Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned in Waterford City forum - slightly harsh?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Seems to have been a bit of a fracas in this thread which has ultimately resulted in me being banned, for two weeks. In isolation, it may look as if I was acting completely immature, but let me explain myself.

It seems as if I've been banned for posting up a picture of batman, which was off-topic. In most cases, yes, it would have been off topic but lets think about this for a second. Does it not strike you as odd/ironic that on the day of the Batman film being released, a thread appears asking for help about bats? It certainly struck me as being odd and from my experience in the poker forum, I immediately assumed it was a level as pretty much every second thread there is a level of some kind.

I also seemed to get myself into hot water for this, which was a response to this. That post pretty much set me off. He had the audacity to accuse people of being small minded without developing his point. If we followed his logic, then we shouldn't continue killing rats because they too could become endangered. It was a poorly thought out post that I was going to report, but then surprisingly got the support of a moderator which kind of put an end to those plans!

After I was banned I was then called a muppet and of course since I was banned I couldn't come back to explain myself. I don't really care about that but I've seen people banned for far less in that forum. At best, he will be asked to retract the post and all will continue as normal while I'm left unable to post for two weeks for what in my mind was a minor offense.

Finally, it was mentioned that rats and bats are fairly different. I agree, but they do share one thing in common - they both scare the **** out of me.

PS: I'm still convinced the thread is a level. If not, then it's the most unfortunately timed post. Perhaps my ban was warranted, but for two weeks? Seems a bit over the top to me.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You push a man a too far and he's going to crack. A final warning was giving on the thread not to go OT and you went OT... what do you expect him to do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Despite three on-thread warnings from mods and another user getting banned for being off topic you chose to continue?

What did you think was going to happen?

/tries to restrain cats

I know there have been whinges about Sully before but this one is well justified.

p.s. Whats does "a level" mean in the above context?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Sorry to have to ask but what do you mean by a "level" ? :confused:

Anyway posting the picture of Batman was off-topic and rather pointless. And you advocate illegally killing an endangered species, so based on those two posts you probably deserved a ban.

A one week ban probably would have sufficed, but then again you did post off topic after another poster had been banned for doing the same, so you should have known better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Whats does "a level" mean in the above context?
    Verb or noun. A joke or comment not meant to be taken seriously, but presented in a serious manner.

Basically I perceived the thread as being a level given the fact that the Batman film had been released that day. I wouldn't be surpirsed if OP came along and posted up a picture of his attic full of DC comics!

Given that I thought the thread was a level, by refering to Batman, I was raising the question of whether or not it was indeed a jab at us hense being very much relevant to the discussion and not as off topic as it's being made out to be.
    Despite three on-thread warnings from mods and another user getting banned for being off topic you chose to continue?

I also think it's worth pointing out that I had clicked reply before the other poster had made his post, it just took me ages to find a picture of batman hiding in an attic and had to settle for that picture. I also wasn't aware that Fajitas had been made mod, so I didn't interpret his post as being a formal warning.

And you advocate illegally killing an endangered species, so based on those two posts you probably deserved a ban.

In all honesty, if I was even considering killing bats, I wouldn't go to the effort of hanging rat traps from the ceiling...
    Anyway posting the picture of Batman was off-topic and rather pointless.

Was it really that off topic? In a bat related topic, I post a picture of bats and of batman! Had I gone and posted a lolcat then that certainly would have been off topic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I got banned aswell for **** all.:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Basically I perceived the thread as being a level "joke" given the fact that the Batman film had been released that day. I wouldn't be surpirsed if OP came along and posted up a picture of his attic full of DC comics!
    It's not how you perceive it thats important - it's how the mods perceive it and given the warnings issued, it was being taken seriously.

Harsh lesson - just chalk it down as experience :)

No offence but no point in complaining here - start your own thread about it :)

Actually, your complaint is warranted, look at the timestamp on the two posts. Sully posted his warning at 13:04 and martinr5232 posted his remark at 13:04, it is very likely that he didn't even see this warning.

Meanwhile, I'm already on the "reply" screen, looking for pictures of Batman (and bats) before Sully posts that martinr5232 is banned!

Ugh, I hate it when things go down like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

I would say it was deffo too harsh. Two week ban for a batman pic?!

Ok it was bit off topic, but at least have a sense of humour!

Sure look at this post just posted now on the thread:
    422nd wrote:
    A tennis racket beats ISPCA hands down!

This is a lot more offensive than murderer's post.
    Being fair about bans, then this person should be banned for at least 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

In isolation, it may look as if I was acting completely immature, but let me explain myself.
    No, you didn't just look like you're being completely immature, you were being completely immature.
    After I was banned I was then called a muppet and of course since I was banned I couldn't come back to explain myself. I don't really care about that but I've seen people banned for far less in that forum. At best, he will be asked to retract the post and all will continue as normal while I'm left unable to post for two weeks for what in my mind was a minor offense.
    If you've seen people being banned for "much less" and saw three warnings in the thread, then why ever did you cross the line? There are far better ways to explain yourself, which you could just have easily done before going off topic - If you were that convinced it was a 'jab at us' then you should have reported the post and let myself or Sully find out what the problem was.
    Finally, it was mentioned that rats and bats are fairly different. I agree, but they do share one thing in common - they both scare the **** out of me

PS: I'm still convinced the thread is a level. If not, then it's the most unfortunately timed post. Perhaps my ban was warranted, but for two weeks? Seems a bit over the top to me.

There's a phobia forum, deal with your fears there, not by advocating violence or going off topic in a Waterford forum. You saw the warnings, you clearly read them, it didn't stop you at all.
    Verb or noun. A joke or comment not meant to be taken seriously, but presented in a serious manner.

Basically I perceived the thread as being a level given the fact that the Batman film had been released that day. I wouldn't be surpirsed if OP came along and posted up a picture of his attic full of DC comics!

Given that I thought the thread was a level, by refering to Batman, I was raising the question of whether or not it was indeed a jab at us hense being very much relevant to the discussion and not as off topic as it's being made out to be.

I also think it's worth pointing out that I had clicked reply before the other poster had made his post, it just took me ages to find a picture of batman hiding in an attic and had to settle for that picture. I also wasn't aware that Fajitas had been made mod, so I didn't interpret his post as being a formal warning.

But the OP didn't come along and post a thread full of batman pictures. Nor comics. He came looking for advice. Reading the OP, it sounds nothing like a joke. Nor a jab at us because it's Batman.

I don't you think saying you didn't know I was a mod bears much weight - I've been a moderator there for several months now, you've posted in there several times AFAIK, and it's written at the bottom of my profile and at the bottom of the forum. I can't force you to read it, but generally when a poster tells you to 'cop on' - you may want to check in their profile to see if it's a moderator.

Was it really that off topic? In a bat related topic, I post a picture of bats and of batman!

Yes, it was.
    A post from a moderator of the forum, saying 'Last warning'... And you tell the OP to call Ozzy Osbourne. There's a difference between the AH forum and the regional forums - Humour has it's time and place (As Sungod tries to show :p ) but not after there's been warnings in the thread.
    johnnyq wrote: »
    Sure look at this post just posted now on the thread:

This is a lot more offensive than murderer's post.
    Being fair about bans, then this person should be banned for at least 2 months.

He's been banned. I'm not staying up all night to see if someone else decides to post in a thread. I've a life to attend. If you see an offensive post however, report it. Hopefully one on the smods/cmods will be around and get there if myself or Sully don't get there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

johnnyq wrote: »
    I would say it was deffo too harsh. Two week ban for a batman pic?!

If you look at that thread - it wasn't a two week ban for a Batman pic. The posters were going off topic with smart-arsé remarks. They were given warnings, but carried on regardless.

Ban warranted imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

|.Murderer.|

Despite all the warnings, you still went ahead and continued off topic by posting those pics.
    The ban was deserved, no question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That's it then,ban deserved.

Next case please.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully gave a clear warning and asked people to stay on topic and somebody was dumb enough to do something off-topic again, that person was banned and still you posted the images in question to which you were banned.

Not harsh in anyway tbh, put it down to a life experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Bring out the cats people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Bring out the bats people :D

Fixed ;)

Anyway its crap to get banned but its only 2 weeks from 1 forum. In this weather it will fly by.

I don't you think saying you didn't know I was a mod bears much weight - I've been a moderator there for several months now, you've posted in there several times AFAIK, and it's written at the bottom of my profile and at the bottom of the forum. I can't force you to read it, but generally when a poster tells you to 'cop on' - you may want to check in their profile to see if it's a moderator.

Yes, this is totally my fault. I just haven't seen you do anything mod-like since you were drafted in so never noticed. Sully will always remain the face of the Waterford forum.

Okay, it looks like this is an open and shut case, I deserved to be banned but my issue is the period of time. I'm usually a good poster, and the Waterford forum is one of my most frequented forum. This is the first time I've stepped out of line and been banned from a forum so I would have thought the period wouldn't have to have been too long. So I'd hope you'd take that into account.

Also, whatever about me, martinr5232 got a really rough deal. Sully posted his warning at 13:04 and he posted his remark about Ozzy Osbourne at the same time. He probably didn't even see the said warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Also, whatever about me, martinr5232 got a really rough deal. Sully posted his warning at 13:04 and he posted his remark about Ozzy Osbourne at the same time. He probably didn't even see the said warning!
    That's why the edit/delete button exists for after you have clicked "Post Reply" and reviewed your post.

In fairness, there were warnings before that - anyone posting at that point should at least be cautious about what they post.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    That's why the edit/delete button exists for after you have clicked "Post Reply" and reviewed your post.
    Fair enough.

I'd like for Sully to come on and just second everyone else's opinion. He needn't pick apart half of my post like Fajitas, a simple "ban stands, you douche" or "Ban reduced, you loon" will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Bit of advice. Quit while you're ahead.

You aint doing yourself any favours in carrying on with this pointless rambling as you were quite rightly banned.

Is it the sea air or what as this thread smacks of Sligotitis. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Finally someone loves you Sully. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Fair enough.

I'd like for Sully to come on and just second everyone else's opinion. He needn't pick apart half of my post like Fajitas, a simple "ban stands, you douche" or "Ban reduced, you loon" will do.
    Why should he? You clearly chose to go above/around him by posting a feedback thread, rather than conduct this via PM with him, showing no respect for his decision.

As a result, there's no reason for him to respond here.

In fact, I had a 10 minute long MSN discussion with him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

As the Cat Mod your ban seems fine and well deserved.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

surely by him not responding to this thread you can take it that the same ban time stands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Yes, this is totally my fault. I just haven't seen you do anything mod-like since you were drafted in so never noticed. Sully will always remain the face of the Waterford forum.
    Lesson learned then. Check your moderators.
    Okay, it looks like this is an open and shut case, I deserved to be banned but my issue is the period of time. I'm usually a good poster, and the Waterford forum is one of my most frequented forum. This is the first time I've stepped out of line and been banned from a forum so I would have thought the period wouldn't have to have been too long. So I'd hope you'd take that into account.
    Two weeks is a short time, a month or 6 months is a long time. Considering there were on thread warnings, I'd say you did just fine out of it.
    Fair enough.

Why? You're in agreement that you were wrong. You got your confirmation in PM, he has no need to reduce the ban. I also don't see your problem with me debating your arguments. You posted in feedback looking to get a moderators decision overturned after all. There'd be something wrong if we overturned every moderators decision without debating it first. Case closed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sorry didnt spot this thread until your IM Murderer. I thought this was dealt with yesterday when you sent me the IM on MSN.

Its simple though.. Fajitas! told people to cop on well before I did, but people continued to drag it off topic with stupid jokes and suggest illegal ways to deal with it. Im sure the OP wanted a serious answer to his question and not be heckled for it.

Another warning was issued, this time by me. You were getting ratty towards another poster and another warning was then issued. Your reply was above and beyond off topic and was completely retarted, immature and stupid. I then issued a ban, because you ignored ALL warnings. The standard ban was a week but you got yourself a two week ban for your general attitude in that thread.

No excuses. Your around here long enough to know the score, but you pushed it and pushed it and ended up with a longer then usual ban. I didnt want to do it, but you left me with no choice.

As regards to martinr5232, to be fair, a warning was issue before he posted that comment within a decent time frame. Remember; 3 warnings were issued in that thread.

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the time to post. I'll stop throwing toys out of the pram :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement