Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire and junkies.

Options
  • 28-07-2008 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Is it just me or is Dun Laoghaire getting more and more full of junkies? Everywhere I look I see them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I wouldn't be in Dun Laoghaire more than once a twice a week, but i never see any :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I've noticed a few around the wall at the junction of marine Rd and georges St of late alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Alwasy has been junkies in the DL, nothing new to me! Always around the church and down the seafront. They're too strung out to do any harm.

Bit of an eyesore though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

They've built some sort of half way house or sheltered accommodation and allegedly this is attracts their buddies out from the city :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

there is a rehab centre on patrick street. i'm told they're always in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sun and Seaside, it attracts them from miles around for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

Yeh I notice them alright, the worst one of them is up in monkstown farm, uaually hangs around the shops/46a bus stop and he is actually crazy, making mad faces at people and shouting and the like... not a great start to the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Yeh I notice them alright, the worst one of them is up in monkstown farm, uaually hangs around the shops/46a bus stop and he is actually crazy, making mad faces at people and shouting and the like... not a great start to the morning!

believe it or not but he's not actually a junkie. Likes his drink though but is actually a nice enough guy. Next time you see him say hello i promise he won't bite. His name is PJ

Also isn't there some rehab centre up on patricks street or one of those streets where the junkies go to get their weekly fix??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Dun laoire wrote: »
    believe it or not but he's not actually a junkie. Likes his drink though but is actually a nice enough guy. Next time you see him say hello i promise he won't bite. His name is PJ

Also isn't there some rehab centre up on patricks street or one of those streets where the junkies go to get their weekly fix??

Yep thats defo PJ..............although if you do work up the courage to say Hello.......have some change in your hand as you will most certainly be tapped:D

The guy isnt the worst once ya know him.........ask him about the mods and rockers from the 70's........he seeminly was always involved in riots and that years ago.........he loves paul weller and the jam.......one of these days i swear im gonna see him explode right in front of me............his blood pressure does be through the roof:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Haha what a guy, every morning he's there rain hail or shine jumping around waving his hands around and shouting....with the can of beer in one hand!
    So will I bring a ghetto blaster to the bus stop on the way to work tomorrow morning and blast out The Jam?? He'll be delira!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Is it just me or is Dun Laoghaire getting more and more full of junkies? Everywhere I look I see them.

There are lots of them - specially in the evenings. Daytimes its roma begging and evenings there are junkies /winos floating about the place its a shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabbo57

Ha Ha, my auntie lives next door to him, he's an absolute headaball...pretty harmless all the same by all means

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Im gonna try and take a photo of him next time i see him :D likewise if anyone is going past him on the bus etc........see can ya get one.

MOD EDIT - Please dont.
    Agent smith

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The number have definitly been increasing recently...

On a scarier note I think I walked past one who had died the other day. Walked past her in doorway of GTI layed out, came back past bout an hour later: out cold, another guy crying and trying to wake her... it was creepy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joconn

yeah there seems 2 b a few round there thers also 1 called willie always lookin 4 smokes an stuff total begger an then theres another i think called morgan seemingly even the kid arnt safe with this pair but all due respects bout pj he isnt a bum but this willies patch is from londis 2 the bookies bside the statue now its time these idiots got a job an supported themselves or r they imcapapable.nothin as bad as been tapped everytime u move on oliver plunket

joconn wrote: »
    yeah there seems 2 b a few round there thers also 1 called willie always lookin 4 smokes an stuff total begger an then theres another i think called morgan seemingly even the kid arnt safe with this pair but all due respects bout pj he isnt a bum but this willies patch is from londis 2 the bookies bside the statue now its time these idiots got a job an supported themselves or r they imcapapable.nothin as bad as been tapped everytime u move on oliver plunket

Hang on a second i know Morgan and he is o.k. Always tapping me for the odd euro here and there but i would by no means say he's a threat to anyone. I'd be in shock if i ever heard he was a threat to kids. I did have a conversation with him about getting his act together and getting himself a job but he's in a rut too long now to change i think. Thats the vibe i got from him anyway. Actually I promised him a night out (all expenses paid) recently if sachs ever reopens. I'd say aul Morgan could scrub up well given a shirt, shoes and slacks........ oh and a toothbrush. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joconn

