Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weimaraner

Options
  • 28-07-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of getting one of these dogs to keep my boxer company as from September I will be out of the house for nearly 8 hours a day. I thought about giving the boxer to someone who has more time to spend with her but it doesn't seem to be working out.
    I will only be looking for a dog that is 2yr+, so what are your thoughts on this. Is two dogs really better than one?
    And before people start getting on their high horses about leaving a dog for so long, she will have access to the back-garden and house, loads of toys and in addition to the new dog, if I decide to get one, 2 cats that she can play with.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is she territorial?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I have one of these dogs. They are pretty hard work and mine has hip dysplasia which means hydrotherepy and vet bills, so I would get insurance.

I hope you find a rescue one if you are looking for an older one.

This doesn't go for all Wiemaraners, but I will tell you about our one.

He can play up on us if we go for walks together, fine if one of us is on our own with him. This is improving a lot lately though.

He is dreadful in the car, as are most of his litter mates. They need to be crated.

He sleeps a lot during the day and gets two long walks. One in the morning and one in the evening. If these walks are missed he tends to get a bit giddy around the house.

He is a thief. He will rob absolutely anything for a good chase.

He is very mouthy and tends to mouth everything, even peoples hands.

He gets covered in froth when hot.

When he drinks he spills water everywhere.

He reacts very well to training, has excellent recall and tends to enjoy himself most when "working" or training, retrieving "finding" things for us, "helping" us... Basically the more time spent with him the better.

He doesn't have food issues, his belly is fine.

He is an excellent guard dog. He is suspicious of strangers and will bark confidently, I would imagine he would bite if grabbed or kicked.

He can be great fun, really good fun but you really really need to put the time and effort in to him.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I wouldn't go for such a big, energy hungry, demanding dog if it's just a companion. I'd trawl the shelters to find a calm but playful dog, not necessarily big, but your boxer won't mind if he or she is not a pedigree!

If you added a Wiemaraner to the mix, then you'd need even more time, rather than less. Gorgeous dogs though.

A retired greyhound might be a good option for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I agree with the retired greyhound option! very quiet and sweet and are usually perfectly socialized with other dogs so if you're boxer is good with other dogs herself there wouldn't be a problem.

you definitely couldn't get a puppy anyway.

you should also think about hiring a dog walker to come in during the day to take them out for a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

kerrysgold wrote: »
    I agree with the retired greyhound option! very quiet and sweet and are usually perfectly socialized with other dogs so if you're boxer is good with other dogs herself there wouldn't be a problem.

you definitely couldn't get a puppy anyway.

you should also think about hiring a dog walker to come in during the day to take them out for a break.

Would a greyhound be a suitable companion for a lively boxer? My dog sounds excatly as the one described above. any time she meets another dog, all she wants to do is play, it doesn't matter to her if they don't want to play back, everything I have heard about greyhounds leads me to believe that they are passive dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Yeah it depends on the individual dog. As a breed, their temprement is quite calm, but it doesn't mean they're not playful! They'd certainly give your boxer a 'run' for its money! :D

You'd be best chatting to a rescue about this - they might have a grey/lurcher that would suit your situation. You have cats though? I'd make sure to check whether or not they'd be 'keen' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Would definitely agree with a grey/lurcher, I didn't want to introduce the one I found to the other one I found (a collie ) as they are big dogs so I was going to hold of until he had his bath and got the scent of the house on him. Came down one morning to find the two of them snuggled up on the couch not a bother and they have been great friends ever since not sure how they got the door open between them but they seem to be a good match the collie is hyper and mouthy and the greyhound just seems to take it all in his stride. He's happy to take over the couch and have an hours walk in the afternoon and a half hour at night and yes they do have a happy hour as well they don't just look like there panned out all the time. They are very curious and will spend time with you when you come home following you and learning from you. I wouldn't give mine up for the world only I run a rescue and he is a danger to the cats but other wise this is a dog that is willing to get to know everyone and every thing I would put them right up there with the best of dogs (collie, labs, boxers etc) But anyone with cats or other small animals really needs to take care when getting one as some will not get on with them and have been trained to hunt them. But top dog yes mine nearly talks to you. Good luck in your choose.

Advertisement