Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Orwell motors liquidation sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Did anyone buy anything there today? A lot of flash metal on show and prices seemed reasonably keen.
    I was bidding on the 2002 subaru legacy estate which Orwell had priced at €10,995 on the forecourt. Maybe that was an indication of why they went bankrupt, unrealistic prices mean no sales, which mean no cashflow.
    I had the bid at €4900, so the guy I had been bidding against went €5000 which I had set as my limit. I'd probably have gone for it except the auctioneer was looking for a bid of €5200 despite having being going up in increments of €100 for a few bids before that, I know I could have offered €5100 but I kind of took it as a sign that it wasn't to be. I spoke to the winner after and he said €5k was his limit too so another bid would have bought it. I was a little wary of paying any more cos I didn't want to get stuck without being able to shift my old car but murphys law kicked in and I sold that about an hour ago.
    Didn't stay much longer after that as there wasn't much else that met my affordability / practicality criteria.
    Anyone else buy or lose out?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's a lot of car for €5k

I'd love to see a list with the prices the cars sold for. Anyone a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

unkel wrote: »
    That's a lot of car for €5k

I'd love to see a list with the prices the cars sold for. Anyone a link?

Yeah i would love to see that list if there is any?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moleyC

Probably some good deals got there, but don't forget that if you walked into any upmarket dealer like that one, intending to make a cash sale which is what basically was required at the auction, you would get some good deals also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Full Stock List here

Shame that lovely 850 they used to have for a long time wasn't up, it would have gone over most peoples heads being 11 years old and all, I would have gladly taken it off their hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Mickk wrote: »

List here

Shame that lovely 850 they used to have for a long time wasn't up, it would have gone over most peoples heads being 11 years old and all, I would have gladly taken it off their hands...
    He meant a list of prices..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Matt Simis wrote: »
    He meant a list of prices..

Sorry didn't see the original request, I was linking to it after kbannon said "not a list but better than nothing"

Dont think there was brilliant value there by the prices mentioned, the saab, 320d and even the polo are listed at similar prices on carzone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Irish Times have a story on it

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0804/1217628485109.html

some prices listed down the bottom of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 hereNqueer

so true, Unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the cars quoted in the article didn't strike me as being bargains

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

17k for a LHD 2000 boxster S seems pricey tbh. Might sell better in Europe but I wouldn't want to try to sell a 8yr+ 3.2 LHD in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

is there any cars left over there? I need a new car pronto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

colm_mcm wrote: »
    "€45,000 for the 05 BMW 630 Sport"

not a bargain.... are you mad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rambo10

colm_mcm wrote: »

there were no bargains.trust me, i was there and i am i the motor trade, a lot of people got a little bit excited and bid what i would call crazy money on some cars, eg e200 2003 21k! i could get you 10 for 16k in the morning without a warranty which is what they bought, there for sale on the net from 16995 up, many more examples too tired to keep writing, plus 630i was too dear, oct/nov 09 premium cars 4ok plus will represent fantastic value,wait and see.lots of boxsters, clks etc running for cover,finance probs etc....must sell this week blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Orwell is now trading as premierfleet out of the same premises in ballymount and as proof i even seen the guy that was there when it was orwell how is this that they went into liquidation sold off all there stock and now trading as this i thought if you went into liquidation this meant you had no money so your stock had to be sold off to pay the debts

http://www.premierfleet.ie/vehicle/exfleet.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Dubdude wrote: »
    Orwell is now trading as premierfleet out of the same premises in ballymount and as proof i even seen the guy that was there when it was orwell how is this that they went into liquidation sold off all there stock and now trading as this i thought if you went into liquidation this meant you had no money so your stock had to be sold off to pay the debts

http://www.premierfleet.ie/vehicle/exfleet.aspx

I'm not sure if there has ever been any connection between Orwell and Premier Fleet, but Premier Fleet have been going for ages and have been trading out of Ballymount for at least the last year.

(One of our competitors and based very close to one of our customers).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Thanks for that correction R.O.R. !

Dubdude ...be a bit careful with who you accuse of what, ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Well why is it that they are selling a car that orwell were selling a few months back its the 2nd down in the link the VW Golf 2006 i know this for a fact because i took this car for a test drive from orwell as i work beside this place and seen the guy the other day that i was dealing with back then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dubdude wrote: »
    Well why is it that they are selling a car that orwell were selling a few months back its the 2nd down in the link the VW Golf 2006 i know this for a fact because i took this car for a test drive from orwell as i work beside this place and seen the guy the other day that i was dealing with back then!!

That could have a multitude of explanations

Premier could have bought that Golf and the guy you've seen before is now an employee of theirs ...for example ...

I'm closing this now, as the sale (wich was the topic of this thread) is now well and truly over.

Anything else is just speculation and could get boards into trouble.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement