Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question

Options
  • 28-07-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Just to head off any woman driver comments or jokes from the guys, please don't! :)

Anyhow, I'm currently learning to drive and I realised yesterday that my period seems to be affecting my driving. I seem to be more likely to cut out and such when out practicing when I have my period when at other times of the month I don't cut out at all. Even my gear changing etc seems to be worse. I noticed this last month too and just thought of it as a coincidence, but now I'm not so sure.

So if any of the other girls have found this it would be good to hear back, and if any one can suggest anything to lessen the impact of my period on my driving I would be so gratefull.

p.s. I realise this thread seems really silly, and if it was my mum bringing me out to practice then I wouldn't be half as bothered as I could just explain it to her, but it's my stepdad, so it's a bit more awkward. He's starting to get a bit annoyed when I can's do the simple things all of a sudden :rolleyes:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, may be if it is affecting you so much you shouldnt be driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

irishbird wrote: »
    well, may be if it is affecting you so much you shouldnt be driving

QFT !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

At the moment I'm not driving in an area where there is any other traffic, unless I'm in a lesson with my instructor, but I get what you are saying.

It hasn't effected my concentration or anything, it's mainly just a case of taking me longer to pull off at first, cutting out maybe the first twice, and my gear changes are more noticable.

I haven't been driving dangerously, and I don't really want to bein a situation where I can't drive for 8 days of every month, so maybe it's just a case of adjusting, but thanks for the suggestion.

p.s. okay so, point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I drive shit when I have my period and shit when I dont:P

That's fair enough :)

I think my main problem is that I'm actually quite good, for someone only driving two months, when I don't have my period. So I would kinda like to remedy it. Though if it was suggested by my instructor or parents or whatever that I was dangerous at that time of the month then I wouldn't drive during it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Maybe its not effecting your driving but your confidence? Your not as comfortable when you have your period, happens to a lot of us, me included. PLus i have a habit of getting very very.. eh very frustrated when having my period. Maybe you need to have some relaxing/calming music playing while you drive or try be more confident, unfortunately i can't give advice on that one as, well it's something you have to get yourself.

Thanks for that, I didn't think of it that way, it's definitely a possibility, will give it a try and see if making a concious effort to relax will help!

They say that men don't perform as well on tests when they have their period.

So I'd say it does take away from your concentration and ability to focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I Really hope this isnt the case, as Ive a driving lesson on friday and he already gives out to me :(

I wouldn't take lessons from anyone who gives out Puddleduck.

You don't teach a dog that way much less a human!

• Advertisement

I'd agree with Moonbaby on that one, I have a lovely female instructor who has not given out to me at all.

You can't learn when being given out to, it just succeeds in making you nervous. I think that if I was being given out to by an instructor, particularly during that time of the month I would probably just end up crying.

If you aren't enjoying the lessons then it might be an idea to look for someone else!!!

Will see how my lesson this week plus period goes, hopefully it will be fine and I will feel confident regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I wouldn't take lessons from anyone who gives out Puddleduck.

You don't teach a dog that way much less a human!

Agreed. Puddleduck, i would be looking for a new instructor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

OP, is it that you have cramps, and they're distracting you from your driving? If so, i'd suggest getting a strong painkiller, if necessary get a prescription from your doc. If you are having difficult periods do speak to your doc about it.

Also, just bear in mind that there are female surgeons/pilots/judges/all sorts of professions, and that they are carrying on doing tricky things that require concentration during their period, and if they can do it so can you.

Don't let this become a self fulfilling prophecy, where one week out of four you expect to drive badly so you do.

I'm a little jealous - i'm learning to drive at the moment and i'm really bad at it all the time, not just once a month!

It just takes time and a whole lot of practice to get good, thats why I'm so annoyed with the once a month thing. I spent about three weeks, an hour each evening perfecting my take off and gear changes.

I'm not sure if it's the concentration re:cramps, because I'm fine concentrating on the road and everything, it's just the clutch with starting and changing gear, though maybe it is physical regards the cramps and leg movements, I'm already on the pill to ease really bad cramps and usuall take painkillers, but they tend to make me sleepy, so I won't take them if I'm driving, might try one of the heat patches though.

