Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

application forms

Options
  • 28-07-2008 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

morning all,as some will know im just gettin ready to apply for me first licence, i have been told that i can find a copy of the application some where on boards, can anyone point me in the right direction, thanks:)

Comments

you get it in a garda station.

Its pretty straight forward; your details and the details of the firearm so have the serial number to hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It's very important that you have all your paperwork in order before you go to the Garda Station.

That means the sales docket from the RFD or letter from the person you bought the firearm from with details of make, model and serial number on it. A description of the firearm is also helpful such as bolt action, semi-auto etc. A picture can be useful here.

Letter from your club confirming your membership or at least two letters from landowners giving permission to shoot on their lands with their name, address, amount of land and it's also helpful to have the folio number of the land.

If you do not own your own house, the permission of the owner for you to store your firearm there.

Details of proposed security measures you are taking to prevent the firearm being stolen. e.g. gun safe (location and fixing details - whether concealed or not), alarm, window locks (if in room without windows, say so), door locks, separate location of action etc.

Turning up without this information will (a) delay your appliaction and (b) demonstrate that you may have purchased the firearm on a whim.

The Gardai should fill out the application form for you there and then using all the above information. They don't like giving the forms out, so don't expect them to do it.

Go in first though and have a chat with the FO maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

I recently filled mine in and nothing too hectic about it .. I did have a look here first mind http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2055212550.html

also 1 station had not got any , another couldnt find them , 1 you had to meet the super to get it and finally one kindly cadet in my local station searched for 10 min and located them so hope that goes easier for you :) .

best of luck with the application and hope all goes well .
    there is some good advice on this forum and would recommend looking at that .

best of luck
    Darr

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's a guide to the application process here on the NTSA website, but it's written with ISSF shooters in mind, so little things may not apply, like asking for a 10,000 limit for ammunition (and the licence fee has changed, it's gone down from €38). Also, rrpc's advice above is excellent and should be followed. And remember, 99% or more of all applications go through without a hitch, so don't worry excessively about the war stories you hear around the place (they're regretably real, but they're exceptionally rare).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Er, I hope it hasn't gone down. I was charged the full €38 this year. Is the reduced licence fee not coming in with the three-year licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 carlyboy

thanks guys, apprecieate it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Er, I hope it hasn't gone down. I was charged the full €38 this year. Is the reduced licence fee not coming in with the three-year licence?
    I wasn't given of the impression that the two were linked IWM. It may have been tied to it since I last heard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I thought it was coming in in line with the reduced administration costs of the new system, but my impression may be mistaken, obviously. Did anyone pay the new costs for their renewals?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

I paid the full 38 euro aswell....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

so did i

Advertisement