Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Geometry Wars 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Terminator wrote: »
    I think I've peaked in some of the modes - can't beat my old scores even. :(

Ha! I get that feeling sometimes!

I haven't been able to get a good session on it for ages though cos we've had guests since Friday and they don't seem too keen on it! (weirdos!) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Terminator wrote: »
    I think I've peaked in some of the modes - can't beat my old scores even. :(

I was getting that feeling yesterday as well and then all of a sudden 83 mil in pacifism, about 50 mil better than my previous score :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Yeah you need to have zero distractions.

That's a great score Mika! :eek:

Article up on Eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=211861

Looks like it's gonna be around for some time to come!

Good I say! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Anyone got the wax off achievement yet? I've only got wax on but tonight could be the night!

This guy had a great spawn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaecDLELc7g&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've tried it so many times its ridiculous. You need to be lucky with enemy placement. He made it look easy.

I'm so close to Smile too. I've been trying for an hour a night to get that bloody achievement, and I'm really really really close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

Don't know if everyone's noticed yet but the official leaderboard is up and running.

http://www.bizarrecreations.com/games/geometry_wars_retro_evolved_2/

Thanks Sarn, jesus those top scores are insane.

After over two hours a session which ended at 01.30, I finally got wax on, wax off last night. It has officially replaced Half Life's One Bullet achievement as my proudest achievement yet!

Yeah I got it last night too. You need luck with the enemy placement (and a bit of skill towards the end). Took me about 15 mins to get last night (I was lucky).

• Advertisement

What's the game's hardest achievement - Smile?

Yeah I think so... a lot needs to go RIGHT for you to get it, but practice and you'll get it eventually. The hardest part is having a couple of bombs left over for level 20 (which HAS to be passed for Smile)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Would the complete sequence one not be harder since it requires you to complete all 20 levels? Or does it?

Nope, you just need to get to the end of Sequence by any means possible (to see the Game Over screen rather than complete each level). You can timeout or lose on every level if you want as long as you get to the end before you lose all your lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

That last one is bloody hard.....

Mr E wrote: »
    Nope, you just need to get to the end of Sequence by any means possible (to see the Game Over screen rather than complete each level). You can timeout or lose on every level if you want as long as you get to the end before you lose all your lives.

No way! I thought if the time ran out you failed that one!

Nope - just get to the screen where the 20 boxes are showing either passed, failed or timed-out, and the achievement will unlock.
    11. Game Over
    Reach the end of sequence.

It doesn't say without dying, or without timing out. Just get to the end, trust me. :)

It doesn't say without dying, or without timing out. Just get to the end, trust me. :)

Nice! that'll make things ever so slightly easier! :)

A tiny bit easier, yeah... :)
    Then give Smile a go (
    Time out on level 2 and 4, then die on levels 11, 15, 17, 18 and 19
    ).
    ALOT easier said than done.

A tiny bit easier, yeah... :)
    Then give Smile a go (
    Time out on level 2 and 4, then die on levels 11, 15, 17, 18 and 19
    ).
    ALOT easier said than done.

Haven't tried that one yet! i'm afraid!

• Advertisement

Has anyone got Smile? It looks bloody impossible. I'm still struggling to get piece the bit where the rockets come at you from different directions.

Also, any tips for the Treaty achievement on Kings. I can't seem to get past 25 circles.

Great game this - the achievements are really well thought out.

OK, my tips for smile (I haven't got it yet, but I'm close)

1. Easy
    2. Easy (make sure you leave one enemy at the end and let the clock run out)
    3. 3 walls of purples, 1 of greens. Easy (watch your time limit)
    4. Need to time out. I kill the blues first, then move down the screen from mid top to mid bottom to kill the oranges. Loop around and take out the purples and greens with the gates for big points (or just shoot them, leaving one behind)
    5. Simple with practice. 4 waves of oranges that converge on your location. Pick an exit point and get out before they move, shooting at the center the whole time. Mop up the rest.
    6. Purples, greens and some windmills. Move straight to bottom of the screen and use the wall to trap them all. Once you kill the last of them (or with 10 secs to go), a huge number of oranges surround you - shoot straight UP and move straight up while shooting to escape (make sure its straight!) - once through, shoot back down to clean up.
    7. Surrounded by blues. Shoot a gap in the right wall, go through, down, left, shoot a gap in the left wall, and go up and around. Circle strafe around them, or use black holes creatively to get big points.
    8. 8 black holes, lots of blues. Get out of the black holes without shooting, and clean up the blues without shooting the black holes. Then clean up (black holes can get you tons of points if you use them to kill the blues instead - risky!)
    9. Tons of greens. Easy. Kill first 4 and try to be in one corner when you kill them. 200+ more will appear - just move/shoot your way to the opposite corner (the greens will follow and cluster together). Use your first Smart bomb and collect hundreds of geoms.
    10. Tricky. Lots of neutrons and shielded neutrons. Use a bomb when in trouble and mop up the rest. Possible without a bomb, but if you're going for smile, don't take the risk.

