Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what the hell this is?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 4:08pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Landed on my keyboard a while ago. Never managed to find out what it was.
    Anyone seen anything like it before in this country. Scared the bejesus out of myself and the girlfriend!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

my god its huge:eek:
    what is it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

thats a horrible looking yoke...... worst then me the morning after a heavy session!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Might be better over in Nature and Birdwatching, but I reckon it's probably some kind of Hawk Moth going by the size. There's a guy over in that forum called MothMan who'll know the answer in a flash (although he's not been around a lot recently).

EDIT: Looks like it might be this guy going by the pink colouring on his body

http://tpittaway.tripod.com/sphinx/s_lig.htm

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1669

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Yup definitely a Hawk Moth. Had one fly in my bedroom window one time, was pretty scarey up close and absolutely huge.

The cat had a great time :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Would a mod be able to move this to nature and birdwathing for me. Sorry I didnt come across that forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I'm afraid to open the attachment, shame on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I've seen loads of insects I only ever seen in the country as a kid up in Dublin over the last year or two and lots I couldn't identify as well, seems to be our new climate as well as all the imported goods coming into the country! There seems to be a lot of grass hoppers and bettles some are lovely it might help the bird population to have something else to eat on the other hand something has to give to let them populate ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Ì want one!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Thanks Alun looks very similar alright. Quite scary when you've never seen 1 before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

It looks to be a Convolvulus Hawk Moth (Agrius convolvuli)
    Here's a photo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

If that came anywhere near me I would scream my head off. I'm afraid of butterflies or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

My cats want to know if you kept it? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stiktoir

It's a Pomeranian cannibal moth (Sphinx cannibalis). They enter the brains of their victims through the ear canal where they then lay their eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

stiktoir wrote: »
    It's a Pomeranian cannibal moth (Sphinx cannibalis). They enter the brains of their victims through the ear canal where they then lay their eggs.

Cool!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Had one of these fly into our work on saturday night

Havoc ensued

Advertisement