Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need cig-lighter installed in Cork

Options
  • 28-07-2008 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a place in Cork that will install a cigarette lighter in my Ford Fiesta. There's already a placeholder for the cigarette lighter in the car (as if it was available as an option when the car was new).

Anyone know how much it would cost to get one installed? I need it for satnav.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

plazzTT wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for a place in Cork that will install a cigarette lighter in my Ford Fiesta. There's already a placeholder for the cigarette lighter in the car (as if it was available as an option when the car was new).

Anyone know how much it would cost to get one installed? I need it for satnav.

Thanks.

Go to a car scrap dealer, (there's one at the end of Pouladuff road, and the road that links you to the airport road) and pull one out of a fiesta or any car to be honest, check behind the place for the lighter, you might find the original wiring tied up somewhere.

if you dont want to do that, then maybe halfords at mahon point might do it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    Go to a car scrap dealer, (there's one at the end of Pouladuff road, and the road that links you to the airport road) and pull one out of a fiesta or any car to be honest, check behind the place for the lighter, you might find the original wiring tied up somewhere.

Defo go to a scrappie.

Even if the wiring isn't in the loom, the fuse holder probably will be there in the fusebox. Pretty simple job for a reasonable mechanic/handy novice to wire it in.

A good idea is to check the owners handbook and see where the fuse location is for the cig lighter. It will probably need a hefty enough fuse, 15-25A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

An auto electrician could also do it. There's one based near Flannerys on the Glasheen Rod.
    Get the part from a scrap yard or even price the part in DRIVE the Ford garage, might not be too dear. Then get the auto electrician or any mechanic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you were getting an auto electrician to install it, would it be worth considering having the SatNav wired in directly? Could make for a much neater looking install.

eoin_s wrote: »
    If you were getting an auto electrician to install it, would it be worth considering having the SatNav wired in directly? Could make for a much neater looking install.

I was thinking the OP needed this cigarette lighter for a Sat Nav too but they don't say that's what they need it for. It may be that they just want it for lighting cigarettes?
    Agreed, a direct wiring job would be a neater install for a Sat Nav, but would it compromise security? You know they way now thieves are targeting cars with suction marks on the windows as they know there's a good chance there's a Sat Nav in the glove box. The wire might be a give away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yeah, you're probably right. Was just off the top of my head really. The OP did say it's for Satnav though.

eoin_s wrote: »
    The OP did say it's for Satnav though.

You're dead right, speed reading got me that time, still though they might want a multi-use socket?

Advertisement