Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price differences between Dollar and Euro on cards...

Options
  • 28-07-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

I was just checking up on my credit card statement there after a recent trip to the USA and one charge, for example was $29.99 for a shirt which going on an exchange rate of €1=$1.54 means that my card should have been charge for €16.19 but it was actually charged for €19.99.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Is it an extra charge on the transaction or what cos that exchange rate looks wrong....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fabio wrote: »
    I was just checking up on my credit card statement there after a recent trip to the USA and one charge, for example was $29.99 for a shirt which going on an exchange rate of €1=$1.54 means that my card should have been charge for €16.19 but it was actually charged for €19.99.

Where did you get this exchange rate from?

You don't get the interbank rate as advertised on xe.com, the rate you'll get will be one or two cents above/below the interbank rate.
    Ask your credit card provider what their rate was on the day of the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

There could be two reasons for this. Firstly, is the dollar rate inclusive or exclusive of tax, as goods in shop display the price of the item before tax, and the tax is then added on at point of sale. Also, there is a cross border handling fee too.

Advertisement