Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire at Paddy Browns road bus stop

• 28-07-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭

Just going down paddy browns road about 45 minutes ago and there were 2 fire engines at the bus stop outside the shopping centre and a couple of the firemen were putting out something with fire extinguishers and there was smoke coming from something on the ground under the canopy.

I was just rubber necking so thats really as much as I know about, I was wondering if anyone saw what happened before that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

2 fire tenders for a bus shelter?

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mike65 wrote: »
    2 fire tenders for a bus shelter?

Mike.

I think for any fire is standard two fire trucks arrive.

It must have been a while ago cause I heard the fire engine rush up the road outside the college but didnt take much notice as its a busy stretch for emergency services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I passed by there about 3.25 and there was definitely 2 fire tenders but they didn't have the hoses out or anything, just hand held fire extinguishers so it may not have been anything too big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

there was 2 fire trucks in lisduggan at 3.30 for a fire in an abandon house, they might have just being on the way back and spotted a fire at the stop or something.. cos its only down the road from were the fire was

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The advertising screen at the side of the shelter somehow caught fire. You can see burn marks and red tape surrounding it. Either an electrical fault (most likely) or vandalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Sully wrote: »
    The advertising screen at the side of the shelter somehow caught fire. You can see burn marks and red tape surrounding it. Either an electrical fault (most likely) or vandalism.

vandalism, sadly id say this is the truth, its amazing people (well by that i mean scumbags) have an incredible lack of civic spirit.

I take pride on where i come from and it amazing people from the same city/country just generally go around destroying services/places for the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Two Appliances At the junction between hennessys road and matties hill at 4pm too. must've been a car accident coz they have that green absorbant spread all over the road.

I thought everyone had camera phones now...is there no pics? not that a bus shelter on fire is interesting :p....but incase anything happens remember your poor mates on boards...we want to see too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Typhoon. wrote: »
    Two Appliances At the junction between hennessys road and matties hill at 4pm too. must've been a car accident coz they have that green absorbant spread all over the road.

I thought everyone had camera phones now...is there no pics? not that a bus shelter on fire is interesting :p....but incase anything happens remember your poor mates on boards...we want to see too

was on me way to work lad otherwise I would've hung around to have a gawk and take some pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

just to fill ye in lads the fire at the bus shelter on paddy brownes road was an electrical fault not vandalisim and the fire in lisduggan was some rubbish up against the side of a derelict house and subsequently caused minor damage to the house and the incident on matties hill/ hennessys road was just a minor oil spill. not the aftermath of a car accident.. and we mostly travel with 2 water tenders to fires as each appliance carries 400 gallons of water and its better to be looking at it than looking for it as we dont ever know how large an incident is going to be until we arrive so thats why we bring 2 and sometimes meaby 4 depends on the info supplied by the caller.... any more questions????

portlairge wrote: »
    just to fill ye in lads the fire at the bus shelter on paddy brownes road was an electrical fault not vandalisim and the fire in lisduggan was some rubbish up against the side of a derelict house and subsequently caused minor damage to the house and the incident on matties hill/ hennessys road was just a minor oil spill. not the aftermath of a car accident.. and we mostly travel with 2 water tenders to fires as each appliance carries 400 gallons of water and its better to be looking at it than looking for it as we dont ever know how large an incident is going to be until we arrive so thats why we bring 2 and sometimes meaby 4 depends on the info supplied by the caller.... any more questions????

Thought as much. The green stuff is anti-skid/slip isnt it? Used mainly for oil spillages?

Helpful as always port, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

its not really anti skid/slip its just an absorbant as oil breaks up the road it seperates the tar from the stone thus causing those dreaded pot holes...

portlairge wrote: »
    its not really anti skid/slip its just an absorbant as oil breaks up the road it seperates the tar from the stone thus causing those dreaded pot holes...

Ah, I thought it was put down to prevent skidding when cars touched it! Didnt know about the breaking up of tar. Sound :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

portlairge, thanks for the informative posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

got to see the damage on the lisduggan house.... some serious burn there, thank god it was abandoned..

Advertisement