Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crisis of kitten conscience

Options
  • 28-07-2008 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Absolutely distraught over this, hope someone can help :(

The hubby and I were cycling around Blessington lakes yesterday and came across a tiny black kitten – on it's own, not more than 3 weeks old, dusty, thin and hiding in a roadside hedge.
    We gave him food and water, plus lots of pets, but couldn't take him with us as we were about 45 min away from the car and had no means of carrying the poor little mite back.
    That, and I was pretty sure the ride back to the city wouldn't help it either.

I'm heartbroken I couldn't do more.

By chance does anyone live near Ballyknockan and wouldn't mind looking out for him? Last seen by the side of the road heading to R758 – before the golf course – after the two pink bungalows (with big barking dogs... )

If I get out of work early enough we'll go down ourselves and look for him again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

As it was so tiny could u not of just carried if on bikes at that size could of taking it. By the lake it chances are very slim, rats and gods knows what else. If i lived near there i would be there loke a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

As it was so tiny could u not of just carried if on bikes at that size could of taking it. By the lake it chances are very slim, rats and gods knows what else. If i lived near there i would be there like a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

I'm not sure if carrying the kitten on a bike would have been a particularly good idea, especially if the bike didn't have a basket. Carrying it could likely have frightened it and could have put the cyclist in danger if the cat had reacted badly. The cyclist may have fallen and hurt themselves and the kitten.

The only thing I can suggest is taking a drive up there this evening and bringing a carrier, blanket and water and seeing if you can find the little thing. If not then maybe ring the nearest shelter and alert them to what you have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

kittens weight practically nothing, sure you could carry one in your pocket! I'm sure you're feeling bad though but at least you want to help even if you didn't make the best decision at the time. I hope you find him/her.

It's not necessarily the weight but the chance that the kitten may have become frightened at the movement or may have latched on with claws and thus giving the op a fright and causing an accident. Anyhow, I guess this isn't the point of the thread.

I think that if you are worried take a drive up and see if you can find the kitten and bring it home. It may be an idea to bring it straight to the vets if you do find it. Just to make sure it's okay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

It's not necessarily the weight but the chance that the kitten may have become frightened at the movement or may have latched on with claws and thus giving the op a fright and causing an accident.

I appreciate that, Daisy. That is the reason I didn't want to risk the ride back – kept having visions of him crawling up my shoulder or leaping out of my hands into oncoming traffic.

I was initially concerned that the hour it would take us to get back to the city may do more harm than the good we were trying to do by helping in the first place. I'll give it a go anyway!

That said, can anyone recommend a good vet in Kilmainham/Inchicore area?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Judging her for not taking the kitten is not going to help anyone.

Actually, you don't know that taking the kitten would necessarily be the best thing for that kitten. Any young kitten that seems to be abandoned by it's mother should be observed before being taken away. It is always possible that mom is actually somewhere about and will return for the kitten.

If you find a kitten like this you should always wait for a few hours before taking it inside. Kittens that are not fully weaned have no better chance of survival if they are taken like that. If you can take mom in as well then yes it is worth bringing them in, otherwise they should be left with mom until fully weaned at 8-9 weeks unless you 100% sure that they have been abandoned.

If you do go back up tonight and the kitten is not there you need not assume that it has come to a sticky end, it may be that mom was moving the kittens and she has returned for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, you don't know that taking the kitten would necessarily be the best thing for that kitten. Any young kitten that seems to be abandoned by it's mother should be observed before being taken away. It is always possible that mom is actually somewhere about and will return for the kitten.
    +1
    Unless you can know that the mother has abandoned the kitten or is dead, then by far the best thing to do is to leave the kitten where it is.

If you have a couple of hours, hang around a good distance from the kitten (to avoid scaring the mother) and if there's no sign of the mother, then you can assume something's happened.

If you don't have a couple of hours, then leave it where it is. Friend of friend who works in a vet had two teenagers come in one day with a feral cat and three kittens no more than a day old. When they attempted to examine the mother, it bolted. Of course, being far from home, they had no idea where it might be or where it might go, so one of the girls decided to try look after the kittens. Two of them died ultimately of sickness, one of them is still going strong at six weeks. If they'd been left alone instead of being caught by the teenagers (who to be fair thought they were doing the right thing), it's likely that two of them, if not all three would have survived.

Seamus and Carwash are right about not moving the kitten, I would just have assumed if it was there this evening then it had been abandoned or lost, but then again, assuming is not always the best option. :)

Hope things work out though, and that the kitten is happily found by mammy cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I only know of one vet in that area and as far as I'm concerned I'd ad void him(sorry not allowed name names) But if your driving charlemount vet clinic is not far from there up beside the barge pub on the canal you don't need an appointment.

If kitten is till their he probably just went for a wonder as they really learn how to use their legs at this age, he can't see properly while his eyes are still blue so probably couldn't find his way back. If you go back and he's still in the same area then mammy hasn't been able to find him (she would find him in 24hrs) and you do need to take him out of there but try to find were she has the rest them first and leave him there mammies wouldn't leave them alone to long at this age knowing that there starting to get out if she has a nest with others in it then she'll be back but such is nature mammy will focus mainly on the ones she thinks will mainly suvive!!
    I've had any amount of ferrels and babies here and out of any litter really only two are focused on until she realizer's there if food available all the time then she begins to focus on them as well.

