Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What services should I be looking for from a builder

• 28-07-2008 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi

My wife and I are buying a site to build our first house. We are looking at two options: 1. Buy a site with fpp or buy a site with no planning permission so we can use our own design ideas.

If we go with the first option and decide to buy with fpp what services should we expect from a builder when we start looking. Do they take care of the entire project or should we do it ourselves.

Do any builders provide a full servcie i.e. construction, fit out (kitchens, fireplaces etc.) and landscaping?

Are we better off dealing with the kithcens, interior painting, landscaping etc. ourselves (i.e. getting different contractors)

if we go with the site without planning is it best to get a construction company that covers everything including design and planning.

We are completely naive to all of this so any advice from people who have recently built a house would be most welcome. If you had to do it again what would you do differently with your builders.

All responses much appreciated

Tomo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

kilmoyley wrote: »
    Are we better off dealing with the kithcens, interior painting, landscaping etc. ourselves (i.e. getting different contractors)Tomo
    Short answer is that most contractors wont include those anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

You need a construction professional to prepare designs , construction information , seek competitive tenders from several builders , administer the building contract and certify the works when they are completed .

The builder just builds . And tries to make as much €€€'s as he can out of that ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

A very comprehensive contract and detailed drawings and specifications could be used to include kitchen, interior colours and landscaping.

You could "nominate" a specific Company, Sub-contractor, paint brand / colour, Landscaper etc in this contract.

Buying with FPP or applying for FPP is up to the individual. There are some nice sites available, with nice house designs.

Design and build may not be a great idea.

You will find lots of useful info in the treads on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Bear in mind that if you buy a site with FPP, it's not like it's cast in stone. You can lob in as many PPs as you like(or can afford!) within the 5 year limit of the orginal PP. Probably best to make any site purchase subject to planning approval for a house design that suits you, not just some generic PP designed to achieve max sq. footage.
    The other thing is that no matter what route you take ultimately unless you are happy with a bog standard house, you will have decide everything. Remember that none of these people are mindreaders, so they will always understandably, specify the cheapest unless told otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kilmoyley

Thanks for the info

We had noticed that some construction firms offer to prepare plans and submit for planning. Is this a goo didea or should we use an independent architect do take care of our design and planning??

Looks like from the replies that we will be managing this project ourselves.....better start learning asap:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Looks like from the replies that we will be managing this project ourselves.....better start learning asap:)

LOL, I am about to start managing my own project as well. Its daunting but fun at the same time. I am not making to many demands of the project time so moving in within 18 months is my goal.

My engineer will be my advice and guidance as well as some buddies in the commercial building trade. My engineer also prepared my planning application but I submitted them.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kilmoyley

Cheers for that leadership

Can peopel direct me to good threads on boards re builders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Cheers for that leadership

Can peopel direct me to good threads on boards re builders

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231996&highlight=detailed

Advertisement