Half way there..

11. You have to FAIL this one. Just die at the start. If you want big points - kill the first 4. A blue wave will appear to the top and bottom, and a purple wave to the left and right. Shoot 3 or 4 in the top blue wall to make a gap - go through and move right - loop around in a clockwise semicircle and you get 4 more waves (blues left and right, purples top and bottom). Shoot a gap through the left wall and move up and around. Now STOP SHOOTING. Move around the screen (letting the homing blues and purples follow you) and use your pacifism skills and about 15 gates to clean up (getting 15-20m+ for your efforts). Die at the end before you finish.
    12. Waves and Snakes. Easy when you know how. After the first 4, move to the bottom of the screen. You get 3 waves from the right, 3 from the left, and 3 more from the right. Just shoot the bottom 2 enemies of each wave (shoot right, shoot left, shoot right) and you'll have some breathing room to clear the snakes and waves. Lots of geoms here for brave players!
    13. Greens and Clouds. In the main wave, try and herd the greens into a corner (like 9) and bomb for tons of geoms. Clean up the remaining clouds.
    14. 4 + 32 black holes. Frustrating, because they're so unpredictable. 2 ways of doing this. For the main wave, keep shooting on one axis (taking out 8 individual black holes along the way) then carefully clear up the rest. The other method is not to shoot and move slowly around the screen while they spawn around you. Then clean up afterwards (very unpredicatable though). try not to use a bomb - you should have 3 left now, and you need them for 16 and 20)
    15. Need to FAIL here. (Not hard to fail this one - lots of oranges moving on diagonals)

If you have 3 bombs left here, it should be plain sailing!

16. You need to pass this one. After killing the first batch of 4 windmills, STOP SHOOTING. A bunch of purples and greens will appear. Let them follow you for 5 seconds, and about 50 windmills will appear around you. Use your third last bomb to clear the screen. Be careful though - 2 waves of oranges will appear straight away - shoot a gap through the left wave, and double back to shoot a gap through the right. Then clear up the rest.

17-19: Fail all of these.

20. You should have 2 bombs left. First bomb will take out the neutrons, second for the waves.

And thats it. Like I said earlier, this is easier said than done! Passing 6-10 and 14 is the hardest part. If it all falls into place, you'll get your achievement.... good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ah, you're right, Game Over is quite handy to get. Smile looks like it could get very frustrating! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,797 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I only just got around to getting this game today. From the looks of the leaderboards I've a lot of catching up to do. Oh well, thats a rather excellent excuse to keep playing this wonderful game.

Big thanks to Microsoft for giving me 500 MS points for absolutely nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DjMorphos

Hey guys!

I added all of you to my flist...

Today I finally beated my own highscore in pacifism. 293 mi

=)

I died out of a tiny thing.. I could've made it to 400 mi...

Pacifism is the best mode... highly addictive...

Add my tag for those that want to try to beat me: DjMorphos

Thats a sick score, Dj.... well done.

This Smile achievement is the monkey on my back at the moment... once I get that, I can focus on scores again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just picked this up last night and so far it is proving to be the gaming equivalent of crack cocaine. I wouldn't consider myself as having an addictive personality, but I can see myself playing more and more in order to recieve a bigger high (score). I liked Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved, but the different game modes in this really are sublime.

Damn you wonderful bastards, Bizarre Creations!

Great work on the tips Mr E! :)

Added johnny ultimate & Retr0gamer1337 to my friends list for the leaderboards if that's ok with you guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DjMorphos

Does anyone know a GamerTag of someone that has a higher score in Pacifism than mine? I'm really looking for forward to someone that makes me go back to that mode. It's definitely my favorite mode.

Kudos to bizarre creations for making such an addictive game hehehehe. Must... play... one... more...

Also I got really happy when I red an statement where they say they have ideas for 10 more geometry wars games and that it's definitely a franchise.

Just imagine how Geometry Wars 3 could be. And the whole evolution of the series. Could you imagine perhaps going to full 3d viewpoint?

• Advertisement

I have about 65 on my friends list (most from boards) and you are far out in the lead, Dj.

I don't think 3d would work either....

Advertisement