Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing your own house alarm?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I recently bought a newly built house which is wired for alarm and I got a quote for €1450 to get one fitted. It's my first house. I've never had any dealings with alarms before. The quote covered 17 windows, 3 doors and a text dialler (which I have since decided is pants). 2 panic buttons, keypad, control panel + backup battery, 2 PIR's a dummy box and the strobe box jobby.

This seems like an insane price to me, anyone else? :eek:

It got me thinking that I should really just install it myself. I'm sure I could manage it. Does anyone know a link for a good site for the parts or perhaps someone could pm me with a price or phone number of a company who could sell me the same.

I'm kinda hoping I can do it myself and then pay someone to check it out for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

there are plenty of places to get kits, even the yale ones provide some level of protection. however you need to use a certified installer to get a cert. The Cert covers the installation of the alarm.

Woodies have the Yale ones, you could shop around to get better prices. If you've never installed an alarm before a wired one might be a bit of a jump, I have no idea who would want to fix up someone elses alarm, it can sometimes be quicker to start from the top. So maybe a wireless unit would suit you better.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+500001+1002982&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=alarm&Ntx=

these are some complete kits. Note you will get them at better prices, I'm not pushing CPC, just its a handy site for getting examples from. There was another site, www.diyhomealarms.com or something like that , an irish guy ran it. but i cant find the correct url.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Seems about right for HKC with text dialler. Sounds like a fairly big house. When you say 17 windows is that 17 openings??

Stay away from the DIY stuff its a rip off & it will break your heart in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yeah the above post is spot on, I should have noted that the cost was decent enough and that DIY alarms are a curse I just thought that the wireless ones were the lesser of two evils, and i think some insurance companies have a deal recognizing the Yale ones??? is that correct?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Insurance companies only recognise systems to EN50131 & installed by PSA licenced companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I think the price is fair enough, if the work is done to a good standard.
    a text dialler (which I have since decided is pants).
    I think the text diallers are great!

If you have electrical experience and are technically minded by all means give it a go! But it is not as easy as you think! It takes a couple to really get the hang of it.
    Woodies have the Yale ones, you could shop around to get better prices
    I would not go near these. I would go for HKC (best), Aritech or Astec(easiest to install). These unlike the Yale are made to EN50131
    Insurance companies only recognise systems to EN50131 & installed by PSA licenced companies.

I would advise people not to inform an insurance company that you have an alarm system to avail of a discount. The reason for this is that insurance cover is null and void if you forget to turn your alarm on and you get broken into! I dont think that the small discount on the premium is worth that risk!

Good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭limbovski

Thanks for all the info so far guys.

Yep 17 windows means 17 openings.

Ouch I can't believe that's a good price :(. I've been asking a few people and most of them say their respective alarms cost much less. But if you think it is, then fair enough.

I have zero electrical experience. I think I'll still do it myself and I'll get an electrician mate to help me.

There's no phone line so can I still get a text dialler?

Would anyone know where I could buy a HKC system?

limbovski wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info so far guys.

Yep 17 windows means 17 openings.

Ouch I can't believe that's a good price :(. I've been asking a few people and most of them say their respective alarms cost much less. But if you think it is, then fair enough.

I have zero electrical experience. I think I'll still do it myself and I'll get an electrician mate to help me.

There's no phone line so can I still get a text dialler?

Would anyone know where I could buy a HKC system?
    Most people who say thier alarmwas less probobly got it a good few years ago
    If you are paying that electrician to help you , you & him are breaking the law unless he is licenced by the PSA
    If you have no phone line you can use a text dialler with a D2M unit available from most suppliers . Costs between €300 -€400
    All good suppliers stock HKC

If you are paying that electrician to help you , you & him are breaking the law unless he is licenced by the PSA
    This is not correct. You are allowed to install an alarm in your own house without being a member of the PSA. An electrician that is not a member of the PSA is not allowed to install an alarm in your house for a fee.
    But this electrician is allowed to first fix the alarm for you and charge for this and provide free "advice" on 2nd fixing of the alarm.

I rang the PSA in relation to this in the past, that is how I know. BTW I am not a member of the PSA.

Is that not confirming the quote you posted???

Is that not confirming the quote you posted???

Sorry, yes I see your point. I was thinking of the owner not breaking the law because it is his house and the electrician first fixing. I guess it is now too late for first fix now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement