Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food poisoning advice?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was just eating a ham salad roll from a Mace when a friend in work spotted the ham in his lunch was gone off.

I opened my roll and sure enough the ham was purple and stank. I generally eat fast and I didn't notice.

I feel like I could get sick at any minute and I was wondering if I have any comeback if I want to complain to the shop?

Do I keep the 'evidence'? Do I only complain if I get sick?
    Should I just leave it and not bother?

I would appreciate it if anyone has any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Bring it back in to them I would say. Does it have a label with a date on it that you can, or do you have a receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Bring it back in to them I would say. Does it have a label with a date on it that you can, or do you have a receipt?

Well I just hurled. :(

It was from a deli in Mace so no wrapper or date.
    No receipts given.

I may give the manager a phone call.
    Our work crowd buy lunches from this place all the time.

No manager there until tomorrow.

Ugh.

Can I report this to the HSE or someone? Is is a council thing?

I'm quite annoyed about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

The best bet is always to try and resolve it with the establishment directly. Failing that the FSAI perhaps?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

For the sake of other customers, point it out to them. At least two people have been served up rancid meat.

• Advertisement

I spoke to the Manager by phone and also sent a notice to the FSAI on their website.
    Will see what happens.

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

If you continue to be sick- diarrohea, vomiting, cramps etc- go to doc and get tested for food poisoning- its the only proof really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

We caught Salmonella from a chinese a few years ago (undercooked eggs). We went to the doctor and she informed health board. Turned out many many people got the same dose. Health board called us and took it very seriously. Some people successfully sued the chinese (wish I had as well).

Go to doc (involved stool samples for us) and get the sickness confirmed asap.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

meep wrote: »
    Some people successfully sued the chinese (wish I had as well).
    I always wondered how people could prove they got food poisoning from a restaurant. Could they not just argue that you got yourself sick? i.e. how can you proof it was the establishment in question and not something else you ate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

In our case, we went to a local doctor who had already seen two other cases that day with same symptoms and claiming to have eaten from the same place. I think docs notify relevent authority in such cases. Person who called us wantyed to know what we ate, when etc.

I guess it would be more difficult if you were a once off case and not part of a large group

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

More than likely it was a bad batch and others more than likely have got the same. The management might be aware of this but are keeping a lid on it. If there is food poisoning among several people it would be worth joining up and considering a class action law suit. If you feel Ill see your doctor immediately and get a report from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

LOL! Firstly - there is no such thing as a 'class action law suit' in Irish law. Don't base all your legal knowledge on US TV shows, run_to_da_hills

Second - I doubt you could sue over this. It's not like the OP has ended up in hospital, gravely ill.

Third - OP, food poisoning would never be apparent within an hour of eating the dodgy article. The vomiting is probably psychosomatic.

Finally - report those jokers to the food safety authority and DON'T give the shop the dodgy meat back!

eth0_ wrote: »
    I doubt you could sue over this. It's not like the OP has ended up in hospital, gravely ill
    The incubation period Escherichia coli O157:H7 can be between 10 hours to 9 days but usually 3-5 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

eth0_ wrote: »
    LOL! Firstly - there is no such thing as a 'class action law suit' in Irish law. Don't base all your legal knowledge on US TV shows, run_to_da_hills

Second - I doubt you could sue over this. It's not like the OP has ended up in hospital, gravely ill.

Third - OP, food poisoning would never be apparent within an hour of eating the dodgy article. The vomiting is probably psychosomatic.

Finally - report those jokers to the food safety authority and DON'T give the shop the dodgy meat back!

Food poisoning normally takes about 24 hours to come into effect so yeah, the vomiting was most likely a psychological thing. I'd write a letter to the manager of the store. Written complaints are the best... verbal discussions are worth nowt really. I would also remind him the amount of people from your place of business that frequent the shop on a daily basis, and that if your complaint is not adequately addressed it won't be long before your people find somewhere else to shop.... That should get him listening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Food poisoning normally takes about 24 hours to come into effect so yeah, the vomiting was most likely a psychological thing.
    The time required for food poisoning to kick in depends on which particular contaminant is involved. Without any kind of testing done, it's hard to know what's responsible.

The symptoms from the most common types of food poisoning generally start within 2 to 6 hours of eating the food responsible. That time may be longer (even a number of days) or shorter, depending on the toxin or organism responsible for the food poisoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The incubation period Escherichia coli O157:H7 can be between 10 hours to 9 days but usually 3-5 days.

Well the OP will have to wait and see then, and have fecal samples taken if he becomes ill in a few days time. The fact he has vomited already and hasn't mentioned any other symptoms would lead me to believe it's nothing serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Food poisoning symptoms take place within 24 hours not after. I worked in a busy restaurant a few years ago. Every now and then there were complaints of food poisoning and any that happened 24 hours after leaving the restaurant were dismissed immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

LolaDub wrote: »
    Food poisoning symptoms take place within 24 hours not after. I worked in a busy restaurant a few years ago. Every now and then there were complaints of food poisoning and any that happened 24 hours after leaving the restaurant were dismissed immediately.
    so because your boss in a busy restaurant dismissed people who were not ill within 24hours you believe the same? surely a medical opinion is more valid in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

LolaDub wrote: »

Food poisoning can take time to kick in, your boss was trying to pass the blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I never said it was my opinion, please read the post.

Not boss, the health inspectors. They said very clearly that if a customer experiences symptoms after 24 hours then its from something else they ate.

Op how have you gotten on so far?

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    so because your boss in a busy restaurant dismissed people who were not ill within 24hours you believe the same? surely a medical opinion is more valid in this case?
    I already mentioned Escherichia coli O157:H7 (Commonly known as E Coli) can kill and can be found in undercooked meat especially burgers. It can take several days to incubate. In Washing State there was a serious outbreak where hundreds became ill from the "Jack in the Box" food chain, four subsequently died. http://www.about-ecoli.com/ecoli_outbreaks/view/jack-in-the-box-e-coli-outbreak/

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Every establishment preparing/producing food for human consumption needs to have even a rudimentry form of traceability. If you return to the deli have a look out for numbers posted around the deli counter marking out their CCPs...fridges would usually be a very obvious one. That points out that they have a HACCP procedure in place. This system is supposed to identify "Hazards" that may have a detremental effect on food safety, be it biological,chemical or physical...and a procedure in place to "control" the hazard. So long as the system is managed correctly,its a very effective method to ensure food is safe to eat.

If the shop does have a working HACCP system in place and the ham was indeed "off" it should be very quickly established where,how and why the OP ended up with it in his sandwich....but it also shows that the shops HACCP system has failed!!

Can I ask why posters are refering to E-Coli 157??

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

if i could pass out for a couple of hours that would be great otherwise kill me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

5Aces wrote: »
    if i could pass out for a couple of hours that would be great otherwise kill me now.

well done bringing back a 2Year Old thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Just realised how old this is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement