Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My doggies are depressed ]:

Options
  • 28-07-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

My dogs are boarder collie and half border collie half terrier. Whenever I look out the window they're lieing down looking depressed.
    Are boarder collies supposed to be worked or do they just need more attention/extra treats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Checked the temperatures lately?

It's hot ...they're just being clever.

Unless of course thay are always like that ... then I'd say they need some stimulation. Dogs very rarely entertain themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

they need 1-2 hours exersize every day. are they getting that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

kerrysgold wrote: »
    they need 1-2 hours exersize every day. are they getting that?
    Um, about an hours I'll give them more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

well that's great that they are getting an hour a day, some people never bother walking their dogs. if they are out in the garden they are probably bored, bring them in and give them somes toys or treats to keep them occupied. mine get really bored when I put them outside, they never do anything to entertain themselves.

also, maybe you could consider giving them a challenge, like take them to training classes or start teaching them agility, borders are very intelligent and like having a job to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

btw ...excercise doen't have to mean that you drag them round the block on a lead for an hour.

As you seem to be at home, just go out every now and then and throw them a ball for a few minutes or do some training lessons or even just simply sit in the grass with them and give them some cuddles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

maybe they read the papers..its all doom and gloom lately:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

You can run the legs of a dog but if you never actually interact with them it's no use. Try teaching them games or tricks they like to work their little brains and love being told they did well. Mine is have dash/pointer and she is very restricted because she is aggressive but loves to play games when I'm waiting on the kettle to boil or the dinner to be done. She plays ring a ring a Rosie's,she likes to sneeze and fall down and have her tummy tickled and hide and seek she only hides in her bed while I open all the presses to look for her but gets a kick out of it when I find her in her bed. It's not much and may seem like I'm a little loopy my self but she enjoys it if it's even for then minutes. But she is very intelligent and needs the interaction. I'm going to teach her to become a sniffer dog (not that I need one and she is 8yrs old ) but just for her to have something new to learn and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

border collies are SMART dogs.

they need to be intellectually challenged or they just get bored.
    Do not underestimate what a smart dog can learn - they need to keep learning things their whole life to be stimulated and happy.

Advertisement