Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who knows best (Rant)

Options
  • 28-07-2008 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Why do people hire architects if they wont trust us to design their houses. Give us a budget and we design a house to that, then they decide its too small on site and make it bigger?
    Negociate changes with the builder without telling us and then wonder why the house has suddenly become so expensive.

I dont know if anybody has seen that RTE design an extension thing with the architect. People obviously like what he does or they wouldnt write to him but then they debate his designs, rubbish his ideas and plans, give out about him and even go behind his back to the builder. Always at the end, they think his design is fantastic and they love what he did!

I have no problem changing drawings at the clients request but it is my responsibility to tell them if something cant be done, like taking a metre off a part M toilet or moving walls that result in the ceiling joists not being sufficent to span. I had a client once where every time I did an inspection I had to survey the house again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I've wondered the same myself.
    I suppose that its such a big investment, people want to get it right.

They retained you because of your reputation and design ability, yet they can't help getting new ideas, second opinions or just changing what they have.

It beaks my heart, after multiple designs / revisions before planning, once permission is granted, some people take it as a green light to start changing... "Can we do this? or move that window?"

Maybe people rush into it- quickly design a home, apply for permission etc. Then they have 8 long weeks to think about it, discuss it, see friends houses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its the nature of the beast - they dont understand the layout or sizes until they see it either dug out (overall size) or when the blockwork starts to go up.

Regarding the TV programme, Ive seen a couple of bits here and there of the show and just remember while it is real life (nothing in it that should surprise us) it has to be shown as compulsive viewing to retain an audience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Have to admit I havent seen alot of it either, I just remember one instance where he was sitting down with the client proposing white tiles, streamlined kitchen etc. when she just turns around and says that she wants some brick fireplaces or a bit of colours etc.
    He just blankly stares at her and said definately not, even gave a smart answer and I remember thinking about the sh1t I'd get into if I took that approach with a client.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I tend to find a lot of people don't understand drawings at all but dont like to tell you (you can figure it out when the strange questions start to be asked!! hopefully at the design stage) I always ask people for pictures etc of what they like and usually get if I'm lucky nothing or maybe an elevation for a totally different house to what we're in the middle of designing with a collection of features best left in mid atlantic from our planners perspective. I once in my employed nixer days was told by a client to basicly copy a neighbours house as it was wonderful / perfect etc etc and despite my best efforts there was no budging them on it so I did, a few years later I met the woman of the house and asked how the house was now they were well settled in and was told if I'm desgining a house like that again "" I should make the Kitchen Bigger"" However at the end of the day if your clients are happy with the result thats ok. I dont believe inflicting my taste in design on people is right like the RTE programme, to be honest I saw it once or twice and didnt like your mans attitude, I wonder do the clients really love the final work or are they only saying it as they are on telly!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

No6 wrote: »
    I tend to find a lot of people don't understand drawings at all but dont like to tell you (you can figure it out when the strange questions start to be asked!! hopefully at the design stage) I always ask people for pictures etc of what they like and usually get if I'm lucky nothing or maybe an elevation for a totally different house to what we're in the middle of designing with a collection of features best left in mid atlantic from our planners perspective. I once in my employed nixer days was told by a client to basicly copy a neighbours house as it was wonderful / perfect etc etc and despite my best efforts there was no budging them on it so I did, a few years later I met the woman of the house and asked how the house was now they were well settled in and was told if I'm desgining a house like that again "" I should make the Kitchen Bigger"" However at the end of the day if your clients are happy with the result thats ok. I dont believe inflicting my taste in design on people is right like the RTE programme, to be honest I saw it once or twice and didnt like your mans attitude, I wonder do the clients really love the final work or are they only saying it as they are on telly!!:D

True but, these people asked for him to design their house, they seen his work and said that looks nice imagine what he could do to our house. I think hes an arogant ar5e myself but he gets results at the end of the day.

Do people really just base their architect on price? surely they look at work already done by that architect or designs and style from that office.
    If I was building my own house I would employ an architect I liked because ultimately I would get something I couldnt design myself.
    if they prepare a proper brief as to what size rooms they want, features they like, what spaces they spend most time in etc. then they will get a final product superior to what they could do themselves, its why there are professionals. Starting with a box and drawing lines to represent rooms and arriving at the architect with a "draw this up will you?" attitude is completely daft for the money they are paying.
    To me that process is at best like
    - going to a restaurant, placing your order and then going into the kitchen and telling the chef how to cook it.
    or at worst
    - buying a Van Gogh painting and correcting some of the "mistakes" yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Know what you all mean but people in general are a bit arsy today .

All professions get this . Lawyers , doctors , teachers .... Everybody knows enough to be dangerous about everything . And there is always the internet to consult with . And challenge your appointed expert with . ( Ironic tone )

We all have seen many pillars of society ( church , police , politics , sporting heros) have the shine taken off them BIG TIME in the last 20 years . So we all are rightly cynical and trust must be HARD earnt .

This is not a problem . Problems will have solutions to resolve them .

This is a fact of life to be coped with . First step - accept the reality .

Or put it another way - what can't be cured must be endured

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Agreed sinnerboy, it has been proven time and time again that there's lots of bad eggs in all professions, lots of good ones too though. Theres a general complete lack of education / understanding about the entire process of designing, planning & building a building (usually houses, commercials are usually more clued in) everyone is an expert including frequently the dog and if so and so says pink dormers are the dog's bollo..ks then they must be had. :eek: Its the design by comittee process and usually as the designer you are the last to know about the rest of the comittee, mother in laws, the guy who mows the lawn, the cat and the dog......:D (god I hate when my Goldfish start spouting on about Corbuiser!!):rolleyes:

Advertisement