Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with VW Golf GTi

Options
  • 28-07-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I have a problem with my 2006 Golf. A couple of weeks ago the EPC light came on and then the exhaust warning light came on. I took it to the dealer I bought it from (who is not a vw dealer) to have it checked out. He thought it was a break switch but it wasn’t and now he said it needs a software upgrade. He said that this could be expensive and is not covered under the engine and gearbox warranty. Since then on three or four occasions I have turned the key in the ignition and nothing has happened but will start perfect on the second turn.
    Has anybody ever had a similar problem? Should this be covered under the warranty?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Since you say you bought it off a non VW dealer I am presuming you bought the car second hand, this means that they have provided a used car warranty on the car, unfortunately if the issue is not covered by their warranty there is not alot you can expect the non VW dealer to do. You really need to check the terms and conditions of their warranty though.

However if the car is still under 2 years old then the car should be covered by the original VW warranty. In this instance you should be able to bring it to a VW dealer to be diagnosed and fixed under the original manufactuer's warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You need to get the error codes read by a VW dealer. Could be an engine problem and the dealer is trying to get out of it. A VW dealer will read the codes for 30 quid or so and you can see then if its covered by the waranty you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Some one with vagcom could do a scan and read the error codes for you, I did one a gti the other day (airbag light on).
    Where are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Most car manufacturers give 3 years warrenty rather than the minimum 2 that EU law requires, sadly VW only provide a 2 year warrenty in Ireland but do 3 years in UK, lucky us Irish :D

Could be an O2 sensor, atleast that's what was common EPC light issue on the MK4 Golfs.

Advertisement