read somewhere here about a September update?? Maybe that was just for ipods though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Somewhat pointless poll tbh.

Am I satisfied with my mac(s)? Yeah mostly.

Am I satisfied with MobileMe? No, seriously FOOBARed.

Am I satisfied with my MacBook and the way it hangs during autosync with MobileMe? No. That is an abomination.

Am I satisfied with the way Apple consistently charge Irish users a significant percentage over pretty much everyone else Uhhh, nope.

Am I satisfied with the OS? Yes it's glorious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dog Fan

my own machine is a 4 year old G4 ibook. Still works a treat
    My wife has a macbook, and loves it. I converted her to the cause last year.
    Ipod nano 8gig on the way, and looking forward to it.
    Just love the macs, they do what i want, when I want.
    Must agree with micmclo, it does take ages to convert video on the macbook, though.
    Must arrange a macbook pro for my birthday!

micmclo wrote: »
    That 80gb is very full of music and stuff now and it’s a struggle to fit everything in. And the 1gb of Ram realy struggled as it took aaaaaages to convert a few quicktime videos to a format to upload onto my ipod.

I reckon I’ll get a macbook pro soon, I’ve very behind on the latest news but I read somewhere here about a September update?? Maybe that was just for ipods though?

The hard disk on the MacBook is a cinch to replace compared to the MacBook Pro. This can be done via the battery compartment with little effort. On the other hand the Pro required a complete strip-down almost to replace the drive - not for the ham-fisted or faint hearted !

My advice would be to spend the money on an extra 2GB RAM which will help your video conversion no end and a nice 250GB 5400RPM hard disk to fit it all into. With a nearly full drive the video conversion would struggle with so little RAM under Leopard (I'm assuming Leopard ?) using a swapfile. Leopards min spec is 1GB RAM it's happier the more you give it. On a 2.2GHz C2D - 4GB RAM it takes 40 minutes to rip and convert a movie dvd (Oh Brother Where Art Thou) to MP4 for an iPod in Handbrake.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Dog Fan wrote: »
    Must agree with micmclo, it does take ages to convert video on the macbook, though.

Is that because it doesn't have a dedicated GPU? It borrows from the CPU to do graphical operations ...

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Is that because it doesn't have a dedicated GPU? It borrows from the CPU to do graphical operations ...

I don't think so, converting video formats is purely a number crunching exercise done by the CPU and stored in RAM until it's transferred to the hard disk. That's why more RAM and a faster drive will make such a big difference when converting large files.

The GPU would be useful for applying live effects to video or an image. Adobe are supposed to be implementing this feature in future versions of Photoshop.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'm on my fourth mac now.

Mac 1:
    G5 Powermac
    Solid.
    8/10

Mac 2:
    Macbook
    Noisy, flimsy, and shoddy.
    4/10

Mac 3:
    Mac Mini
    Great machine. Powerful and silent.
    8/10

Mac 4:
    iMac 20"
    Sexy and sound.
    9/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i got my got my first mac in 1995 (7100-80AV) which still works, then i got a 4400 (horrible piece of ****) and after that it was a second gen imac (bright orange), an imac DV (which I still have and still run), a lampshade imac, mac mini, macbook pro and now a brand spanking new 24in imac.

have to say im very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The macs weren't up to much till OSX arrived. I've used OS 9,8 in work and they are worse than their Windows' equivalents.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

Here picture of my iMac.... location : dining room... very nice

n814987718_598116_2883.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,884 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cabaal wrote: »
    Bought a MacBook last year in Las Vegas along with a Mighty Mouse, I've hardly ever used the Mighty mouse but well impressed with the MacBook and when it comes to replacing my desktop (running WinXP) I'll be getting a iMac

LOL, the Windows mod has been assimilated :D

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

WOOT! Welcome to the dark side!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

womoma wrote: »
    WOOT! Welcome to the dark side!

Goodbye to the Dark Side, surely?

erie wrote: »
    Here picture of my iMac.... location : dining room... very nice

n814987718_598116_2883.jpg

Yes, but nicer if you get a BT keyboard and a BT mouse :-)

I've seen both Windows and Mac described as the darkside, both proudly and scornfully. It will never be agreed on, but personally, I like to proudly call OSX the dark side (especially considering Steve Jobs is the antichrist).

culabula wrote: »

Not too keen on the wireless keyboard for a desktop/work machine. The absence of the numeric keypad is annoying on the small keyboard. The wireless mouse now, that's a different thing, I love my wireless Mightmouse.

ZEN

I've got a wireless keyboard and I love it. Battery life is amazing. Literally months between battery changes. Planning on getting a bluetooth (not mighty) mouse but only to save on usb ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

I'm working on it... but still not sure either go for apple BT Keyboard + BT Mighty Mouse or other options... or waiting for Apple wireless (radio not BT) launch (don't know when).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I normally buy at the top of the range, and nowadays always a laptop, but having just been downsized I got sensible and got a MacBook rather than a MacBook Pro.

It's a nice little machine, which I've upgraded with a 250GB hard drive and 4GB of RAM, but I wish I'd got the Pro.

The sound settings are flaky, and reset themselves all the time, so you have to do things like plugging earphones in and out and resetting to SoundFlower or Speakers.

The DVD drive is too close to the surface; if you put the laptop on your lap while a DVD is playing it will sometimes make the DVD jump.

And the DVD drive is not patchable to make it region-free; Apple isn't my nanny, and if I choose to watch the DVDs sent to me by my son and nephews from Hong Kong or Japan or Australia, or by my friends in America, I don't see that it's Apple's business to stop me. After all, if I had a TV, virtually all modern DVD players for TVs are region-free.

There are other fiddly little annoyances too - but mainly a general sense that this isn't a top-grade computer, no matter how I upgrade it.

luckat wrote: »
    I normally buy at the top of the range, and nowadays always a laptop, but having just been downsized I got sensible and got a MacBook rather than a MacBook Pro.

It's a nice little machine, which I've upgraded with a 250GB hard drive and 4GB of RAM, but I wish I'd got the Pro.

The sound settings are flaky, and reset themselves all the time, so you have to do things like plugging earphones in and out and resetting to SoundFlower or Speakers.

The DVD drive is too close to the surface; if you put the laptop on your lap while a DVD is playing it will sometimes make the DVD jump.

And the DVD drive is not patchable to make it region-free; Apple isn't my nanny, and if I choose to watch the DVDs sent to me by my son and nephews from Hong Kong or Japan or Australia, or by my friends in America, I don't see that it's Apple's business to stop me. After all, if I had a TV, virtually all modern DVD players for TVs are region-free.

There are other fiddly little annoyances too - but mainly a general sense that this isn't a top-grade computer, no matter how I upgrade it.

I can't say that a DVD has ever jumped on me -and I use it all the time, on my lap, in bed, on buses and trains. Have found it much more reliable than a stand-alone player.

As for the region -locked drive -this is just a fact of life and I doubt if it's down to Apple as any other PC I've ever owned has always been the same. The Mac Pro's drive is 'just as' locked. Nor are modern DVD players 'unlocked' it's just that certain shops like Peats or Richer Sounds or online sources will sell tweaked unlocked versions of a given model -usually with a few bob extra charged over the standard version.

Is it not the case that if you watch a DVD from another region using VLC instead of DVD player, that you can bypass the lock (the blame for which you can firmly lay at Hollywood's door)?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Apparently the drive used by Apple is one of the more resistant ones to unlocking - bad move apple :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Is it not the case that if you watch a DVD from another region using VLC instead of DVD player, that you can bypass the lock (the blame for which you can firmly lay at Hollywood's door)?
    Not anymore, the drive itself is locked, not the DVD player software.

Advertisement