Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring a house for Broadband?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭

Currently with BT and our broadband speeds are terrible, BT say they have tested it outside the house and were getting our 3mb. Trouble is that's not what were getting inside, BT have suggested we get an eletrician to rewire our phone system......

there's one phone line coming into the house which connects to a really old junctin box in the attic, from there it's fed to all the other lines in the house (3 phones)..the wireless routher is connected to one of those lines with a dsl filter on the other 2......

How would you go about upgrading the current system, is there a certain type of phone cabling we should be using, what kind of junction box (splitter) should be used.....should the router be placed in the attic? The phone lines were put in about 30 years ago....

any help much appricated, this is going to be a DIY job....thaks..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT have suggested we get an eletrician to rewire our phone system......

any help much appricated, this is going to be a DIY job....thaks..

The bible is here.

http://www.reci.ie/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

1. disconnect all internal wires leaving junction box empty

2. ambush eircom tech with van and ask for an NTU . This is a standard eircom master socket .

Put NTU socket in attic wired to junction box and IF YOU HAVE POWER up there , run wireless DECT phone off that . Otherwise leave it empty . Eircom are responsible for providing service as far as the NTU and no further .

3. You only need one socket downstairs for modem if you run DECT from the attic so get 2 or 3 pair pair phone wire from any electrical wholesaler, run from bottom area of NTU unit to modem location and wire into an RJ11 "mod tap" socket which will glue onto a skirting neatly (a surface mount socket like this one ) electrical wholesaler again.

http://www.parts4pc.com/newprodut/Prod_Individual3.aspx?groupcode=I1052

4. If no power in attic you may need a second mod tap IN SERIES with the first for the dect phones or non dect phones .

5. ALL SOCKETS MUST BE IN SERIES but disconnecting unnecessary wires from that junction box in the attic may sort things out for you short term , see your modems stats before and after each disconnection .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    2. ambush eircom tech with van and ask for an NTU .
    lmao

Thread about rewiring phonelines here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thanks for taking the time to reply Sponge Bob...that's really usefull....

I'm going to head out now and find an eircom van....are they easy to brake into?, i'm a BT customer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Thanks for taking the time to reply Sponge Bob...that's really usefull....

I'm going to head out now and find an eircom van....are they easy to brake into?, i'm a BT customer:D

Eircom own the lines so its still their responsibility even if you're on bt. I'd be a little skeptical in the Eircom techy just handing you out free kit if you ambushed his van but it couldn't hurt to have a wee chat with him anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'd be a little skeptical in the Eircom techy just handing you out free kit if you ambushed his van but it couldn't hurt to have a wee chat with him anyway.

ASK NICELY for an NTU ...is what I meant ....:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement