Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do next?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭

My parents ordered BB from eircom in June they got the modem and installed it.
    it didn't work ( brother set it up)

so they got an Engineer out to have a look at it,

He came out and said there may be a problem with the line "down town" house is 4 Km from exchange.
    since then there has been silence.

I rang Eircom today and was told that the house was too far from the exchange.

i pointed out that the neighbors on either side of my parents house has Eircom BB they said the lines must be too old! (the lines have been there since 1979)

they gave the reason that the other houses can get bb was they were plugged into a different port in the exchange! is this Bull?

anyway i canceled the whole thing and they said there would be a full refund. (funny enough they didn't mention the Router)

are Eircom obliged to run a new line ? and if so how do i go about getting it?

i would like my parents to have it as they are getting on a bit and my sis is in New Zealand,

according to the upgrade list the exchange (Macroom) was upgraded to the new speed this weekend.

any pointers appreciated
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

First, get your parents to check the next bill to see whether they have been charged for the engineers time. Eircom tried this on me once with a self install which didn't work even tho the DSL light was lit. After 2 expensive premium rate calls to their "help" line they insisted that they would have to send an engineer out at my expense. Strangly, after I told them that I didnt need an engineer and would be canceling the BB, it worked the next morning! I had made absolutly NO changes to the original install. I know your situation is different.

Secondly, I don't think Eircom are obliged to run a new line unless you request it and are prepared to pay for it. If the line has been damaged and Eircom claim that its not their fault then they MAY insist that someone foots the repair bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

Secondly, I don't think Eircom are obliged to run a new line unless you request it and are prepared to pay for it. If the line has been damaged and Eircom claim that its not their fault then they MAY insist that someone foots the repair bill.

Make sure you order a NEW Line AND Broadband TOGETHER through their online eircom.ie 'order line and bb bundle now' system and cancel the old line when they install it.

By ordering them TOGETHER they must complete the bundle with Broadband otherwise they cannot charge for the line install ( about €120) bit because you have a receipt to say you ordered both ...meaning a line that is capable of Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i'm not sure so correct me if i'm wrong but surely just cause ya ordered it together doesnt mean they wont charge, thats like sayin i order a set of alloys and tyres and tell them they cant charge for the tyres cos i ordered them together

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dude , correct analogy time.

You ordered a set of alloys with tyres ON them. They cannot sell you the fuggin alloys and then say the cannot fit the fuggin tyres on them afterwards ...surely !!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    First, get your parents to check the next bill to see whether they have been charged for the engineers time. l.

no they didn't i have the bill for July here.

anyone know about the ports in the exchange?
    could it have been plugged into a port that wasn't enabled or something?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

John mac wrote: »
    no they didn't i have the bill for July here.

anyone know about the ports in the exchange?
    could it have been plugged into a port that wasn't enabled or something?:confused:

Nobody here can answer that question for you unfortunately.

Why not write to the Chief Executive of Eircom detailing what you described in your initial post. Emphasise that your aging parents are very anxious to get it etc etc especially as neighbours have it and that they were very disappointed with the inconclusive response from Eircom.

It can be amazing what a letter to a chief executive can do. Nothing much to be lost by it except the cost of a stamp!

Rex Comb CEO
    Eircom
    Ardilaun House
    St Stephen's Green West
    Dublin 2

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your local exchange is fully enabled, however maybe there's no spare compacity at the local exchange and thats what the mean, otherwise perhaps your line takes a different route to that of your neighbours but this is unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

well just to update this
    2 weeks ago a letter was sent to Rex.
    the next day the same Mr Comb was on the phone to say he would look into it.
    today Broadband is working.

Yep it pays to write a letter .
    :D

Advertisement