Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you retrieve a phone number for a phone you lost? (Meteor 085)

• 28-07-2008 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

I lost my phone the other day in a taxi and I've got no comeback because he was a free lancing taxi driver from the airport so no one knew him or what company he was working for. Anyway my phone is gone with my SIM in it I'm buying a new one tomorrow but I just want to know can I contact Meteor and get them to change the new SIM card back to my old number?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Just go into a shop and ask for a replacement sim
    They will program it with your old number

<EDIT>Hmmm. Seems with Meteor, you cannot do it in a shop
    http://meteor.ie/support/your_phone/lost_sim/ </EDIT>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meteor stores can do it. CPW and XtraVision can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

CPW can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

anyone can do it if they have the sim's, just need to ring care.

Op, if you haven't done so already ring meteor and suspend your account until you can get a replacement sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

yes cpw can do it

• Advertisement

CPW can do it.

No, they can't. They can give you a blank sim and ring care and put you on the phone, but they can't process a sim replacement there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

chrislad wrote: »
    No, they can't. They can give you a blank sim and ring care and put you on the phone, but they can't process a sim replacement there and then.

yes they can....they've done it for me :D

they can't do it on a pc, they have to call customer care but the method they use isn't really the point, they can still do it. they only put the customer on to verify their details, they do the rest

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    they can't do it on a pc, they have to call customer care but the method they use isn't really the point, they can still do it. they only put the customer on to verify their details, they do the rest

My original point was to counter that Meteor couldn't do it in store, where it's the opposite: Meteor are the only ones to be able to do it direct. Sure, CPW can do it via CCare, but you have to queue to speak to a rep, and then queue to speak to a CCard rep.

It's a moot point, regardless.

then queue to speak to a CCard rep.

what's a ccard rep? i've never queued for one of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Geoff all you need to do is get your hands on a blank meteor sim card (no number attached to it), if your pay as you go get a pay as you go sim card and visa versa if your bill pay....

You should be able pick up a blank sim in any meteor agent, wheater it's carphone, 3G stores or your local phone delaer...

You can call customer care yourself once you get it and they should have you back on the air waves within 10 minutes....

This works the same way with all networks....

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    what's a ccard rep? i've never queued for one of those

It's a typo. Don't make me go through your post history to see where you've met one :)

It's a typo. Don't make me go through your post history to see where you've met one :)

ah it was ccare rep. i thought it was something to do with sim cards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,421 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What if I have an 087 number on the Meteor network? (Because I switched from Vodafone a while back)

Will it still be no problem getting my number back)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

noodler wrote: »
    What if I have an 087 number on the Meteor network? (Because I switched from Vodafone a while back)

It's no problem just go into your nearest phone store and ask for a blank meteor sim, then call meteor and they'll re-activate your number on the new blank sim.

It's no problem just go into your nearest phone store and ask for a blank meteor sim, then call meteor and they'll re-activate your number on the new blank sim.

Thanks, there is an old vodafone lieing around which seems to work but there is no sim in it.

Will Meteor charge me to unlock it or can they even?

Was looking into doing it myself but with no sim in it I am not sure what exactly I can do menuwise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

yep, no problem at all, lost my phone a few years back and im meteor with an 087 number.
    Thanks, there is an old vodafone lieing around which seems to work but there is no sim in it.

Will Meteor charge me to unlock it or can they even?

Was looking into doing it myself but with no sim in it I am not sure what exactly I can do menuwise.

no, you must get a new blank Meteor Sim Card, you cant just pick up any old sim card from around the house. You have to pop into a shop or ring customer care and they will post you out one iirc, but will take longer to have your original number back up and running.

gumbo wrote: »
    yep, no problem at all, lost my phone a few years back and im meteor with an 087 number.

no, you must get a new blank Meteor Sim Card, you cant just pick up any old sim card from around the house. You have to pop into a shop or ring customer care and they will post you out one iirc, but will take longer to have your original number back up and running.

Sorry, I was unclear.

I have an old Vodaphone phone lieing around, can Meteor unlock this for me and put in a new (meteor sim)?

Basically trying to avoid purchasing a new phone unless I have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No, only vodafone will unlock a vodafone handset.

Stephen wrote: »
    No, only vodafone will unlock a vodafone handset.

Cheers, they just did it over the phone for me.

However, they did need an actual 087 sim to be in it to complete the process so I used asked the mother to use hers. Just asked the usual personal information plus the IMEI and then told us the unlock code over the phone.

I can now just walk into the meteor store tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement