Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on buying a Cooper-S

Options
  • 28-07-2008 12:23pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

My better half is considering buying a Cooper-S

The budget is around 18-20k and looks like a '05 is about in that range. Is this realistic or do you think there are newer ones in that price range?

A/C is a definite requirement - but from doing a bit of digging it seems that this was optional on the S. Is is rare or do most of them have it?

Is there anything in particular to look out for in terms of faults etc..?

I've only had a spin in one once but it seems like a fun car to drive - plenty of 'go' as well..:D

She also wants a particular colour but that's a different story.:rolleyes:

Any opinions / pointers appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Made In Ireland

I hope she's good looking, because from what i've seen on the roads, they don't sell these cars to ugly birds! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Might be worth considering going to the UK for one. They tend to be cheaper and you will probably have a better choice in the colour and spec you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I hope she's good looking, because from what i've seen on the roads, they don't sell these cars to ugly birds! :)

the ol' credit crunch must be kicking in because from what I've seen lately, the dealers are lowering their standards considerably :D. It's not right - when you see a MINI, you have every right to expect a hot bird driving it:cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ha ha very funny - If I wanted comments on my hawt GF then I'd have started this in AH...:pac:

More car talk please;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

SteveC wrote: »
    More car talk please;)

seconded (officially, that is :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I don't know about pricing, availability of colours or liklihood of aircon, but if you were asking the question "should I buy MINI?" I'd say hell yes!

Anyone have any MINI forum links that may help SteveC find known faults?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

well the a/c is not standard on any of the models. you had to pay extra or get at least the pepper pack for the a/c to be fitted. don’t think the salt pack was an option on the cooper s

going to the U.K would be a very good option as there are loads of the sold there.

as for faults you should not have much to stress about if you buy one that has the TLC pack on it. only problem I had was the alternator gave in but that was repaired for free under warranty and I got a car for the day off them as well.

also when you do go for the older models try go for one with at least the pepper pack on it as they come with nothing every thing is an option on it. even the clove box on the older model

other than that have to say its the most fun I have driven as they say its a MINI adventure when you go to the shop :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

o for any faults and things go check out www.mini2.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

seriously good fun to drive, i'd imagine anyone who did buy one new added A/C as an option.

On the down side, realistically there is no back seats and boot space is tiny and no spare wheel.

170bhp from a small car ... good fun !!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭skinner2x

AudiChris wrote: »
    I don't know about pricing, availability of colours or liklihood of aircon, but if you were asking the question "should I buy MINI?" I'd say hell yes!

Anyone have any MINI forum links that may help SteveC find known faults?

I used this website, its quite good...
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=602&

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    seriously good fun to drive, i'd imagine anyone who did buy one new added A/C as an option.

On the down side, realistically there is no back seats and boot space is tiny and no spare wheel.

170bhp from a small car ... good fun !!

+1

I had one for a month, unbelieveable fun to drive, and the sound of the turbo/turbocharger just makes you want to floor it all the time.

Agree, no boot space, but I'm 6 ' 1", and there's loads of leg room for the driver.
    Bit bumpy on bad country roads...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks for all the great tips guys keep 'em coming.

I haven't looked at what's in the different packs yet (didn't know about them) so thats a good pointer.

VRT looks like 3k ish from the UK so that's certainly worth looking at.

I don't think boot space or back seats will be an issue - bit concerned over no spare though. I presume you're supposed to use a can of tyre weld?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

skinner2x wrote: »
    +1

I had one for a month, unbelieveable fun to drive, and the sound of the turbo/turbocharger just makes you want to floor it all the time.

Agree, no boot space, but I'm 6 ' 1", and there's loads of leg room for the driver.
    Bit bumpy on bad country roads...

I think the MINI Cooper S had a super charger rather than a turbo charger.
    I don't think boot space or back seats will be an issue - bit concerned over no spare though. I presume you're supposed to use a can of tyre weld?

Would presume so but I think some of them came with run flat tyres, these could have been a factory fit optional extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

AudiChris wrote: »

I was about to write the exact same thing!
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Would presume so but I think some of them came with run flat tyres, these could have been a factory fit optional extra.

A friend of mine has run flats on her cooper S. Just remember that run flats are not cheap at all. Think she was quote €200 - €250 for a new one a couple of weeks ago!

Yeah it's supercharged. :D:D
    BrynW wrote: »
    Think she was quote €200 - €250 for a new one a couple of weeks ago!

Holy shit - that could be important alright, thanks

Thats right, typo!

The one I had had both, (turbo for low revs, supercharger for high rev).
    Now its just a supercharger

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Are you sure about that? Did it have an after market turbo added on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Thats right, typo!

I think someone is telling fibs :D
    The first generation cooper S had a supercharged 1.6
    Second generation is a turbocharged 1.6

Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Thats right, typo!

I think it's the other way around, Super C for low revs and Tubo C for high revs.

cashmni1 wrote: »
    I think it's the other way around, Super C for low revs and Tubo C for high revs.

Nope, mini are not using this type of charging, you must be mixed up with VW.
    See my post above.

• Advertisement

The mini site said:
    With its twin-scroll turbocharger – a premiere in the small-car segment – and the Overboost function which ups the torque to 260 Nm

I was assuming 'overboost' = supercharged.

The Honest John site said:
    Supercharged MINI Cooper S with 163bhp. Together with a six-speed gearbox, gets it from zero to sixty in around seven seconds and on to a top speed of 135mph. Fuel consumption need not suffer unless you boot it hard as a combined figure of 33.6mpg has been recorded for the 1,140kg car. Torque is 155lb ft (210Nm) at 4,000rpm, with at least 124lb ft (179Nm) available between 2,500 and 6,500rpm.

Also says it's supercharged...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Avoid the biggest wheels (18"?) as they ruin the ride. Fuel economy is poor if you drive it quickly.

Nice little cars though.

The mini site said:

I was assuming 'overboost' = supercharged.

The Honest John site said:

Also says it's supercharged...

The latest model (current) is turbo charged, the overboost feature is just extra torque produced by the turbo for a short period of time, like for overtaking.

The previous model was supercharged.

Do you know the difference between a turbo and a supercharger? (not being smart here btw)

Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Neilw wrote: »
    cashmni1 wrote: »

Nope, mini are not using this type of charging, you must be mixed up with VW.
    See my post above.

I must say that I don't know if there was 2 types of charger in a mini or not. My statement was more generaly based.
    A Super charger will work better at low revs and a Turbo charger at high revs. I have seen the configuration at work on a large pump generator. (big big diesel engine)
    I just thought that the poster before got the sequence wrong and it never dawned on me that there was only one type of charger.
    Oh well, you learn something new every day............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Crackin little car they are, look out for the subaru powered ones ( they share the same blower As far as my memory goes back )

Deffo go to england to buy one though.

S.I.R wrote: »
    Crackin little car they are, look out for the subaru powered ones ( they share the same blower As far as my memory goes back )

Deffo go to england to buy one though.

Didn't think subaru ever use superchargers?
    The turbo's used in subarus are IHI units and nothing like the turbo in the new cooper s.

Good advice about the UK, plenty to choose from there.

Neilw wrote: »
    The latest model (current) is turbo charged, the overboost feature is just extra torque produced by the turbo for a short period of time, like for overtaking.

The previous model was supercharged.

Do you know the difference between a turbo and a supercharger? (not being smart here btw)

Neil.

Yeah, I know the difference. :p

When you say the previous model, do you mean the original (old style) cooper or are there two generations of the current model? If so, when did they change?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yep. 2 generations ok. Change was relatively recent.

Yes there are 2 different models of the new look mini (not the original small one)
    Think the first cooper s started in 2002 till 2006 (1.6 supercharged)
    Then the second generation one was availible from late 06 till now (1.6 turbo)

I am open to correction on these dates :)

Neil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

As far as I know.....
    There was actually 3 versions. The first new MINI (think it was the R50) had a facelift (R53) and then the new new MINI is the R56.
    The R50 & R53 both had the supercharger, the R56 has a turbo - the same engine shared with peugeot.

Will stand corrected on the the above thou....

Advertisement