Nearly all babies even born to healthy mammies and getting the best care in the world are susceptible to infection I get the odd one born here to healthy mammy and get infections mainly from them biting each other. But coming in from the wild they are likely to come down with something in the first week as they begin to get the vitamins into them the body begins to repair it's self and they let down there defenses when they see you are not going to hurt them. I tuck in a 7-8 week old of the wexford road two days ago she's a little skinny but other wise looks fine I'm expecting her to come down with something by the end of the week she's trying to get my fingers as I type so she is beginning to trust me and her defences will come down soon and she'll show me she's sick and of to the vet we'll go as did the foster I have he was 4-5 weeks and checked by the vet before coming to me a week later he ran a high temperature and of we went, he had a virus but he's bouncing around now.

If you get the kitten speak to the vet on what to look out for when she those get sick. It nearly always starts with a high temperature.

Best of luck in finding him. lets know how you get on. I'll give you some advise on how to care for him if you do. Haven't lost one yet touch wood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

he can't see properly while his eyes are still blue so probably couldn't find his way back

I may have only slightly misjudged the age- the kitten is really tiny but has green eyes. I assumed he was very young because of the soft baby fur and the dust through the coat. I didn't think he could clean himself properly(?).
    Nearly all babies even born to healthy mammies and getting the best care in the world are susceptible to infection
    Ears are clean, nose is clean, paws and limbs were all in fine working order.
    He has a weepy left eye that he can open, although the third eyelid is slightly exposed. Other than that he's grand. I want to rush him to the vet just to be sure everything is in fine working order anyway!
    (Cheers on the recommendation, too!)
    Best of luck in finding him. lets know how you get on. I'll give you some advise on how to care for him if you do. Haven't lost one yet touch wood.
    Thanks, I'll report back on the search!

The kitten is 6 weeks + if he has green eyes as they change at 6 weeks and the baby fur stay's on up until about 6 months. He'll be hard to catch at that age as they move fast he mustened be to well if he let you catch him in the first place now that you know he is over 6 weeks you can just take him home as mammy will no longer be caring for him as he's weened.

Best of luck.

at least he is a bit older than you though intimately, that is good! hopefully you will find him, let us know anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

This is Mr Bridget.Laitly here. We're glad to say that we found the kitten exactly where we left her yesterday. We only had to call her and she started meowing for us. She's now in our care and we're going to bring her to the vet tomorrow to get her checked over. Right now she's relaxing after some well earned dinner.

I'll post photos later; maybe she'll win somebody's heart and want to give her a loving home.

Thats brilliant, congrats! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

preilly79 wrote: »
    This is Mr Bridget.Laitly here. We're glad to say that we found the kitten exactly where we left her yesterday. We only had to call her and she started meowing for us. She's now in our care and we're going to bring her to the vet tomorrow to get her checked over. Right now she's relaxing after some well earned dinner.

I'll post photos later; maybe she'll win somebody's heart and want to give her a loving home.
    Well done! Fair play for going back out for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Yay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Taht's so good to hear. You must feel very relieved. And bet the kitten can't believe her luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

That's great! Sounds like a lost pet if it's that tame.

Glad to hear you got her good on you's for going back. If she's still dusty and dirty try to wash it of she'll put up a fight but it's better of than in her lungs just make sure she is kept warm after wards. I used a baby formula with the last kittie (couldn't get the usual stuff seems to be of the market) it was sma LF (lactose free about 7.50 euros) 3-4 times a day is fine and he's thriving on it you just use one scoop to every 4-5 ounces it's full of vitamins and helps build the immunsystem up or get a formula from the vet she's not to old to be on it for a while and if you can try to give her tuna three times a week and some fresh meat every day (ham ,chicken or best of all turkey) form packets will do, it will help build up her iron levels if she gets sick it's her best defense in getting better. Most of all enjoy your time with her.

Chalemount are great with giving advice even the nurses will give good advice if your stuck for any. Just love her and she will come around if she's skiddies give her space to get use to all the new things and noises.

If your stuck for any answers Just post and I'll keep a check but you should do fine.

Good luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Awww that's great news very very lucky kitten.

aww, she is so cute! are you going to keep her then? :D

She's lovely and right she's thin ask your vet when best to worm her as she won't come on until she is, the worms just get everything. And that right eye looks a bit turned probably has an infection so the vet should give you drops to help clear it. But she is really cute. fare play to you again for going back to her she looks about 7 weeks old lets know how you got on at the vets ? well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Ah great to hear a good story :) Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Oh so cute and looks really happy to be there and safe, she does look like a walking skeleton with fur though, she definatly needs to go to the vet and be wormed, she will look gorgeus when she fills out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Mmm... I'd say she's already won some people's hearts !! :)

Well done on rescuing this poor little kitten - she's absolutely gorgeous!

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Well done for getting her!!!:) LOVE the name!

Just a note, please don't give her tuna, it contains mercury & unsaturated fats, both of which are dangerous to cats if given more than as a treat.
    The salt content in ham isn't great for little kittens either.
    If you can get to any decent petstore, they will have royal canin babycat milk. Babycat Milk is enriched with EPA/DHA. DHA is naturally present in the mother cat's milk, and this nutrient is essential for kittens during early growth.
    They also do babycat nuggets which a tiny kitten can eat. This is what I feed all the kittens on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You're both angels - I'm so glad ye went back, and that ye found her. I'd have been sick worrying about her if I'd have gone back and there was no sign of her. She's absolutely gorgeous, a little princess. Well done! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Just read the thread. Have tears of happiness on my cheek. Beautiful. Well done OP :)

Advertisement