Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet Suit Help

Options
  • 28-07-2008 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum/area to post this but i know people wear wet suits for surfing so you might be able to help me...

Anyway, im in the market for a wetsuit but haven't the first clue as to what i need or what to look for! Can anyone help me? :confused:

It will be for using at various different types of lake based watersports...

Im a pretty cold creature in general so probably will want the 'warmest' or even more appropriatly, the least cold version :P

Im female, are there different shape suits for men and women? What size would i take? (Im 5ft 8 and size 12 dress size) I think i want the full length version as, if im any good at it i might continue on into the autumn months...

Where are the best places to get these and what sort of money should i expect to spend for a good value wet suit?

Thanks for the help in advance :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Im a pretty cold creature in general so probably will want the 'warmest' or even more appropriatly, the least cold version :P

5/3 MM is the minimum you would want to go for in Irelands climate anyway. :D

Im female, are there different shape suits for men and women?

There are indeed, a womens wetsuit gives you more room in the breast and hip area in general but its not uncommon to see a woman wearing a mans suit either. Best to go for the womans though, better fit = warmer.

What size would i take? (Im 5ft 8 and size 12 dress size)

Best to og ot a surf shop and try on a few brands and see what fits best, its like brand name shopping, a lot are listed as the same size but fit differently.

I think i want the full length version as, if im any good at it i might continue on into the autumn months...

Definitely go for the full one, lake temps drop so low in the winter its not even funny. I thought I was going to die of the cold wakeboarding in the middle of last winter (in full surfing gear).

Where are the best places to get these

If your not in a rush then buy online and you can save a few quid. Just make sure you try on the exact wetsuit you want to buy online in a shop for sizing info first.

and what sort of money should i expect to spend for a good value wet suit?

Depends, more expensive suits can last longer (debatable really :D) and can have a better fit.

The one thing to remember though is lakes are much, much colder than the sea.

Also booties can be good for kayaking and the like but dont try to wear them wakeboarding (I shredded my favorite pain in a set of bindings).

What sort of sports are you looking into and others may be able to best advise ?

(Sorry if that was a bit rushed, rushing to finish work, any questions/contradictions ask away)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I would be water skiing, wake boarding, kneel boarding, doghnutting... that kind of thing. Anything you can tow behind a boat really! I haven't tried any of it yet but my fella bought a boat recently and took to it like a duck to water. He and a few friends have all the gear so i intend on having a stab at most things, might as well! The only investment i need to make is in the wet suit so im lucky in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭SnowMonkey

as regards womens suits

O neil is widder on the hips then rip curl and tends to be a little bit biger all around where as a rip curl one will be tighter to some people and fit better..
    Alder tend to be a tighter fit then rip curl. but depending on the wet suit to the most important thing is that you feel comfortable in it. and have no bagy bits of neo pream any where also when your putting one on just fore siseing pull it right up to your groin area because bye simly not having it tight there the rest of the wetsuit may not fit...

Advertisement