Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling & floor height differences question

Options
  • 28-07-2008 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I have taken up the timber floor in my hall as part of some renovations and am going to replace with tiles as it's a high traffic area and the boards were fairly damaged.

The original floor was OSB express nailed to the concrete with the floor boards secret nailed to this giving an overall height of 47mm.

Ideally I suppose I should just strip the floor back to concrete and tile straight onto this? However my sitting room is floored in exactly the same way as the hall and the kitchen has 2 layers of tiles (previous owners idea not mine) so I'm getting a little confused as to sorting out the inevitable height differences.

If I go back to concrete and tile onto this I'm looking at a step of 35mm between the tile and the sitting room floor (+ height of saddle as this is already in place and the door fitted to suit). Is this too much? I'm aware there will also be a difference in height between the double layer of tiles in the kitchen and the hall but I wouldn't worry as this will be only 10-15mm.

The other option is to leave the OSB in place and tile onto it. However I'm wary of this and think I should screw down sheets of hardboard/4mm ply to the OSB rather than tiling directly to it. This will leave a slight step down to the kitchen and up to the sitting room but, as it's effectively splitting the difference, may be the best solution.

Any thoughts, suggestions or opinions on how best to go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

you could replace the OSB with ply of the same thickness

If you have steps it will look crappy in my opinion and will be a trip hazard.
    Better off to have a proper step rather than something that looks accidental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Yeah the tripping hazard is one concern I have alright. I'm not sure though if it's that bad. Before the solid boards were taken up in the hall there was a step up from the kitchen of about 23mm which was sloped at the door and we never even took a bit of notice of it.

If I put 4mm ply onto the osb and tile onto this then the step into the sitting room will be 9mm. The step down into the kitchen will be 14mm. I don't know if these are large enough to be considered tripping hazards really.

Advertisement