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Hang on a second i know Morgan and he is o.k. Always tapping me for the odd euro here and there but i would by no means say he's a threat to anyone. I'd be in shock if i ever heard he was a threat to kids. I did have a conversation with him about getting his act together and getting himself a job but he's in a rut too long now to change i think. Thats the vibe i got from him anyway. Actually I promised him a night out (all expenses paid) recently if sachs ever reopens. I'd say aul Morgan could scrub up well given a shirt, shoes and slacks........ oh and a toothbrush. :D
    bout morgan an willie the bums ur probably right on that bout morgan but wat i was tryin 2 say is the kids arnt excused as b in kids he will still bum of them not touch them in any other way. but isnt it a disgrace that these creeps cant even let the kids pass without touching them 4 money .as 4 the shoes slacks and sachs if an wen u do get him there they will probably call the place sacks.seemingly there is a park bhind the applegreen shop were kids gather at night an they say it can b a bit intimadating 2 pass these bunch smokin pot an sellin .isnt that wat we dont want in our neighbourhood .beggers on 1 corner an drug pushers on the other .as 4 wrk 4 these people its never 2 late 2 turn it around i suggest givin alarm clocks 2 these bums 4 xmas there better of than the wrkin man an then we hav the svp saint vincent de paul givin them cash payin there bills an so on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

bout morgan an willie the bums ur probably right on that bout morgan but wat i was tryin 2 say is the kids arnt excused as b in kids he will still bum of them not touch them in any other way. but isnt it a disgrace that these creeps cant even let the kids pass without touching them 4 money .as 4 the shoes slacks and sachs if an wen u do get him there they will probably call the place sacks.seemingly there is a park bhind the applegreen shop were kids gather at night an they say it can b a bit intimadating 2 pass these bunch smokin pot an sellin .isnt that wat we dont want in our neighbourhood .beggers on 1 corner an drug pushers on the other .as 4 wrk 4 these people its never 2 late 2 turn it around i suggest givin alarm clocks 2 these bums 4 xmas there better of than the wrkin man an then we hav the svp saint vincent de paul givin them cash payin there bills an so on

Any chance of translating that into english for the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

seconded - my brain actually hurt after reading those two posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I was accosted once by a short bald eastern european fellow with two children because he thought I shouldn't be allowed park my bike on the path near the argos - because he was stupid enough to catch the corner of his buggy on one of my tyres. (there was enough space to fit 2 massive buggies around me, he just didn't look where he was going) Was cursing at me, even had the audacity to spit on my bike - I got up to abuse him, but I couldn't exactly do anything with 2 children there. *sigh* SO glad I decided against buying the house I was looking at in Dun Laoire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Yeah, haven't a breeze what he's on about.

joconn, please refrain from txtspk please as it's fairly difficult to make sense of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

jim o doom wrote: »
    I was accosted once by a short bald eastern european fellow with two children because he thought I shouldn't be allowed park my bike on the path near the argos - because he was stupid enough to catch the corner of his buggy on one of my tyres. (there was enough space to fit 2 massive buggies around me, he just didn't look where he was going) Was cursing at me, even had the audacity to spit on my bike - I got up to abuse him, but I couldn't exactly do anything with 2 children there. *sigh* SO glad I decided against buying the house I was looking at in Dun Laoire.

And you would be the racist if you were to point out some simple fact to the guy.

I sometime noticed that the 46A Bus contained a few junkies ( I was always laughed at for suggesting such a thing). They were really offensive, and they were always hurling abuse at the passangers. I recall one young woman had the misfortune to look around at the wrong time. She had to get off a few stops early to ensure she got out alive. Furthermore, they stank to high heavens. I hate junkies

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pixiestix

I have to admit, I really do not like junkies, I really cannot bear to be near them, and it's not because they smell, it is because they are scum, they have no excuse to be the way they are other than they are weak, shallow, selfish mongrels. I have seen them in DunLaoghaire too, and they really take the look off the place, I used to love going to DunLaoghaire to chill at the seafront and paint or take my boys there, but I had to stop going because I feared my sons might fall on the grass and end up with a bottle, or worse, a needle in their hand or knee. My eldest son and I used to go out every tuesday on the 46a and sit right up the front on the upper deck and he used to love looking all around, but we cant do that any more, and it is sad that such a lovely place has been ruined by such filth.

I know there is nothing can be done to stop it really, it would just be nice to have the pretty places back, let the junkies keep the inner city, but give us back our scenery and peaceful places.

pixiestix wrote: »
    I have to admit, I really do not like junkies, I really cannot bear to be near them, and it's not because they smell, it is because they are scum, they have no excuse to be the way they are other than they are weak, shallow, selfish mongrels. I have seen them in DunLaoghaire too, and they really take the look off the place, I used to love going to DunLaoghaire to chill at the seafront and paint or take my boys there, but I had to stop going because I feared my sons might fall on the grass and end up with a bottle, or worse, a needle in their hand or knee. My eldest son and I used to go out every tuesday on the 46a and sit right up the front on the upper deck and he used to love looking all around, but we cant do that any more, and it is sad that such a lovely place has been ruined by such filth.

I know there is nothing can be done to stop it really, it would just be nice to have the pretty places back, let the junkies keep the inner city, but give us back our scenery and peaceful places.

