Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to learn Java. What editor can I use?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I want to get back into java again. I started a basic course a good few years ago. I forget most of it know but I want to get back into it. I can't remember what editor and compiler I used to use. But it showed syntax errors by changing text colour etc... There was a compiler built into the application and you could run the java code from the application too once it was compiled. It was on windows but I'm looking for a similiar program for mac os x leopard. Anybody know one? I tried JJ Edit but it wouldn't run.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aoraki

Howya Quadleo,
    the two that come to mind straight away are Eclipse and NetBeans. Have used both in a work environment, and both are excellent. Of those two, if I was to lean towards one or the other I'd probably go with Eclipse, but that's purely personal preference. Other people swear by Netbeans. Both are available for Mac OS X. I've also heard good things about ItelliJ IDEA, which to my eternal shame I have not gotten around to checking out yet. But might be worth a oul gander.

If you want to go the "purist" route, you can download Textpad ;).

Best of luck with it either way

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my flavour of choice when it comes to coding in java (bear in mind i only done java for 4 months) was to install the JVM and use textpad which had syntax hightlighting and a simple compile java and run java menu options.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Thanks. I'll check them out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

JEdit is also very good text editor with java syntax highlighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭TheGreatest

I can recommend the JCreator, once you get the foundation refreshed then you can move to NetBeans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Vote for Eclipse here. Although if starting off you should at least learn how do it manually like notepad/javac/etc.

While IDEs are great they teach you bad habits early on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

Purely as a learning tool, I would recommend BlueJ (http://www.bluej.org/). It's a good way to get comfortable with OO and saves you getting bogged down with finacy things in the inital stages of learning Java. After getting comfortable on this you should be able to move on to Eclipse, NetBeans or similar without much of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Hobbes wrote: »
    Vote for Eclipse here. Although if starting off you should at least learn how do it manually like notepad/javac/etc.

I second this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Hobbes wrote: »

thirded. Textpad to get used to things and then move onto eclipse later. Eclipse is the best tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

fourth vote for eclipse, using it a long time now and its shortcuts are great. although if you start from basics with a full IDE you will end up missing some ideas that are done for in the background for you, eg compiling classes into bytecode, that type of thing..

also agree with the bluej comment, especially as a way of getting used to core concepts of objects, methods, etc and how they interact with each other.

• Advertisement

Afuera wrote: »
    Purely as a learning tool, I would recommend BlueJ (http://www.bluej.org/).

I had a look at the site and this looks really great. However I have tried it on 4 machines now and all it does is crash after 20-30 seconds. Mentions having to disable firewall, which I did for testing and it still crashes.

Will try it again when it becomes stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

i used bluej in college when i was learning in first year. Tbh i didnt like it at the time and just used an editor like kate on unix. It wasnt for me, that doesnt mean it isnt good as i'd say i wasnt taught how to use it properly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

I spent 3 years in college doing Jave and never used an IDE.

Microsoft Notepad is where it's at... I ought not to have a degree...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I spent 3 years in college doing Jave and never used an IDE.

Microsoft Notepad is where it's at... I ought not to have a degree...

While I can see an advantage to this, in that it teaches people what goes on under the bonnet, there's also an advantage to teaching people how to use at least on of the more popular IDEs out there. I don't know of any companies who don't use an IDE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Whilst text editors are great if you're purely writing code; IDEs are invaluable when building and testing an application. Especially an application that consists of more than a couple of source files.

I guess there's two main approaches a beginner can take;
    a) A text editor which will possibly encourage you to learn many of the common methods and classes you'll be using or;
    b) An IDE which offers code completion and syntax highlighting so you can spot your mistakes before you go ahead and try and compile and run something. Possibly at the expense of retaining syntax rules and common method calls in memory.

Personally I think the IDE approach is far more forgiving and far less likely to aggravate someone who's trying to learn the language.

In terms of my recommendation; I love IntelliJ IDEA but unfortunately it requires a license and it isn't cheap. Eclipse is good too though; so definitely give it a go.

ronivek wrote: »
    Personally I think the IDE approach is far more forgiving and far less likely to aggravate someone who's trying to learn the language.

The difference between using a language, and learning a language.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I haven't written Java for a while, but I'd plus one Eclipse based on past experience. Netbeans I didn't find so user friendly but it has probably improved in the meantime.

Advertisement