Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone used Gregory Brady Motors?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has bought a motor from Gregory Brady Motors up north in Lisburn?

I was looking into buying a new or nearly new BMW 5 series - 2 litre turbo diesel and from various searches, these guys appear to have really excellent prices compared to down here.

For example: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/520/D-M/1122506/

Is there any catch to this? It says that VRT is paid and if you have a VAT number you pay X, otherwise Y - but their prices are much lower than down south - I don't get it?

I'm possibly being paranoid, but wondering what people's opinion is or even better if someone has dealt with this garage previously and what their experience has been like (after service etc included).

Much thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Have a look at this thread it explains how VAT works

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055290198

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

Ive bought alot of motors from Greg in the past,Great to deal with and very fair!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DC5_ITR

Cheers lads

andyeire, am I to understand that I'm liable to pay further VAT once it's in the south? I thought having had the VRT paid on it would mean it's properly 'legit' in the south. Price is 40k with a VAT number and 46k without a VAT number - is still 4k cheaper than southern prices, so I do wonder which VAT is being paid. 4k is a lotta money to just say "ah feck it, i'll get it off one of the overpriced dealers in the south", so am very interested in what the story might be here as you can imagine. :)

Have a look here

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_InfoGuides&id=HMCE_CL_000165&propertyType=document#P169_15946

From that i think you are able to buy exVAT in the UK (you dont need a vat no.).But you have to pay Irish VAT when you register car here aswell as VRT.

You dont pay UK VAT @17% but have to pay Irish VAT @21%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Carefull here.........i made an enquiry with this dealer over a crewcab and i was being misguided (and i'll use that word lets just say)

do your homework, and then do it again - before you commit to ANYTHING with this dealer.

• Advertisement

I would say things would be different for a commercial vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DC5_ITR

Hmm so in reality the price after our 21% VAT is far closer to the price down south - difference is about a grand, if that.

Oh well, I knew it had to be too good to be true! :o

Thanks for the replies folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

andyeire wrote: »
    I would say things would be different for a commercial vehicle

Not really....info on this crewcab i was looking at to import for a client was been given to me incorrectly.
    I happen to know the score inside out on them, but to an unassuming punter - this salesperson in that garage was possibly being misleading.

just my experience on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GBM1

I SEE ON THE NOTICE BOARD YOU SPOKE TO A SALES PERSON AT MY GARAGE GREGORY BRADY MOTORS

IF A MEMBER OF STAFF OR I HAS GIVEN YOU MISSLEADING INFO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT INFO WAS INCORRECT TO ALLOW THIS TO BE CORRECTED

WE ARE 23 YEARS IN BUSINESS OUR COMPANY POLICY IS TO OFFER GOOD CARS AT FAIR PRICES AND PREPERED TO THE HIGEST STANDARD

PLEASE CALL 04892621333 AND ALLOW ME TO CALL YOU BACK TO CORRECT THIS MATTER

YOURS SINCERLEY

GREGORY BRADY

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont see that they are particularily cheap. you would certainly have one from uk a few thousand cheaper so it certainly not too good to be true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement