Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Sperm Count

Options
  • 28-07-2008 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all

We have been ttc for 1 year now. Got pregnant on our first try of femara (same as chlomid) and had a miscarriage in Jan 2008. Tried two more failed attempts at femara and just had a results back from hubbie's sperm test. Not good. He has only 6million thingies and the normal is 20million.

He has been given vitc and other meds and told not to have hot showers etc.

Just a question for anyone else out there with husbands with a low sperm count and what they did to increase this??? I know the usual - healthy food, drink water, keep cool, no hot baths.

Has anyone tried any other supplements or tried anything else??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I know the usual - healthy food, drink water, keep cool, no hot baths.

Don't underestimate the effect that a healthy diet will have on you and your husband. I know it's a bit "yada yada" but eating well and exercising regularly can make a _vast_ difference to your body and how you feel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I had a count of 7M about 1.5 years ago and had considered going for supplements and such but went down the road suggested by Khannie and adjusted my lifestyle but cutting back on drinking, changing my diet to a) always have breakfast b) lots of fresh fruit and steamed vegs c) no more fast-food.

While we still aren't pregnant I feel a *lot* better with myself, have lost 2 stone and have a count up at about 16M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Is this the first time he was tested? If so, or if results are very different from last time, have a re-test done in about 3 months. My husband had two excellent tests, but one with extremely bad motility and low count in between. Doctor said that can happen, it was just "a bad month".

Also make sure he keeps cool down there- no saunas or hot baths, no laptop close to his swimmers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Glittergirl

Hi there

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, this is his first try and we live overseas (in a very hot country) so it maybe the hot weather as well!!

He's getting a test in a couple of months again so fingers crossed.

See ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Drinking and smoking have an adverse effect on sperm. Also tight clothing.
    Ponsters advice is good. Also, Zinc supplements are good for swimmers.
    Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Glittergirl

Hi all

Good news ... DH has been taking vitamins etc. for the past month and low and behold ... his sperm count has gone from 6 million to 20 million so happy days.

We had 2 IUI's done the other day so fingers crossed!!!

He also gave up alcohol for the whole month (which was a bit difficult as he does enjoy a few brewskies watching the footie), but how and ever ... it seemed to work.

Anyway, thanks for all your replies.

See ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

That is great news, good luck with the IUI! It worked for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

good luck on your tww!!

Advertisement