Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Loan

Options
  • 28-07-2008 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Just a few questions:

I will be going to Uni in Sep 2009 and its all grand except I need a loan to cover accommodation costs (about €3500/year, for 4 years)

1. Is it possible I can get one like in the UK where I can pay it back when I finish my degree and am employed?

2. I know we're in a recession, the credit crunch etc and all that lads, what are the chances of me getting one?

3. How soon should I look into it and apply for one? Don't want to leave it last minute if you get what I mean.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Just a few questions:

I will be going to Uni in Sep 2009 and its all grand except I need a loan to cover accommodation costs (about €3500/year, for 4 years)

1. Is it possible I can get one like in the UK where I can pay it back when I finish my degree and am employed?

2. I know we're in a recession, the credit crunch etc and all that lads, what are the chances of me getting one?

3. How soon should I look into it and apply for one? Don't want to leave it last minute if you get what I mean.

Cheers.

Start looking for a guarantor because you will need one. For 14k definate. Ask to postpone payments for a while. And as you won't need all of the 14k for a while stick the rest on deposit and make a bit of interest back when you're at it. And finally get a part time job ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Apologies if this is a ridiculous question but where do I go to contact a guarantor? Just a local Bank of Ireland or something? Postponing payments, does that mean I can pay it back after I finish Uni?

Thanks, the deposit is a nice idea but I think with such a loan used for this manner they may give me this initial amount I need for the first year (€3500) and then review the situation for the 2nd year etc opposed to giving me the €14k in full?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Guarantor will be your da or someone like that,willing to take on the loan in the event that you can't repay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Ah yeah sound sound. Well in that case I have one, but I need to know should I start contacting banks now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You might as well find out what they'll want from you,they might expect you to have saved a certain amount before they'll give you a loan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement