Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bosnich back with a bang

• 28-07-2008 2:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=604497
    Bosnich back as Mariners beat Sydney FC

By Peter Smith 20:48 AEST Sun Jul 27 2008

Mark Bosnich made a sensational return to top-flight football after a seven-year absence, saving a penalty and making several spectacular saves as he helped the Central Coast Mariners to a 3-0 win over Sydney FC in the A-League Pre-Season Cup.

The 36-year-old former Manchester United, Chelsea and Socceroos goalkeeper was cheered at every turn by the 7,107 spectators that attended a damp Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford.

Bosnich enjoyed a relatively quiet opening in his first appearance on Australian soil since 1999 and his first Australian club match for nearly 20 years.

However he had the chance to demonstrate that he had lost none of his trademark agility when he tipped a rasping Terry McFlynn drive over the crossbar on the 28-minute mark.

The second half saw Bosnich produce a similarly spectacular save from a curling Mitchell Prentice effort before he completed a flawless debut for the Mariners with a 59th-minute penalty save from a Steve Corica penalty.

Brad Porter had earlier grabbed the opening goal for the Mariners just prior to the interval with Sasho Petrovski and a penalty from Nik Mrdja completing the scoring.

Bosnich was substituted to rapturous applause with nine minutes remaining allowing regular Mariners goalkeeper Danny Vukovic to take the field.

Bosnich is looking to claim a contract with the Mariners with regular goalkeeper Vukovic suspended for five rounds of the A-League season from round three.

"It was a really good start, and the most important thing is that the team won," said Bosnich.

"I was very nervous.... But I think that is a good sign as well.

"It was a very important step for me today but one swallow doesn't make a summer."

Mariners coach Lawrie McKinna acknowledged Bosnich had a great game but didn't say the performance would guarantee a contract saying he needed to look how his custodian would fare in the week ahead at training.

"We created a lot more chances this week than we did last week... Bozza was the difference between the two sides," said Sydney FC coach John Kosmina.

"I didn't think the Central Coast were three goals better than us, nowhere near it."

In the other Group B match played today Queensland Roar picked up their first point with a 1-1 draw against Wellington Phoenix on the Sunshine Coast.

The Phoenix sit at the top of the group on four points, one point ahead of the Mariners and Sydney FC, with the Roar on just one point but still with an outside chance to top the group and reach the Pre-Season Cup Final on Wednesday 6 August.

In Saturday's Group A matches, Adelaide United retained the lead at the top with a scoreless draw against Newcastle Jets in Cessnock, while Melbourne Victory recorded their first win of the campaign with a narrow 1-0 win over Perth Glory thanks to a lone strike from defender Michael Thwaite.

The win lifts the Victory into second on three points one off the pace, while the Jets are on two points with the Glory on one. Adelaide can shore up a berth in the final when they host Perth Glory next week in Mt Gambier on Saturday, while Newcastle meet Melbourne Victory in Port Macquarie on the same day.

The Phoenix can secure an unlikely appearance in the final if they defeat Sydney FC in Wollongong on Saturday, while the final match will see the Roar face Central Coast Mariners in Brisbane on Sunday.

So after all the drugs, reality tv appearances and burgers, Bosnich is back playing professional football. If he actually earns a contract with the Mariners it will be some turnaround.

Always loved watching him when I was a kid, easily in the top 3 keepers in the Prem in his day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I think it would be good profile for the Aus league to see him back here.
    He was a great keeper in his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

was a great keeper in his day alright. were there any images? Has he lost all the weight? Cant believe he's still that young, should have been around his peek at this point for a goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There's one pic of him savin the peno here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    was a great keeper in his day alright. were there any images? Has he lost all the weight? Cant believe he's still that young, should have been around his peek at this point for a goalkeeper.

I seen a video clip on Aus TV and he looked like he's been off the pies

but then I seen this r271944_1144755.jpg
    from this aus website and has a bit of a muffin top going on, but could be a old picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That is an old pic. AFAIK it's from that reality tv show 'The Match' he did for Sky back around 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I think he is a great example of how fragile ones carear in the EPL can be. Had he moved to any other club other than United, I think he would still be playing in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I'm delighted to see him back, and doing well :D He looks great tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

That guy Terry McFlynn that was mentioned in the article playing for Sydney is an Irish guy. Well respected for Sydney FC as well. Met him out one night when they were on the lash after winning something. He was with 'Up all night Dwight' and they were on the champagne. He seemed to be a sound enough bloke as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Its incredible that he lost that much cash.
    And Djemba Djemba too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement