Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Picking up UK car tomorrow...

Options
  • 28-07-2008 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

I've checked it again and again but importing gurus please confirm...just to put my mind at rest.

Car first registered Jan 25th 2008
    Co2 144

No VAT - Just over 6 months old
    Annual road tax will be €290 per year
    as will VRT ay 20%

Am I right?

I can hear the screams, NOT AGAIN!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

no vat as long as the car has done over 6 months(which it is) and 6000 miles/10000km.

If thats the proper Co2 figure then thats your tax rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Have should let us know how you get on and what it was like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

no vat as long as the car has done over 6 months(which it is) and 6000 miles/10000km.

Is it not 6 mths old or less than 6,000kms (KILOMETERS)...???

The car has 5500 MILES on it.

Is it not 6 mths old or less than 6,000kms (KILOMETERS)...???

The car has 5500 MILES on it.

I used work in a garage importing nearly new cars up to last year and it was always 6000 miles. TBH, you'll have most of the extra 500 miles on it by the time you get it back anyway so wouldn't be too worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Jaysus, you gave me a fright Charlie...

From Revenue

New means of transport from other Member States of the EU
    For VAT purposes a new means of transport is a goods or passenger vehicle that meets either one of the two criteria following:

It is a new means of transport if it is a motor vehicle or motor-cycle (other than a tractor) supplied six months or less after the date of its first entry into service.

It is a new means of transport if it is a motor vehicle or motor-cycle (other than a tractor) that has travelled 6,000 kilometres or less.

If the vehicle meets either of these criteria the vehicle is treated as a new means of transport for VAT purposes and VAT is chargeable at registration.

(Note: In this context "entry into service" means registration in another jurisdiction. If not previously registered the vehicle is new.)

Examples
    Vehicle 5 months old with 8,000km - chargeable to VAT

Vehicle 7 months old with 5,000km - chargeable to VAT

Vehicle 7 months old with 8,000km - not chargeable to VAT

• Advertisement

Apologies Stevie,
    My mistake, was going off past experiences, hadn't realised they'd changed the rules in the meantime. nice to know in future though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jaysus, you gave me a fright Charlie...

From Revenue

New means of transport from other Member States of the EU
    For VAT purposes a new means of transport is a goods or passenger vehicle that meets either one of the two criteria following:

It is a new means of transport if it is a motor vehicle or motor-cycle (other than a tractor) supplied six months or less after the date of its first entry into service.

It is a new means of transport if it is a motor vehicle or motor-cycle (other than a tractor) that has travelled 6,000 kilometres or less.

If the vehicle meets either of these criteria the vehicle is treated as a new means of transport for VAT purposes and VAT is chargeable at registration.

(Note: In this context "entry into service" means registration in another jurisdiction. If not previously registered the vehicle is new.)

Examples
    Vehicle 5 months old with 8,000km - chargeable to VAT

Vehicle 7 months old with 5,000km - chargeable to VAT

Vehicle 7 months old with 8,000km - not chargeable to VAT

I'd print out this page from their website to be safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I know someone who recently (2nd July 2008) went to clear their 2nd February 2008 registered 535d & the revenue person tried to charge them VAT, the car had 6,000 miles. After a bit of hair splitting debate the VAT was waived. That would have been a big land!!!

Advertisement