Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Geometry Wars 2

• 28-07-2008 4:56pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone looking forward to this during the week? I have to say I cant wait as it seems Geometry wars is the only game Ive been playing recently.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Yes - I'm dying to play. One of the very few XBLA games I'm prepared to buy without checking the demo first.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Only thing I'm disappointed by is the lack of online multiplayer.It'll still be brilliant though.

I guess there is way too much stuff flying around onscreen for it to work online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Yeah can't wait for this. Waves in PGR4 was a nice taste but more like a (very early) preview than a sequel. I love the competitive aspect of this, myself and a mate kept texting high-scores to each other "There can only be one!" :D Looking forward to a return to the rivalry (it stopped when his web got screwed up. It doesn't save high scores if you're not playing & online).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

I was looking forward to this, I guess now I'll be looking forward to it in two to three weeks :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,797 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

someday i'll beat SmellyIrishMans score at the first game. i'll have to get in a high score in Geometry Wars 2 pretty quick so I can gloat for a while.

At least no one has come near my Ikaruga one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Eurogamer gave it 9

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

I love it. New game modes are great, graphics are even more colourfull and intense, and the highscores are better integrated. Even the achievements seem to be better thought out.

whitetrash wrote: »
    I love it. New game modes are great, graphics are even more colourfull and intense, and the highscores are better integrated. Even the achievements seem to be better thought out.

I agree. Plus its as hard as it ever was. Couple of new enemies and the old ones look different and nicer too. The achievements seem achievable this time round. Less "become a god at the game" than the first ones were. More like the Pacifism achievement, a bunch of miniature challenges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    someday i'll beat SmellyIrishMans score at the first game. i'll have to get in a high score in Geometry Wars 2 pretty quick so I can gloat for a while.

Someday I'll beat my high score! :pac: Can't wait for the 2nd, might encourage me to go back and finally get the rest of (or the majority of) the achievements for the 1st. Been so close a few times. I'll give you 2 weeks head start Retro :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

**** it I might need to bring the 40" bravia up to cork for this - it's weird how the little simple games make me crave 1080p nyom nyom nyom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

What's your score Smelly Irish Man? Any tips?

I pulled out Geometry Wars last night in anticipation. I'd forgotten I bad I am at it. The only achievement I've got is the get 100,000 points one.

1,600,000+

Hmm, tips;

#1; Practice! :D

#2; Learn the properties of each "shape". Windmills just wander slowly. Blues come for you and get faster the longer you leave them etc...

#3; Know the common spawns and how to deal with them. Warp hole in each corner with some units. Tons of enemies flooding from each corner etc...

#4; Circles. Move in big sweeping circles for the most part.

#5; Try not to cry when surrounded by snakes, or when you you hear the tac spawn. :)

#6; Refrain from smashing everything in sight when you're insta-killed by a spawning snake.

There are good guides out there that will give you general tips and tips on dealing with each specific enemy and spawn. Most of it will come down to practice, familiarity and a sprinkling of luck.

Wow - it looks gorgeous and the achivements are pretty easy.

Sorry Retro, couldn't wait two weeks!

This is fantastic, what a game! Some of the new shapes are cool (triangles and gates) and the new modes are excellent. I dunno if I'm mad about the geom things from the DS version and I'm extra unsure about holding onto them after you die, although maybe that's just the sadist in me.

We need more people on the leaderboards please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Sweet, class game! I love the new game modes! I can see this being played a lot for the next while. Probably the best Arcade title so far!

It's really, really bright and colourful! kinda hypnotic.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just spent almost an hour on Pacifism. How the #£$% did SmellyIrishMan get over 10,000,000? :)

Brilliant game, and I love how the leaderboards work. Gives you that extra incentive to play just one more game. And one more. And one more. And one more.

SmellyIrishMan is a freak, but tman is catchable. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Its savage i think my favorite is the mode with the shields!

One thing i dont like is that your weapon dosent seem to change any more? or is that something im wrong about?

Spent ages trying to get the wax on / wax off achievement last night. Keep coming so frustratingly close!

Anyone who wants an extra name on their high score board can add me.

I played the demo last night. Great stuff. I'll be buying this over the weekend. Feel free to add me for some high-scoring competitiveness.

• Advertisement

whitetrash wrote: »
    Spent ages trying to get the wax on / wax off achievement last night. Keep coming so frustratingly close!

Anyone who wants an extra name on their high score board can add me.

Your King score is like 76th in the world. Tried for ages yesterday to top it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Downloading the game now!!!

Your King score is like 76th in the world. Tried for ages yesterday to top it! :D

It was 23rd when I got it :) Only took an evening to drop 50 places so I doubt it'll be that high for long

I added Silvine, Freaky Drunk & SmellyIrishMan (not sure if this is your actual gamertag) to my friends list to try and beat you all! :)

I'm Latchbones as you can see below!

Anyone else fell free to add me! I love a bit of competition!

I added Silvine, Freaky Drunk & SmellyIrishMan (not sure if this is your actual gamertag) to my friends list to try and beat you all! :)

I added all of those and yourself as well. Think I'll go work on my scores now, just been doing the achievements so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I added all of those and yourself as well. Think I'll go work on my scores now, just been doing the achievements so far!

I've done the exact same, I'm DavexIRL if anyone wants to add me.

Wahey! Let the Geometry Wars wars begin! :)

Great, I'll be picking this game up over the weekend. Bring on the competition. :pac:

Davexirl wrote: »
    I've done the exact same, I'm DavexIRL if anyone wants to add me.

Done and done. And also done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have some of you on my list already and sent invites to the rest.
    Feel free to add HeyHeyAces.

Advertisement