Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it legal make the car looks like a cop car?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I do have a white car, wondering if i can buy a set of those garda yellow orange decal then put them on my car just for fun?:D

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It is not an issue of legality you should be concerned about, but one of taste my good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Just careful, there's a fine line you can draw between having fun and disturbing the peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I do have a white car, wondering if i can buy a set of those garda yellow orange decal then put them on my car just for fun?:D

I very much doubt it. There are a lot of security company cars and vans do do look a bit like cop cars

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

grahambo wrote: »
    I very much doubt it. There are a lot of security company cars and vans do do look a bit like cop cars

Yep, there's a van that drives around my area that is constantly getting confused for a Garda van. You see a lot of drivers slamming on the brakes as soon as they see it parked up on the side of the road. I think blue lights are a no-no though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

grahambo wrote: »

Yeah, they all seem to draw the line at blue lights and Garda crests.

Don't see any problem with putting a yellow stripe down the side and the reflective chevron pattern on the back (apart from the aforementioned taste issue).

What I would do if I drove a white Mondeo would be to pull the hubcaps off it, put a big dent on the rear passenger door, put an aerial stub on the roof and leave a yellow reflective jacket on the parcel shelf.
    All you gotta do then is grow a mustache, buy a fleece and drive everywhere in first or second gear.

No one'll mess with you then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You forgot to mention needlessly break every rule of the road.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Would you not just buy a dark blue Ford Mondeo place a center mount antenna on the roof and pretend it is a branch car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AudiChris wrote: »
    Yeah, they all seem to draw the line at blue lights and Garda crests.

Don't see any problem with putting a yellow stripe down the side and the reflective chevron pattern on the back (apart from the aforementioned taste issue).

What I would do if I drove a white Mondeo would be to pull the hubcaps off it, put a big dent on the rear passenger door, put an aerial stub on the roof and leave a yellow reflective jacket on the parcel shelf.
    All you gotta do then is grow a mustache, buy a fleece and drive everywhere in first or second gear.

No one'll mess with you then...

+1

I was going to suggest this too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I know a guy that was involved in the drifting scene a few years back and he used to run a white MV6 Omega with Garda lettering, blue lights, reflective strips, chevrons and H****** Confidential with his mobile no. on the rear 3/4s.

AFAIK he never got any hassle about it from the law.

EDIT: It was actually orange lights he had on the roof now that I think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Making it look like a garda car is one thing, but blue lights are illegal just so you know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

BrynW wrote: »
    Making it look like a garda car is one thing, but blue lights are illegal just so you know!
    So is putting blue neons under the car, seen this idiot driving around Bray with them on the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Flasing Blue lights are illegal, you can have a blue beacon fitted just don't turn it on (Ideally take the bulb out), and I pretty sure you can't have either the word Garda or Police on the car either.

You see classic police cars at the classic car shows, it's ok to have a police car in a field, but before going home you see them remove the sign or put tape over so that it reads POLICE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Would you not just buy a dark blue Ford Mondeo place a center mount antenna on the roof and pretend it is a branch car :D

Funny you should say that - a friend was telling me there that he used to have a dark blue Mondeo and he frequently noticed people jamming on brakes when they saw him, and hurriedly getting out of his way on the motorway. Said he noticed a big difference in behaviours after he changed it for a more 'civvy' looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Just get one of these bad boys, and a new shape focus

DXM206-dual-led-dash-light.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

as far as i know, the design of the garda car is a reg trade mark replication is infringement of copy right...

As I said before the guy I know that did it dodn't get any hassle from the fuzz but I would imagine that was down to the good nature of the guy involved and the local cops.

I could it going a totally different direction in another town, not worth the hassle at all I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FocusIreland

S.I.R wrote: »
    as far as i know, the design of the garda car is a reg trade mark replication is infringement of copy right...
    thats the one i was worried,they may take me off then ask me 'where u got this car?':D then fine me for the copy or just take the car straight away:rolleyes:
    or i should copy another country's cop car? say jap or french? but european one may against the EU copyrights(if those police car design they do have any copyright):cool:

I think the best course of action would be to just file this idea away under "Ways to annoy the law".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Blue lights whether they flash or not are illegal - don't know about the rest of it. As said some security cars come pretty close.

AFAIK, you can be done for impersonating a guard....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I've seen some guy going around in a Chevy Impala cop car with 'NYPD' written all over the side of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Dark blue D reg Mondeo with 2 extra aerials.

As garda esque as it gets really.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

Bought a dark blue D-reg focus saloon a couple of months ago and have seen a marked improvement in road behaviour around me - very entertaining!

Most common is modified car hooning up the motorway behind me, then standing on the brakes and pulling meekly into the driving lane behind me. Usually takes 10-30 seconds for them to confirm no extra aerials etc. and continue on their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I've seen some guy going around in a Chevy Impala cop car with 'NYPD' written all over the side of it.

that would be this guy, they are in behind the village

http://www.nypd.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

having worked on garda cars i can tell ya, dont assume its not a cop car just because it dont have 3 aerials.,lol
    Ive seen anything from fiesta's, punto's, Volvo's, primera's, berlingo's etc etc.,

you "could" get that reflective scotchlite striping on the car if ya like, its the word "GARDA" thats the big no no and obviously using a blue light too. you could get arrested for impersonating a cop and end up getting 6mths in prison., :)

why would ya want to have a car that looks like a patrol car though? you couldnt park it anywhere for the fear of some chav wrecking it.,lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

How about these bad boys (I am referring to the cars by the way!)?

Bring back the days of the blue cop cars with beacons on a roof rack, particularly navy Ford Orions with one wheel cover left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

vtec wrote: »
    having worked on garda cars i can tell ya, dont assume its not a cop car just because it dont have 3 aerials.,lol
    Ive seen anything from fiesta's, punto's, Volvo's, primera's, berlingo's etc etc.,

you "could" get that reflective scotchlite striping on the car if ya like, its the word "GARDA" thats the big no no and obviously using a blue light too. you could get arrested for impersonating a cop and end up getting 6mths in prison., :)

why would ya want to have a car that looks like a patrol car though? you couldnt park it anywhere for the fear of some chav wrecking it.,lol

Who assumes it's not a cop car cos of the lack of aerials?

We're just saying what would look like a cop car, and 3 aerials does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

walshy123 wrote: »
    that would be this guy, they are in behind the village

http://www.nypd.ie/

That guy has a Dodge Diplomat cop car, as opposed to the other one I saw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Who assumes it's not a cop car cos of the lack of aerials?

We're just saying what would look like a cop car, and 3 aerials does.

errm,
    Most common is modified car hooning up the motorway behind me, then standing on the brakes and pulling meekly into the driving lane behind me. Usually takes 10-30 seconds for them to confirm no extra aerials etc. and continue on their way.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Buffman

thats the one i was worried,they may take me off then ask me 'where u got this car?':D then fine me for the copy or just take the car straight away:rolleyes:
    or i should copy another country's cop car? say jap or french? but european one may against the EU copyrights(if those police car design they do have any copyright):cool:

I'd be more worried about getting done for impersonation than any copyright stuff. If you realy want to go down this road best to try a foreign force, one that uses red lights if there are any. The NYPD cars are ok as they are obviously not Garda cars.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

Max_Damage wrote: »
    That guy has a Dodge Diplomat cop car, as opposed to the other one I saw.

didnt think there would be two nypd cars!

Advertisement