Lot's of possible solutions to try now. Oh and I find that if you train your body in regards to the movements of driving then your body should be able to do it without thinking too hard. My propblem at first was that I was so busy running what I had to do through my head that I found my body couldn't keep up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Your period probably is affecting your driving.

BUT the more you drive I promise you it wont.

Right now you are consciously thinking about the process of driving, aswell as paying attention to the road.

Give it a year or so and you wont be think about the driving process, that will be second nature to you.

Perhaps in the meantime try some heat patches etc.

Good luck with the driving, sounds like you'r doing well, stick with it- its a very important life skill!!

I was thinking about this thread, and have realised that my period doesn't affect my driving - but when i'm a little premenstrual how i react to stuff like stalling is different.

Usually i just shrug it off and try again, when i'm in PMT Hell i just want to put my head down on the wheel and burst into tears, then get someone else to drive the car. To the shops. For chocolate. :p

I suppose driving is like everything else - just that little bit trickier at some times of the month. Really, really looking forward to when i'm finished learning.

Actually....sudden thought - i wonder if the 'queen of the world' surge of happy hormones mid cycle affect driving?

I stalled at the weekend with my stepdad in the car and it took all my self control and power notto get out of teh car and just begin walking home, I ended up so frustrated at it that it took me about 3 goes to get the car restarted.

But if I stall at all normally I just laugh it off and figure out what I did wrong and keep going. That's pretty much what I mean!!!!

It's like the timiest thing going wong, the simplest thing even, it just makes me want to cry and give up.

Anyhow, I have enother lesson this evening so I shall see if I'm any calmer.

Aw just keep at it, I still get seriously nervous driving and I hate junctions but practise makes perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just need to keep at it and get more confidence behind the wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Someone tell me again why women get cheaper insurance ???

Wonder if anyone's done any research into women involved in accidents during their cycle ?

• Advertisement

iMax wrote: »
    Someone tell me again why women get cheaper insurance ???

Wonder if anyone's done any research into women involved in accidents during their cycle ?

Because were better drivers for the best part of a month all year round..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Well maybe yis should be banned from driving for a week a month...

That's it lads, I've just solved the traffic problem. All wimmin's driving licences to show when their cycle is & they're not allowed to drive for that week, unless they sync up.. that should remove about 30/40% of traffic....

I. Am. A. Genius.

iMax wrote: »
    Well maybe yis should be banned from driving for a week a month...

That's it lads, I've just solved the traffic problem. All wimmin's driving licences to show when their cycle is & they're not allowed to drive for that week, unless they sync up.. that should remove about 30/40% of traffic....

I. Am. A. Genius.

Well then technically men shouldnt be allowed to drive when there football team looses...

It so does, just came home after practice, felt like getting out of the car and punching people driving up my ass, the car cut out loads, the person helping me was irritating me and just grrr

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Well then technically men shouldnt be allowed to drive when there football team looses...

It so does, just came home after practice, felt like getting out of the car and punching people driving up my ass, the car cut out loads, the person helping me was irritating me and just grrr

Totally know how you feel - I wanted to get out of the car today and punch the traffic light. :o

But...as revved up (geddit?) as we might be by our cycles, we're not actually punching people or ram raiding chocolate shops with the car. Just because I may be finding something more difficult to do doesn't mean i'm not doing it properly - i'm just exerting a little more concentration and effort.

Men are not immune to hormones effecting driving - I think testosterone poisoning must be responsible for boy racers thinking their souped up cars with plastic bumpers and disco lighting look cool. And, aggressive actual acts of road rage violence seems to be something the men have cornered for themselves.

Gotta agree with Cuckoo, we may be that bit more emotional, however it also means that when we are no longer 'learning' to drive and are instead perfecting etc. then our period will be more likely to cause stubborness that will result in is ensuring we drive correctly!!!

So don't worry iMax, you aren't in any danger from female drivers when it's that time of the month, unless you annoy us face to face. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I used to live with a girl whose period seriously affected anything she did for those few days. She lost all concentration and coordination which was very unfortunate if she had an exam or football match.

Periods can affect some girls in extreme and unusual ways. You may just be one of them.

The coordination and concentration is grand thank god, it's just the inability to do simple things with the car. It has never really effected my before, other than being painful and such, so I would think myself it's just the hormones!

Advertisement