Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of this?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hey there, I have managed to get some money together to buy a new gaming PC, here is what I've got so far:

Antec Nine Hundred black miditower,
    Corsair Powersupply 550W Bulk, black,
    Asus M2N-SLI, nForce 560 SLI, DDR2,
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 3.2GHz Socket
    A-DATA DDR2 PC5300 4096MB CL5
    XFX GeForce 8500GT 450M 1GB DDR2
    XFX GeForce 8500GT 450M 1GB DDR2
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2
    Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7200A,
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Eng
    PC box

What do you think of it? Are the Gfx cards ok, never Slied before and would 2 gig Gfx memory last me a good bit into the future, please point out any mistakes I've made, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The 8500gt is a pathetically poor card, even in SLi it would be crap. The 1gb of memory is just a marketing ploy to catch uninformed people of gaurd. You could get one HD 3870 for the price of two 8500gt's and it would be much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Would a single GeForce 9600GT 512MB be better than the 8500GT Sli?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

lol5605 wrote: »
    Would a single GeForce 9600GT 512MB be better than the 8500GT Sli?

Yes by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Once again, as with everything here.. tell us your budget.. one of the guys can probably spec a machine twice as fast as that for the same price..

jonny72 wrote: »
    Once again, as with everything here.. tell us your budget.. one of the guys can probably spec a machine twice as fast as that for the same price..

It's about 500-600, could maybe push 700.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It's about 500-600, could maybe push 700.

Check out one of the 20 or more threads here where people are asking the same think with similar budgets.

One last question witch is a bit off topic, is it true that overclockers.co.uk is in Jersey, the island were you don't have to pay tax? and if so do you have to pay the tax from overclockers? thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

One last question witch is a bit off topic, is it true that overclockers.co.uk is in Jersey, the island were you don't have to pay tax? and if so do you have to pay the tax from overclockers? thanks.

Nope, its in Stoke-on-Trent
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/contact.php

Ive managed to put this together from overclockers, including vat and converted the prince into euro its 530 euro, specs are:

Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 SLi Compliant PSU

NZXT Alpha Classic Series Silent Midi-Tower CaseAMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00GHz (Socket AM2) - Retail
    OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK)
    Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 250GB ATA-133 8MB Cache - OEM (0A33408)
    Gainward GeForce 9600 GT "Golden Sample" 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort (PCI-Express) - Retail (9115)

This is my fist build and there just a few things that I am wondering, do I need to buy cables or do they come with the motherboard?

Edit: Could someone also recomend a fan for the processer too, thanks.

Thanks alot.

Dont use overclockers. They are a complete farce. They will also charge you in excess of 40£ for delivery just for a graphics card and motherboard. For what your going to order expect to pay another 100€ ontop for delivery. Also dont bother going with amd hardware, its not upto the job at all.

Lol5605 Please take the time to read the other threads in this forum so you wont end up buying a load of crap. And it might be no hard for you to do some research yoruself so you know what yoru buying.

• Advertisement

Actuly the shipping for all the items is £10.95, I know of many people using overclockers hassle free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Actuly the shipping for all the items is £10.95, I know of many people using overclockers hassle free.

They obviously kno more than those of us on boards.ie :D

No honestly, this comes up once a week, OCUK change the VAT rate at checkout to 21% once you change the shipping address to IRL. They also charge UK£40 just to ship here, which they sneak in at checkout also. Forget about them. I have dealt with them a few times but not for a long time because of this. I now deal with www3.hardwareversand.de, much better prices, €30 shipping per delivery and an excellent returns service

Edit, Anti's right, bad choice to go with AMD at the moment, have a read of a few build threads round this forum and you'll see

Strange, i just added it all together hit checkout and they want 65£ shipping thats almost 100€. If you dont want to listen to people who have used all the main sites in europe go and ask on another forum.

Anti wrote: »
    Strange, i just added it all together hit checkout and they want 65£ shipping thats almost 100€. If you dont want to listen to people who have used all the main sites in europe go and ask on another forum.

I used the PC builder option if you go here you can see it http://www.overclockers.co.uk/syscon_category.php?groupid=43&catid=1077 and added the stuff to it, Gfx card is seprate asthe best one is a 8600. even if I'm changed for double shipping it will work out cheaper then Komplete.

then imagine how much mroe expensive it will work out if you had of used www.hardwareversand.de

Ok, I've taking some time to go over all my stuff and other sites ect, and realized I did not know half of what I though I did so I checked out the hardwareversand.de site because I had never really looked deep into it and it's well cheap anyway with the help of the building a budget PC thread I put some stuff together and it worked out at 485euro! heres the stuff here, is it all good?

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Tray 2048Kb, LGA775, 64bit
    Club3D 9600GT, 512MB, NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT
    PCI Case Zirco silber, ATX, ohne Netzteil
    Excelstore ESJ9250C 250GB IDE
    2048MB-Kit OCZ DDR2 PC2-8000 Platinum Dual Channel, CL5
    MSI P7N SLI Platinum Sockel 775 nForce750i SLI, ATX (hope to get 2nd card when I have more money)
    LG GH22NP20 schwarz bare
    ATX-Netzteil AXP Simple Power 630W
    Scythe Ninja Mini Sockel

This is the 1st time I'll ever put all the the bits together myself.Do I get all the wires I'll need with the stuff I but like for example the wire from mother board to HD?
    I know there is 100 more threads like this but I'd feel more confident buying the bits once some has confirmed there ok.
    And is the shipping form site 30 euro for everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Sli 9600gt doesnt make sense anymore when you can get Ati Hd4850 for €130.Im not sure that psu would be strong anyway, which adds to the cost again.

Your build looks ok, but I would change a few things.Like the cpu, motherboard, psu etc.

lro37o1fhiuw2mtyvi.jpg

Its a little bit more expensive, but its a far better pc.

Motherboard is absolutely class, psu is the best in the business, case has good cooling for its price and its fast.Cpu is a nice bit faster than one you picked and so is the graphics card.

You can go Crossfire with that mobo too.

Advertisement