Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on buying a Cooper-S

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

if you want a better car, at a cheaper price, with the performance
    Skoda Fabia vRS.
    simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Junior #8 wrote: »
    Skoda Fabia vRS.
    simple as

Even though I do like the Vrs fabia, a cooper S would be a more sought after and a far more fun car to drive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Junior #8 wrote: »
    Skoda Fabia vRS.
    simple as

She's interested in the look and fun factor rather than performance - if she wanted to go fast she'd borrow my yoke all the time, thankfully she doesn't!....:pac:

If thats the case why not point her in the direction of a nicely specced mini one diesel from the uk, or a cooper diesel if your budget stretches that far.

Cheap vrt due to low emissions and great mpg to go with it.

A cooper s is a very thirsty car.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Find a MINI one diesel with a body kit and she will have the good fuel economy and the looks of the sportier model

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Neilw wrote: »
    If thats the case why not point her in the direction of a nicely specced mini one diesel from the uk, or a cooper diesel if your budget stretches that far.

Cheap vrt due to low emissions and great mpg to go with it.

A cooper s is a very thirsty car.

Neil.
    *ahem*
    shhhh, I want to drive it too....;)

Cooper D would be an option maybe - bit dearer though.

SteveC wrote: »
    *ahem*
    shhhh, I want to drive it too....;)

Cooper D would be an option maybe - bit dearer though.

Ahh I see, and I don't blame you, they are great little cars :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

You are right there was a facelift of the new mini in 2003 and this was to accommodate the convertible. And also the time the mini ONE D came to the market.
    I bought my ONE D in the U.K back 2.5 years ago. If you can get a 04 or 05 model it would be better as they increased the bhp from 75 to 90ish the 03 models was only the 75bhp and this was Toyota’s engine (by the by) only difference between the d4d and the ONE D was the ONE D came with a 6 speed box.

I treated my self to a new Cooper D a year ago. And its a lot of fun. Only problems I have is it gets a bit tail happy from time to time (well my own fault for that)

Also the spare wheel was an optional extra £30 back in the day. For the people to cheap to buy a spare or fit run flats they gave a bottle of white stuff and a small air compressor (if you do go for that make sure you have it in the car when buying it as it will cost you to get the MINI one’s from the dealer afterwards)

On the cooper D I have run flats and the 195 / 55 / R16 will set you back at least €140 each (I bought some a week ago)

My mate has a 07 Cooper S with 17” run flats and the ride is a bit rough with the sport suspension. You do feel them bumps.

As for the small boot. According to the marketing stuff that came with the ONE D if you put the seats down you have a 150L boot this is enough to fit 150L of milk (without the bottles) and with some strategic folding a whole cow (just took there word for it never actually tried it as I don’t own a cow)

Only thing as well getting a diesel in U.K is not an easy task. When I traded mine in (bought the new one in U.K as well) it was on the forecourt 3 days before it was sold. The sales man told me they have a list of people who want them ONE D’s

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If she doesn't want performance, why not a normal cooper?
    Zwart: I heard some few sources that the one D is a noisy diesel compared to the new Cooper D, was in for a test drive last week and they had no D to drive, just a normal Petrol which has plenty of poke none the less! I wonder will the extra grand for the D be worth it?
    The salesman said theres a new convertible out in Sept/Oct and he expects toys to be added to the standard spec for other models.
    OP: Try to go up to the newer model (06 onwards) as the clocks etc inside look wayyyyyyyyy cooler, maybe a 06 or 07 cooper (non s), looks as cool, plenty of poke.
    Lastly, i thought 17" were the largest standard wheels, is ride that bad with them? The best bed for anyone is to order the sparre wheel and put non run flats on the car, save plenty of money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

personally i thought the Cooper D is a bit more noisy than the ONE D but then again when you are in the cab it does not really matter unless you down the windows.

also as far is i know the current MINI 06 onward will get a face lift soon again to accommodate the convertible that's out in the not to distant future.

as for more toys i don't know since they have not done it in the past but then again who knows what them Germans are thinking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement