Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on Ford Ka2 which failed NCT on low idle CO emissions

Options
  • 28-07-2008 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some ideas.

1998 Ford Ka2. Failed emissions test during NCT. The CO level was 0.75% on low idle and only 0.5 is allowed. It just about passed on high idel (0.29% with 0.30% allowed). The lambda and HC emissions were all within easily within the correct range.

It was fully serviced a week before hand and the air flow meter changed replaced. I put some petrol treatment into it a couple of days before the test. Any one any ideas what to do to get it through.

Also need to sort out the license plates as the letters aren't visible enough so suggestions to get this done as well would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Take it back to whomever serviced it?

Replace the number plates. Not an expensive job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If I were a gambling man, I might wager that your catalytic converter is knackered. A full service should mean new plugs were fitted, that combined with normal HC emissions i'd suspect the cat. Was the car fully warmed up before the test? Cat's don't work properly until they're hot, it's always advisable to take a car for a good burn before the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Take it back to whomever serviced it?

Replace the number plates. Not an expensive job.

I rang the guy today and he is to get back to me. Was just looking for a couple of ideas if anyone had any experience as he couldn't think of anything off the top of his head.

Hope it's not the catalytic converter. The car was driven about 8 miles to NCT centre and taken in pretty quickly. May try driving the crap out of it before bringing it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

cgc5483 wrote: »
    I rang the guy today and he is to get back to me. Was just looking for a couple of ideas if anyone had any experience as he couldn't think of anything off the top of his head.

Hope it's not the catalytic converter. The car was driven about 8 miles to NCT centre and taken in pretty quickly. May try driving the crap out of it before bringing it back.

bingo

thats exactly what to do. ya wanna drive those 8 miles in 2nd or 3rd gear.

that will clear all the muck out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

If the Converter is gone (and that is a strong possibility), you can drive it to Moscow and back, and it will have no influence on the CO level. And, the low idle test is done after the high idle test, where the engine is revved up to between 2500-3000 rpm for 210 sec, or 3.5 min.
    Get it checked out properly, make sure your mechanic actually has an emissions tester, and don't spend any money on miracle cures like petrol additives, they simply don't work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement