Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to find a certain quote...

• 28-07-2008 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I'm trying to find a quote with no luck, and was wondering if anybody is familiar with it and could give me a source for it.

Posting this request in here because I'm not sure where else it would go :)

I'm not sure of the wording, and I have no idea who said it, which is part of the problem. The other part of the problem is that it concerns Batman, and my google searches with that keyword are being flooded with "the Dark Knight" pages which aren't relevant to the search.

My search for the quote was inspired by a conversation I had with my gf when we'd just come out of seeing the film, so I suppose its related in a tangental way ;)

Anyway, the general idea of the quote is the character of Batman is popular because secretly, every man believes he can /be/ Batman. The guy might not be particularly fit, or even inclined towards a healthy lifestyle, but every guy believes that given the right set of circumstances - say, if ninja's killed his entire family, and he went to the far east and trained for years, he could become a master of martial arts, and come home and take his revenge and fight crime and whatnot.

The original quote worded it much better than I can, obviously, and there may have been an extra part about the speaker reaching a certain age, and looking at himself in the mirror and realising that that particular fantasy just isn't going to come through.

So, has anybody ever heard a quote that fills those criteria? I would be much obliged if you'd give me the details if so, cos this has been wrecking my head since I half-remembered

it :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think the only quote you need to hear is "get a life"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Oh, the irony tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Oh, the irony tbh.
    How So?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Um, I can't remember a quote that I read years ago and thought was well worded. I'm asking for help finding a source for it, what from that prompts your response?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

STFU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

"Deep down, every guy thinks he can be Batman", Psalms 23,12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Brace yourself, noobling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah I think I've heard this bit... a standup comedian... might have been Dane Cook, but I'm not sure.

Kold wrote: »
    "Deep down, every guy thinks he can be Batman", Psalms 23,12.

I looked that up, and its close but not the right one unfortunately.

"...and he left them and went out of the city, into Gotham, and he lodged there"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Antilles wrote: »
    I looked that up, and its close but not the right one unfortunately.

"...and he left them and went out of the city, into Gotham, and he lodged there"

Are you using King James version yeah? Think mine predates it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've heard it before, either in a Tarantino film or in a stand-up routine but I guess someone would have pointed it out had it been the former. I've never heard Dane Cook so I don't think it was him, unless he's an unholy plagiarist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I've never heard Dane Cook so I don't think it was him, unless he's an unholy plagiarist.
    Ah it probably wasn't him then.
    I know I've heard it somewhere... can we rule out Tommy Tiernan and Gerry Seinfeld too?
    This is going to bother me :|

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

But can we rule out Dylan Moran? I think it might be him, but haven't time to listen to all of this before I go home.

Nah, About 6.30 in he compares Jesus to Batman but it's not that thing about every man thinking he can be Batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I think this may help: Link

Google for " batman -Dark -knight "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Was it Seinfeld talking about Superman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

This turns up a few times around the 'net, close?-
    "Just like every man under the age of 30 still believes that with enough discipline, training, and working out there's the possibility that he could in fact become the Batman, every man thinks that with the right suit he could fly up and shoot rockets at tanks."

Sounds close, Rovi, but I don't think that's the one :(

I already tried -dark -knight on google, but didn't have much luck either; some similar stuff but not that one I'm looking for.

I found this earlier on:

"Given the time to train and the financial injection, we could be Batman.
    What separates Batman from Superman is that Batman is actually quite possible. He's just a regular guy (no superpowers) who was pushed to the edge, so he trained his whole life to become a champion fighter and detective, using his sickeningly huge fortune to build gadgets and a cool car. What's so hard about that? We all have underwear we can wear on top of our pants. Becoming a superhero is very possible, and we guys know we could do it if we really wanted to. The only catch is that we'd have to be odiously rich and willing to sacrifice our lives in order to turn into crime-fighting machines. Not a problem… if we wanted to"

...which seems again quite close but not on the button. I'm starting to think that maybe "all guys want to be batman" is just a cultural meme that has been stated in various ways by various people through the years.

Still, if anybody can find the one I'm thinking of (specifically the quote ending up with the speaker in front of the mirror realising that no matter what he does he aint gonna be batman), I'd be well impressed and thankful :D

Ok, I think I've found the one I was looking for. If not, its the closest I've seen by far anyway. The only problem is that it doesn't feature Batman, but either my brain inserted a framing story about batman and looking in the mirror, or what I am remembering is somebody talking about this quote.

Anways, for the sake of closure (unless I come across the actual page where the rest of the story is written), from Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash":
    Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherf*cker in the world. If I moved to a martial-arts monastery in China and studied real hard for ten years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, and devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad. Hiro used to feel this way, too, but then he ran into Raven. In a way, this was liberating. He no longer has to worry about being the baddest motherfarker in the world. The position is taken.

Thanks for your help, folks.

Advertisement