Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Ka or Nissan Micra?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I'm getting one or the other as my first car.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Micra anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Reasons?
    The quality and elegance of the engineering.
    If ever there was a car which was "fit for purpose" the K11 Micra is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Ka's way more fun and not half as ugly as the Micra (Elegance me arse!). It's a solid well built car with a bigger 1.3 engine so is quite nippy. If it's just you driving it go for the Ka, but if you regularly have passengers the Micra may suit you more in that respect as it is bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Mailman wrote: »
    The quality and elegance of the engineering.
    If ever there was a car which was "fit for purpose" the K11 Micra is it.

"elegance" is not a word i would use to describe either car, however for a small town car id probably go with the micra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I wasn't talking about the look of the car. It's ugly as sin but open the bonnet and you see an engine bay that just looks completely right.

My sister had one and she couldn't kill it.
    She killed the car I gave her a temporary loan of.

It used absolutely no oil or coolant even though she ran it in to the ground.
    There are better cars around but few are better built, Toyota included.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Micra is in the next class up from the Ka and is the same size as the Fiesta.

If you don't need the space, option of 2 extra doors then the Ka is fine for basic city driving. Early 1.3 litre engines are ancient dating back to the early 1960s but they are simple to work on and fix, a nice car to drive but unless you find a rare Ka "luxury" edition they are pretty basic for creature comforts and cramped.

The Micra is a bigger car despite having a smaller 1.0 litre engine, they are pretty reliable and later models are generously equipped for the class.

My choice however would be the Fiesta 1.25 litre which has all the benefits of both cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

My wife currently has a K12 Micra (current model) and previously had a Ka. I preferred the Ka to drive. Having said that, the micra isn't as gutless as you might think and with the exception of having no feel to the steering is fairly capable handling wise.

Advertisement