Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

outboard while tracking drums

Options
  • 28-07-2008 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

would it be reccomended to track kick and snare with a little compression while tracking drums ?

I have experimented with adding about -4 db threshold / 15 ms attack and 300 ms release at 2:1 ratio ,

and it seems to leave a fatter sound on wav .

i have to use the same setting for kick and snare though .

also , would it be reccomended to do maybe do a little eqing on both while tracking ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

DaDumTish wrote: »
    would it be reccomended to track kick and snare with a little compression while tracking drums ?

I have experimented with adding about -4 db threshold / 15 ms attack and 300 ms release at 2:1 ratio ,

also , would it be reccomended to do maybe do a little eqing on both while tracking ?

I think it depends on the situation.

If you're tracking drums with just a bare bones track, say a guide vocal and guitar it might be a good idea not to commit to EQ and compression as your requirements may change when the track's loaded up with overdubs.

However if you're tracking with a full band and everyone's making a sound similar to what may end up in the finished track, then you've a better idea how the drums will sound at the end, so can commit to EQ and Comp decisions at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

DaDumTish wrote: »

I always compress snare and kick slightly before going in, just on the peaks, and if I'm using room mics I'll usually squash them quite a bit. As for EQ, sometimes on the snare I'll EQ before going in, but I always have an EQ plugin strapped across every track so I can mould the sound a little while tracking, and it gives me an idea of what will be possible EQ wise when it comes to mixing.

How come you have to use the same settings for kick and snare? What comp are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

its the FMR RNP/RNC combo TRS'Sd together im using for kick and snare.

and its into the mackie onyx firewire line in's ( cant use inserts on firewire so I have to commit on the way in ) .

I just thought it may help to capture more of the lower volume level tones in each drum - or am i way off the mark ?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

I always figure that if you hear something you're going to do later on anyway, then you may as well do it at the tracking stage so you can move on to the next thing.
    This is particularly true where I'm tracking somewhere with tasty outboard that I won't have access to at the mixing stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johnnylakes

My thoughts..
    though I may be wrong...generally speaking, get it as close to the sound you want before you press record...get the source right...if that involves using compression/eq to get the sound you are looking for then go for it, but as already stated bear in mind what else you are recording/have yet to add/overdub.....maybe move the mics around ratyher than eq.......another option................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

If I decide to comp to tape it will usually be with something like LA-2 or Vari-Mu with just a smidge of comp, Depends on the drummer, if he's good and got his dynamics under control I'll leave it be. If it's someone who's foot doesn't know if its coming or going I will use the comp to smooth him out ever so slightly.

With any compression to tape be sparing as its a pain in the hole to revers afterwards if at all..

Advertisement