Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before a bank draft expires

Options
  • 28-07-2008 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

As it says on the tin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Oh, we have a banking forum. Thats new.

EDIT: Reported to the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aoraki

To the best of my knowledge, a bank draft never expires. It is purchased by cash or cleared funds, so it's as good as cash (even though you still have to wait for it to clear when you lodge it, and you can't cash it because it is essentially a crossed cheque). When I worked in a major Irish bank, they had to keep a record of the drafts outstanding, and some drafts could be years outstanding but they still needed to honoured if presented for payment.

A normal bank cheque is valid for 6 months.

Disclaimer - This information is the best part of a decade old, as that's the last time I worked in a bank branch! So I don't know if the situation has changed in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

strictly speaking , it is meant to never expire but where i work, we would not accept after 6 months.

Advertisement