Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crisis of kitten conscience

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Just read the thread. Have tears of happiness on my cheek. Beautiful. Well done OP :)

Much appreciated... I guess sometimes the hard decision isn't always the final one. ;)
    cotton wrote: »
    Well done for getting her!!!:) LOVE the name!
    Thank you! Everyone who's heard it so far has at least laughed a little!

We've just back from the vet (many thanks indeed to BlackCat2008 – Charlemont vet was heavenly and we couldn't ask for a better, closer clinic) with a few revelations about the little furball currently asleep on my lap:

1) She is a HE... It's amazing how easy that is to miss. All the parts are so tiny! Good thing Cheesecake is a neutral name:o
    2) Eyes checked out. He's a healthy, well behaved little dote who just needs to be fattened up.
    3) Lice. EEK! Got him sprayed down with stuff that should kill those evil things.
    4) In 3 weeks he can have his shots and should be fat, happy and healthy enough to go to a good home.

That's the sad truth, folks. We'd love to keep him and love him here, but while we can foster for a month or so– it can't be long term. :(

So, we'll keep posting updates on The Cake and when the time comes, maybe one of our lovely Boards folk will have a spot for the world's best kitten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

cotton wrote: »
    Well done for getting her!!!:) LOVE the name!

Just a note, please don't give her tuna, it contains mercury & unsaturated fats, both of which are dangerous to cats if given more than as a treat.
    The salt content in ham isn't great for little kittens either.
    If you can get to any decent petstore, they will have royal canin babycat milk. Babycat Milk is enriched with EPA/DHA. DHA is naturally present in the mother cat's milk, and this nutrient is essential for kittens during early growth.
    They also do babycat nuggets which a tiny kitten can eat. This is what I feed all the kittens on.

You are right cotton tuna does contain salt thats why I only recommend it three times a week, 5 out of 10 cats/kittens coming into me the last few years have had very bad joints to the point they don't even try to get up of there legs when they are behind there backs which is quiet a shock to see. I feel the benefits from the tuna three times a week far out ways the salt which I try to sock out if I can't get one with omega's other than that it doesn't really contain much for them. Two of the worst effected are the biggest in the colonie now and as strong as oxes, with brains to match, one is nearly 20lbs/kgs (sorry can't remember how they weight them vet did it for me) the vet said he's a good weight for his size and joints are in great shape not that my back would tell you the same. Ham along with most meats even those from the butchers (as I was told when I decided to home cook more after feeding them shop bought brands for years, we all make mistakes glad to say I know better now) contains salt as a preservative, but a great amount of iron, and once a week does no harm. I guess we all have are own ways of doing things and find things that benefit them.But always recommend getting advice from the vet.

Is there any pet shop on the south side that sell that milk the one's I used to use seem to be gone of the market, have to say as a substitute the sma FL has worked great now all I need is to get them to stay easy, but I don't mind, I choose the sma because it contains the hardest vitamin to get into cats, taurine and vitamin a-e and along with a host of vitamins but needs to be given in small amounts so not to overdose them with vitamins the down side to it is soybean but the vet didn't see any problems with the ingredients. I don't feed mine royal canin since I learned how to read the ingredients on the foods but it is much better than any shop bought brand by a long shoot, I'd like to find something which would be of better benefit to the kittens that I didn't have to weight up my self and I think that milk would at least be worth a look. I've read some of the work you've done on other posts so I do value your opinion if you say it's good.

I'm glad to hear cheesecake is fine and that eye is OK I'd say he's in good hands with you's and it won't be long before you see the weight creep up on him and he is the bee's knee's.

I knew you'd like Charlemount as anyone I've sent there holds them in high regard. They really care for the animals not just see a profit and the nurses are always able to tell me when I ring what my animals are up to so I know they spend time with them not just change the cages and give them medication. Even the dirties, flea ridden and hardest to deal with animals I send into them are treated like kings and queens there quality of care really shows.I've been with them about 14yrs and never heard a bad word spoken about them.

Hope all go's well with him and will look out for him to appear in a few weeks would love to have him but already have 12 and lots looking for homes.

Best of luck with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I don't feed mine royal canin since I learned how to read the ingredients on the foods

Can you elaborate? I always thought royal canin was one of the best cat foods?

Bridget - well done on your rescue and best of luck finding a home for your kitten. You could put up a home wanted sign in your vets and on irish animals & here. (And give the respondents a good grilling to ensure they'll mind the little darlin'!)

MsFifers wrote: »
    You could put up a home wanted sign in your vets and on irish animals & here. (And give the respondents a good grilling to ensure they'll mind the little darlin'!)

Thanks, MsFifers! We've had a chat to the good folks at Charlemont Vet and they were thrilled to help find him a home when the time comes!
    Anyone looking to adopt The Cake will get a thorough checking-out from us, he's just the kind of kitten who's going to make a fantastic cat and deserves the very best home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I'm not worried about the salt in tuna, it's the mercury & unsaturated fats that I would be concerned about. Here is a link containing more detail. http://www.kittenadoption.org/feeding.htm#tuna

I suppose everyone differs on what they prefer to feed but RC works for me. I know you don't like it blackcat, but it contains taurine.;)

Petland in Blackrock or Bray both have babycat milk.

i

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Well done im so glad you went back for her .

MsFifers wrote: »
    Can you elaborate? I always thought royal canin was one of the best cat foods?

Bridget - well done on your rescue and best of luck finding a home for your kitten. You could put up a home wanted sign in your vets and on irish animals & here. (And give the respondents a good grilling to ensure they'll mind the little darlin'!)

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet but can't seem to get it right to post, kitten stood on it the first time and wiped it, just spent an hour doing it again and it wouldn't let me load something about reloading????(that really pissed me of ) this letter is the second one because it has to reload again???? so hear go's nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just followed this story from the Pets Pix thread.

How is the little mite doing now?..

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    Just followed this story from the Pets Pix thread.

How is the little mite doing now?..

Thanks for asking, Mairt!

He's absolutely grand, already well into the legs and ears phase of cattenhood– plus getting nice and fat (and spoiled) by his two biggest fans. He loves leaping around the place, alternating chaos and mayhem with adorable cuddles.

*sigh* what a great little boy he's turned out to be!

Advertisement