Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

continuing phd student

• 28-07-2008 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, I am going to be going into my 2nd year of an integrated masters/phd program and was wondering if i am eligible for a mature student grant. I am over 23 and have been living independently for over a year and a half so there should be no problem there. The only problem i can see is that because it is my second year the council wont allow it. Does anyone know if i am eligible for a grant considering it will be my 1st year on the phd register having completed the masters section of the course?

Comments

Hi, I am going to be going into my 2nd year of an integrated masters/phd program and was wondering if i am eligible for a mature student grant. I am over 23 and have been living independently for over a year and a half so there should be no problem there. The only problem i can see is that because it is my second year the council wont allow it. Does anyone know if i am eligible for a grant considering it will be my 1st year on the phd register having completed the masters section of the course?

Hi Betamax Bandit,

There's no problem with applying in second year. The only thing is that you will be assessed on when you entered college (so at the masters, assuming there was a gap in between your undergraduate and postgraduate). You've to be over 23 on the 1st of January in the year you first start the course too.

Keep in mind that you can get fees for postgraduates for only 4 years, and I'm unsure whether or not that will mean you can only have from 1st to 4th year with your fees paid (and grant), or from 2nd to 5th year (etc.) so it might be worth getting clarification on this from the Council.

Also remember that there's the Student Assistance Fund available in every college which might be helpful if times get tight during college. You mightn't need it, but it's worth remembering just in case.

Dónal / Myth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Betamax Bandit

Thanks for the advice! I think the problem will be that i was under 23 on the 1st of January of my 1st year in the combined masters/phd. I will be on my 1st year of the phd this coming year but as it is a combined course i'm not sure this will qualify me for a grant. Is there any way around this or am I out of luck?

Hrm, I don't believe there are ways around it. You will be assessed on your parents' income if you were under 23 on the 1st of January in the year you started, so you might be under the limit with your income combined.

The limit would go up depending on how many 'dependent' kids your parents have though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Betamax Bandit

That's what i thought... disaster! Thanks for the help though!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭healyron

That's what i thought... disaster! Thanks for the help though!

Hi

I am not sure if it is too late for you, or if decisions have been made accordingly, but from what I know (from personal experience) you can have a letter written by your parents that categorically states that they provided you with no financial assistance whatsoever in the particular year in question. The VEC's, from my experience, are very open-minded when it comes to being flexible. Other Grant authorities might be different. Also, don't forget to apply for the TopUp Grant if you do qualify for the other grant

Ron, IrishUnsigned.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement