Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Ideas regarding Fuel Consumption?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Well we drive 4x4s and we all know they wouldnt be too far off a breed of alcoholic:rolleyes: but im just wondering what have ye done to save on your usage of fuel? i.e the way you drive, mods etc... My 07 L200 is killing me, im about to start college and friday evening i filled up and had to fill again saturday night (€94) and yesterday managed to go through half a tank again:(

i read about tuning boxes that help with fuel economy, anyone have any experience??

i bought a Jetex performance air filter before which promised better fuel economy but that brought it down to 20 mpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Sweet Jehovah, what sort of mileage are you doing?!

i'm not a 4x4 driver yet (getting my new Pajero this Thursday) but simple things to try would be:
    • Slow Down
    • Check tyre pressures and make sure they're nice and hard
    • Don't use your aircon / fan all the time
    • Same goes for radio, turn the volume down
    • Brake slowly. Swift acceleration and hard braking are the biggest gas guzzlers
    • Don't carry unnecessary items. The lighter the car, the better
    Small modifications of your driving behaviour combined with some of the above should see a noticeable improvement in your fuel econ. i drive a heavy and underpowered 2 litre PETROL van and have really noticed the pinch with the inflated petrol prices lately. A full tank (78 litres) costs well over €100 now and it really makes me think when i take a trip, is it absolutely necessary? Before i would just hop in and drive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Do you have roof lights on a roll bar? This will affect mpg. Also the lack of a cover over the pickup bed will affect your consumption. If you have offroad tires you will suffer due to increased rolling resistence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

When my pajero sport got too thirsty I got rid. terrano is twice as economical, down side is that pretty much everything else is worse.
    If you have the turbo then tuning might be an option, its something I dont have any experience of so maybe somebody else here can shed some light, but I heard that it can increase power or fuel effeciency.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

The thirst of the Mitsubishi strikes again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Ugh! Wish people would stop saying that :( i hope my new Pajero won't be a heavy drinker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

This time it IS experience, but it was a 00 pajero sport. there are some claiming 32MPG from the 3.2 while others are claiming 20 - 25 from the same machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Slig wrote: »
    This time it IS experience, but it was a 00 pajero sport. there are some claiming 32MPG from the 3.2 while others are claiming 20 - 25 from the same machine

Yeah, I'm claiming that (32mpg). All motorway miles though. When I'm out doing fieldwork, its about 25mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

thanks for the replies lads

well thought i was doing 20mpg but been taking note for the last few days and it seems im doing 9.3mpg:eek::eek::confused: something surely isnt right....

Advertisement