I often think to myself what has gone wrong with Dun Laoghaire. It's just not the place it used to be. Take the shopping centre for starters. What a complete waste. Always half empty, brutal for food and not one decent mens clothing shop in it. The top floor? The junkies should park themselves up there and sure nobody would even notice. Then you could take the roadworks that went on all those years ago? Took way too long and absolutley murdered businesses along lower georges street. It was never the same after that. Then you have Bloomfields. Another excuse for a shopping center. Never busy and Rip off parking. Whoever made the decision about parking prices has failed in his/her job. They've bitten off their nose to spite their face. Then you take the nightlife. Paps a complete joke full of kids Lime and scotts don't seem to be up to much. Bodega is half decent and i'm being generous saying half decent. I've had my jacket stolen there due to them not supplying a cloakroom service. They should be ashamed. And then we have all the filthy junkies hangng around like a bunch of rats.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Unfortunatly DL's location and it being to all intents and purposes Dublin's second town it will always attract scum. The DART, all the buses going through DL is a major factor. I don't know why they put a drug clinic there, okay, i know its a central hub ect but it ruins what could be imo one of Dublin's best tourist spots. Agree about the shopping centres, terrible shops and a rip of. The ones on the main street are poor too. I had the displeasure to witness a fight between some junkies and roma beggers outside the Church once and it has completely put me of the main street tbh.

Its a pity because their is some great characters in DL, its a pity that pikeys and junkies are ruining what is an ideal sea side town.

I do think though that the seafront has improved and the port is being done up quite well though to be fair, the sailing clubs wouldn't have it any other way though.

I dont think its got anything to do with junkies 'liking to be beside the sea'. I passed by 4 different junkies walking up upper georges st last evening, then a different 2 on the way back about an hour later (including one who could not open his eyes properly as he was too zonked on methadone/q/naps or whatever). I think this could have something to do with the sheltered accomodation place in that swish looking apartment block on the corner? (maybe not but they tend to gravitate in that general vicinity whether they live in it or not).

It really is a shame and must be severely off putting to any tourists waiting on the ferry who may head up to town to kill an hour or two. Also for any women walking alone at night.

In fairness I have never had any physical hassle from the junkies/wino's/homeless looking types knocking about the place.

During the day though the roma spread strategically along upper georges st and down toward the pavillion are much worse. With the new laws against aggressive begging hopefully the gardai will finally be able to take care of that.

Just noticed this link :

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/council-pays-out-8364237m-in-fees-for-consultants-1503277.html

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council spent a staggering €23.7m on "consultancy and professional fees" last year, it has emerged.

Between that €24 million in consultants fees and the recent 'electric car' & 'carbon footprint' initiatives you would think they would address the issues that are staring everyone in the face day in day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Morlar wrote: »
    During the day though the roma spread strategically along upper georges st and down toward the pavillion are much worse. With the new laws against aggressive begging hopefully the gardai will finally be able to take care of that.

I saw what looked like an arrest of a Roma woman at lunchtime a couple of weeks ago. Maybe she hadn't a word of english, or maybe it was just an act to try and plead ignorance etc, I don't know. But there was a gang of older irish women watching the scene intently saying how terrible it was that she was being arrested.

So I can't see there being a crackdown of any huge significance any time soon.

Stky10 wrote: »
    I saw what looked like an arrest of a Roma woman at lunchtime a couple of weeks ago. Maybe she hadn't a word of english, or maybe it was just an act to try and plead ignorance etc, I don't know. But there was a gang of older irish women watching the scene intently saying how terrible it was that she was being arrested.

So I can't see there being a crackdown of any huge significance any time soon.

I saw a well dressed frail looking elderly woman coming out of m&s a while back being literally blocked and walked into a corner by 3 roma (who were probably together on a lunch break as they usually spread a bit further apart).

They basically pinned her against the wall by blocking her path and walking into her until she gave them some money and they let her go. By the time I could get free it was too late and she was gone and the roma dispersed. That time I was not able to step in though I did once in tallaght prevent 2 male roma from mugging a girl on her own.

Another Dun Laoghaire one I also saw a garda giving a caution to a roma woman down at the AIB (past the lime bar). She was selling the big issue magazine while also begging at the same time about a week ago. (Apparently the big issue prevent its re-sellers from begging while selling).

I think the guards are not ignorant to their behaviour and I do honestly think there is a desire among most people to see a crackdown come into effect. Of course there will always be some fluffy headed do-gooders feeling pity for the 'poor downtrodden' roma regardless of how they behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

what has this country come to ! First it was junkies now it is foreigners robbing our frail and upstanding members of society.I read this story about how the"one legged beggers" are brought in just to beg for some sort of top dog within the roma tribe.Do we need this sort of thing going on in our country? Hell no:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Dun Laoghaire just has its fair share of junkies. Nothing significant. I lived in Monkstown Farm for a long time and it was very bad for a while. Not so much now. I would consider it harmless.

Advertisement