Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Rock/metal bars in Edinburgh?

• 28-07-2008 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

I'm heading off to Edingurgh in a couple of days and will be there for a month, was wondering if any of the folks on here have been there before and could recommend a rock or metal bar over there?

I didn't put this in the travel section cos I thought the folks on here would be a better bet for having some ideas, if the mods think it's in the wrong place feel free to chuck it over that way, sorry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi orestes

I haven't actually been there myself (yet) but I have few mates who went to Opium in Edinburgh and loved it. Looks like a nicely chilled out place to go to. Here is a link for you. There probably aren't a lot of places out there (unfortunately) so I hope this link helps. Enjoy it.

http://www.travbuddy.com/opium-rock-club-v171556

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

DenMan wrote: »
    Hi orestes

I haven't actually been there myself (yet) but I have few mates who went to Opium in Edinburgh and loved it. Looks like a nicely chilled out place to go to. Here is a link for you. There probably aren't a lot of places out there (unfortunately) so I hope this link helps. Enjoy it.

http://www.travbuddy.com/opium-rock-club-v171556

I was in one back in May on Cowgate as well... could have been Opium but I can't remember (I was quite inebriated :pac:)
    Twas a kool place though, friendly people, music was pretty much generic rock though!

Caco wrote: »
    I was in one back in May on Cowgate as well... could have been Opium but I can't remember (I was quite inhebriated :pac:)
    Twas a kool place though, friendly people, music was pretty much generic rock though!

Could very well have been Caco. I take it, it was quite good. Don't you mean inebriated? ;)

Den

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Cool, cheers for the replies guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

Pubs with live rock bands:
    bannermans - has occasional live music, generally a good place to go.
    whistle binkies - great little place to go sit have a pint and watch a band.

Pubs with rock music:
    opium - heartily recommended, i'd advise sticking to the spirits - pints are absolute piss, and dont expect go get served in under about a half hour once it gets busy. other than that it's a really chilled place and people are generally very friendly.
    black rose tavern - not to sure about this place, wrong side of princes street for me.

Rock nightclubs:
    hive - the most hardcore place to go, can be anywhere from empty to packed depending on the night. music is a different theme every night and generally excellent, drinks are cheap and when it's busy it's epic.
    cabaret voltaire (on occassions) - mostly drum and bass stuff, but on occassion it does rock/punk bands...can be fun, but check whats on before going.

go to the site for listings of gigs.

other places of interest - henry j beans, go between 5 and 8 on a friday for packed out happy hour fun, doctors for quiet pints of ale, monster mash for the best pie in the city and revolution if you fancy chancing pulling some top class totty :)
    if you get a bit homesick then there's finegans wake, biddy mulligans and drop kick murphys for that authentic taste of home...just don't order guinness, ya can't get a good pint of it for love nor money.

have fun, it's a great city

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

pyure, you're a legend, thank you so much for your detailed reply, much appreciated.

It's stuff like this that makes me love boards :)

(I still love the rest of you who posted to help me out don't worry :D)

Cheers pyure

That's a great response. You have me wanting to go now. Enjoy the trip orestes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

no worries guys, heading back over for a few days towards the end of august myself, can't wait :)

couple of things I forgot the mention is that alot of places, opium included, will be open until 5am during the festival, and there's a rediculous amount of comedy gigs on at all hours of the day and night (up to about 1am)

also, just for the experience don't forget to visit the pubic triangle...basically three strip clubs on a corner at the far end of the grass market, burke and hare is the best of the three, look it up ;)

Advertisement